DIY Opportunity w/ Monitor/Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Opportunity w/ Monitor/Amp

I've been messing around with various drum monitor/amp configurations, and hit on something that I think would be a good idea. I might undertake it as a DIY project...

Picture a floor monitor/amp that is shaped like and would be placed where the kick drum normally goes. Furthermore, you could integrate the kick drum piezo into the face of the monitor such that you rig up a kick pedal to it just like you would an acoustic kick drum.

I imagine it could be designed to be a lot less deep than an acoustic kick drum, so you don't lose the advantage of the v-drum (space efficient). Plus, I think it would look cool.

Thoughts?
    Kit: Roland TD-25K

D-lmNrCWsAA0Ayn?format=jpg&name=4096x4096.jpg
    Attached Files
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

isn't there a guy who built a speaker and his module into his kick drum? can't remember if i saw that on here or on another forum?
      Roland TD-6v all mesh, kick swapped for KD-85 mesh with iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbals, with drum splitters, and swapped CY-5 hi-hat (now using as cymbal) for an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2 VST with VEX packs.

Comment

Yes it's possible and has been attempted before!

EBDV (Electronic Bass Drum Voice)

Another thread about putting an 18inch driver in a bass drum here

I too, had this idea hit me years ago and I got pointed to these threads at the time, it's nice to finally return the favour lol!

Mark Steele was apparently was one of the first creators to successfully create one of these, years ago - but his website is down now.

I think it ends up becoming so ridiculously heavy that it undermines the point of doing it imo, but maybe the tech is more practical nowadays.
        ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
        Community Drum Module Document
        PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Internet Archive to the rescue...

https://web.archive.org/web/20160308...n.com/ebd.html

And following where the patent number leads...

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7525039B2

So I'm not totally out-to-lunch on this one. It hasn't been shot down as a completely dumb idea.

Although, I think it's a bit much to build the sound module into the kick. I'm thinking I could tear down my Yamaha MS50DR and, basically, just build a new kick-drum-shaped enclosure for it. We'll see.
          Kit: Roland TD-25K

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XezG628QXp8

Comment

Very interesting. One problem is the speakers face away from the drums. I would still need something that directly faced me. I liked the hi hat idea although I think he could do with a better sounding module for all that gear.
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
              X