Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY 2 zone cowbell - is it possible??

Hello,

Like the subject says. Is it possible to do? I've a dual piezo wired, could I put one on the edge one on the body? Will there be a lot of cross talk? Any tips? Inspired by Marcels video on VdrumTips.

I've made one but i've used a switch on the edge. You can use this FSR to make the switch : https://www.robotshop.com/en/interlink-24-long-fsr.html
    it can be cut to fit the width of your cowbell

Comment

You can find a similar one from Gear Drum:
      https://www.facebook.com/geardrum/vi...8736412828538/

Comment

FSR - easier, but requires power and stuff.

Piezo + a switch could be done. So, piezo picks up the hit, switch detects location. So if your module handles piezo/switch inputs then good. (like a dual-zone rubber pad works)

2 x Piezos Possible if you can isolate a bit. See Yamaha's BP80 for example which is dual-piezo in a single metal unit. (or Pintech etc). Piezos are under rubber strikes, then mounted on foam.

701404000000000-00-290x290.jpg
        Last edited by electrodrummer; 06-19-19, 04:36 PM.
        *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
          FSR - easier, but requires power and stuff.

No power and no other stuff needed with FSR, just the fsr as a switch and it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylv1co View Post

No power and no other stuff needed with FSR, just the fsr as a switch and it's done.
            What I meant was using FSRs only and picking up velocity. Same method as used by Alternate Mode to create multiple distinct zones
            *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
            Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

You're right, mine was piezo/switch and the switch was made with the long FSR.

Comment

amazon selling "short" FSR, wonder if this should work? and how to solder to stereo jack? https://www.amazon.com/SENSING-RESIS...HHT380M3W2Z5M4

Comment

I've made one but i've used a switch on the edge. You can use this FSR to make the switch : https://www.robotshop.com/en/interlink-24-long-fsr.html
                  it can be cut to fit the width of your cowbell
                  can you post your cowbell and how to solder FSR + piezo to stereo jack? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
                    amazon selling "short" FSR, wonder if this should work? and how to solder to stereo jack? https://www.amazon.com/SENSING-RESIS...HHT380M3W2Z5M4
                    You must admit that the round shape of this fsr don't seem to be ideal for our purpose. The long fsr make it easy to get reliable triggering all along the edge of the bell.

can you post your cowbell and how to solder FSR + piezo to stereo jack? thanks.
                    Piezo is wired between tip and sleeve, fsr is wired between ring and sleeve. Polarity of piezo and FSR don't matter.
                    I'm trying tonight to make a new dual zone cowbell, will post some pics if I can get it to work good.

Comment

You must admit that the round shape of this fsr don't seem to be ideal for our purpose. The long fsr make it easy to get reliable triggering all along the edge of the bell.

Piezo is wired between tip and sleeve, fsr is wired between ring and sleeve. Polarity of piezo and FSR don't matter.
                      I'm trying tonight to make a new dual zone cowbell, will post some pics if I can get it to work good.
                      waiting for photos, thanks.

Comment

IMG_0909.JPGIMG_0912.JPGIMG_0915.JPGIMG_0916.JPG

A bit ugly but it works good. The fsr is very sensitive. It could deserves some adjustements to reduce a bit the size of the edge zone, but it's very playable as this.

Comment

Nice! Curious as to how the fsr acts as a switch? What trigger parameters have to be set up?

Comment

No parameter to tweak, just set the pad type to piezo/switch (like all e-cymbals) and it's done.
                            The resistance of the FSR drop down quickly to about 3kOhm, it lets pass few volts from ring to sleeve, enough for a Roland module to trigger the edge sound.
                            I'm not 100% sure that other module brands can trigger edge sound with fsr instead of real switch...

Comment

Awesome! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X