Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an Edrum kit

Hey all
    Please help...I am a acoustic drummer that has been delving into the world of serums.
    After using the spdsx and some triggers, i want to change it up and build a full e kit. I bought an old junky shell pack and will get some mesh heads, a brain, and cymbals but I need you help...
    I need some mesh heads and some suggestions on what you all use. It seems drum tec are a pretty solid multi ply head system and that will work. Eventually, I will add internal triggers but for now, Iím just going to use external rolands I have to test out how I like this.

But the biggest question is the module...i really love Roland spdsx and what it can do. It just isnít set up for a full kit. A feature I need is to import full song backing samples which the spdsx does with ease. I would love to stay with Roland but am open to other companies just as long as it doesnít decrease my choice selection for cymbals when ready to purchase.

I have learned so much from this group already and I thank you. Please help me build this kit. I am very excited about it.

I think I would build a kit and use the spdsx. The Roland external triggers will cost you a lot of money. Why not get hold of some Redshot triggers which are much cheaper and do the same thing. Better still spend hardly anything on piezo disks and fix them on a L bracket with a bit of a plate and foam up to the mesh head. Put another one of the cheap piezo disks on the inside of the shell with double sided tape and then wire them up to a stereo socket. Probably cost a few pounds/dollars and you get to try it out without a big outlay. That's how I did it and found the real trickery is in the modules. Mine worked just as well as commercial triggers. I used that technique for years on my snare.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks so much for the advice. So, I already have three external triggers that I use through the spdsx. One stereo on snare, one on bass drum, and then one external pad. the spdsx only has two stereo trigger inputs so at the most four single triggers. Unfortunately, that is not enough inputs so I need to find a module that will allow for full song samples to be imported. Any thoughts on a module that will do that?

Comment

Since you decided to stick to a spdx .. i would also read the manual of a Roland TM-2.. it can read SDHC cards up to 32 gigabyte..
        it has only 2 stereo trigger inputs.. but.. with splitters this could be made into 4 single zone inputs.. looking at price this could still be a reasonable option..
        | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

i bought 14" snare and 22" kick mesh heads from 682 drums and am pretty happy with them so far. still figuring out my triggering settings for the kick but like the feel. the snare head has a weird buzzing sort of sound acoustically and feels differently than my roland pads but when i've got the module going and am playing i don't notice it anymore.
          Roland TD-6v, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

I just bought the Jobeky head kit and am waiting for them to ship. The next choice is the module. Iím leaning towards the td17 ksv and using the brain and cymbals. I wouldnít need the pass though. Does anyone on this forum buy extra pads if I try to sell them? Just trying not to spend a ton of money on this project. Then, I will probably add the internal triggers.

Comment

Not sure what country youíre in but thereís some great options out there for triggers depending on your budget. Sounds like youíre already in the Roland external trigger camp though so my only recommendation would be to stick with one vendor / type as setting up your triggers can be one of the easiest or hardest parts of dialing in your rig. So either expand with your current setup or dive into internal / other vendor solutions, but Iíd absolutely pick one track to go down. Just my personal recommendation, but Iím sure thereís different opinions out there...

As for the mesh heads - Iíve played Remo, Roland PowerPly (IE Remo 2-ply), and the Drum-Tec real feel and the Drum-Tec heads feel and trigger fantastically. BUT I do use internal triggers so there may be mixed results with them on an external trigger setup. Maybe do a quick search to see how they perform.

As for the module, the SPD should handle most of what youíre trying to accomplish. As mentioned already, you could go with a TM-2 or other other module to add inputs, but the SPD is a solid start for what youíre getting into. Maybe invest in a dedicated module vs a multi-pad down the road, but for now I think youíre off to a pretty good start.

Good luck...
              Last edited by rdubu; 08-05-19, 10:58 PM.
              Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Axis Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

Hello Rdubu,
                thanks for the reply. To clarify, I own external triggers but want to move internal triggers soon. I am very open to all options with triggers, modules, cymbals, etc...
                So, I currently own a spdsx but am on the look out for a dedicated module that can import samples. From my research, it seems that a lot of the modules are great, with great sounds, but I have been struggling to find one that imports samples that can then be triggered. Spdsx is great but only has 4 mono trigger inputs. With the drums, cymbals, etc...I am way over those inputs. Do you have ideas for a dedicated module that handles samples and has inputs for all drums and cymbals? Thanks so much for your reply. Also, Iím in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by toby7362 View Post
                  Hello Rdubu,
                  thanks for the reply. To clarify, I own external triggers but want to move internal triggers soon. I am very open to all options with triggers, modules, cymbals, etc...
                  So, I currently own a spdsx but am on the look out for a dedicated module that can import samples. From my research, it seems that a lot of the modules are great, with great sounds, but I have been struggling to find one that imports samples that can then be triggered. Spdsx is great but only has 4 mono trigger inputs. With the drums, cymbals, etc...I am way over those inputs. Do you have ideas for a dedicated module that handles samples and has inputs for all drums and cymbals? Thanks so much for your reply. Also, Iím in the US.
                  Soooo letís break this down a bit...

Triggers - I canít speak to every vendor out there, but Iím obviously a big fan of the R-Drums triggers.... That said, check out the Drone triggers as well. I think theyíre still around and would absolutely recommend them from what Iíve seen of their overall build quality and design. Very similar to R-Drums, but a few different approaches to materials that ultimately translate to some savings for the more financially mindful... That said, there are also several other options for triggers and Iím not implying these are the two ďbestĒ options. I have my personal reasons for recommending these and would absolutely recommend that you do some research on trigger options to help determine what you find to be a perfect fit...

Modules - If youíre not going to push MIDI to a VSTi, then for me the Mimic Pro is the best option on the market today. I think it should have more than enough trigger inputs for your needs and internal sample library is far above what youíll find from other vendors - to include Rolandís best options. Again, this is highly subjective so definitely do your homework and compare performance and sound quality before you commit to any solution. As for sample import - the downside here is one shot...

Sample Import - thereís a BIG difference between 1-shot and velocity-based samples. You absolutely need to consider what you want before you zero in on a module if this is a critical piece of your decision process. If you donít know, a 1-shot sample is a single audio file that has only one velocity / sound no matter how hard or soft you strike the pad. A velocity-based sample is exactly what you think it is. Itís a sample that consists of multiple audio files that correspond to how hard or soft you hit the pad. This is especially important for things like snare pads, ride cymbals, etc... Personally, and again - this is just my opinion, 1-shot samples serve a very limited use case range and I prefer that any sample import function on a module to support velocity-based sample import as a result. BUT this is where it gets REALLY frustrating... MOST module vendors - to include the Mimic Pro - only support 1-shot sample import. Even with VSTi options, youíre limited to just a couple of options if you want velocity-based sample import.

For me personally, I grew very frustrated trying to import samples into a module that quickly became a huge bottleneck in my rig. So I ditched the entire approach and simply focused on what I considered to be the best sample engine to run my setup. Which for me was a VSTi solution.... Once that decision was made, I went looking for the best trigger to MIDI solution I could find. Ultimately I landed on Roland to handle my R-Drums triggers, but this decision was made not because it had anything to do with their sample library. I happen to think that they actually have a pretty crappy sample library - again very subjective and just my opinion... BUT Roland provides things like positional sensing and happens to handle my R-Drums triggers fantastically well. I had ZERO issues with setup and compatibility which for me was big MUST HAVE. Others are game to troubleshoot all day, but I did quite a bit of that early on with my eDrums adventures and on this round I just wanted a more plug-n-play solution.

Look, I know this is along rant, but it hopefully helps you get a perspective on things and maybe helps you save some time on dialing in what youíre looking for. As always, I strongly recommend you get some additional opinions and check out other sources before you pull the trigger on anything.

Good hunting...

Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Axis Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

Not a long rant at all. Very much appreciate your insight as i am very limited on my edrum knowledge and want to make the right ďchoicesĒ form the beginning. With that said, I have read that there are latency issues with modules other than Roland. Also, you must choose the right module because cymbal selection becomes limited with certain modules. Thoughts?

I am am going to purchase another trigger and will look into your suggestions.

The module and samples....I wasnít sure if the samples I was triggering are one shot but I believe they are. I probably could have referred to them as backing tracks as wav files...for example when a chorus comes along, I will trigger a backing vocal line for the entire chorus. I need to make sure the module can:
                    1. Import sounds from outside source (computer)
                    2. The module has enough memory, power, etc...to handle a longer sample over a minute (as the backing track goes an entire chorus)

i would rather not have extra machines if not necessary like a laptop or other modules but am also looking for the best option that is not super hard to set up and has decent audio quality. Would the mimic pro handle this? What are the limitations with that machine? I have become comfortable with Roland so that is what I would compare it to.

thanks so much. Looking forward to your response rdubu or anyone else who has thoughts. Have a great day.
                    Last edited by toby7362; 08-08-19, 07:47 AM.

Comment

So the Mimic is limited to 20-second samples, so it might not be a fantastic fit if your goal is to trigger backing tracks...

So then thinking about your use case(s), maybe check out the 2Box Drumit 5 MKII. It specifically calls out the fact that you can import full length songs and trigger them from any pad. So I would assume itís a fit. I believe thereís some more work in dialing in some of the stock samples and/or importing your preferred samples for the drums and cymbal pads, but Iíve also heard very good things about their sample editor software so it should be pretty straight forward.

Hereís a few links I would check out:

http://2box-drums.com/products/drumit-five-mkii/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CUP38SGMKMo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jk3ib6fEH7s

Iím certainly a Roland fan too, but I donít believe they support large file sample imports. Maybe someone else knows?...

Comment

Working...
                      X