Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trigger for pearl brass free floating snare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trigger for pearl brass free floating snare?

pearl snare.jpgi have a pearl brass free floating snare with no snare side head kicking around i'd like to convert A2E

trigger wise most of the snare triggers that seem to be recommended are center mounted using L brackets inside the drum, but this drum doesn't have anything inside to attach to

am I basically limited to a top mounted trigger then or are there other options i'm not thinking of?

also ideally i'd prefer something that isn't center mounted (though still inside the shell) like the roland PDX12 I've been renting. my module doesn't support positional sensing anyway and I find far less hot spotting and better triggering with the PDX12 than my current PD-105 (which i'm pretty sure also needs a cone replacement)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by winterson; 06-08-19, 08:27 PM.
    Roland TD-6v all mesh, kick swapped for KD-85 mesh with iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbals, with drum splitters, and swapped CY-5 hi-hat (now using as cymbal) for an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2 VST with VEX packs.

Quartz trigger harness could work + a bit of soldering?

Depending on whether you wanted dual zone, I would probably hole punch the reso head and feed a TRS extender through - leaving the female end poking out since you don't seem to have a vent.
    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
    Community Drum Module Document
    PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Are you converting the snare just to keep it or to have another pad? IMHO, this guy has far more potential as a regular snare for gigs or recording, so if you're not planning on those, why not sell and get a better pad?
      •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
      •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
      •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

cool.. i've got a pearl ff brass.. 14 x 5 and also had the shell nickelized, so now it's a nickel over brass (sounds great..) but..
        if i was to make it a triggered drum.. i would put 2 strips of velcro inside and velcro on this trigger bar.. which is adjustable
        so on top of the velcro, you can put tension on the bar.. so it pushes against the shell.. this would make it strong enough..
        also i'd shift the piezo to 6 o'clock by using extra bolts.. https://jobekydrums.co.uk/product/jo...rigger-system/
        and ps. ..you could also buy any (cheap) undrilled wooden shell (online) and make an 'electronic shell' (shell fits holder)
        and rebuild it back to a brass shell in 15 minutes ...
        Last edited by Ericdrumz; 06-09-19, 04:05 AM.
        | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post
          Are you converting the snare just to keep it or to have another pad? IMHO, this guy has far more potential as a regular snare for gigs or recording, so if you're not planning on those, why not sell and get a better pad?
          it's a great snare, but no gigging or recording in my near future. i've used it for that in the past, but i basically haven't played in like 8 years due to apartment living and i'm just trying to get back into playing at all these days. trying to sell my second acoustic kit and i've already got a black panther snare on the one i'm keeping.

this guy's just been sitting in the closet, so it's just kicking around. also don't have a snare side/reso head for it. old one broke and i haven't replaced it. figured this would be a way to make use of what i've got on hand. also selling is a pain in the ass, currently dealing with enough idiots asking moronic questions like "would you deliver this kit to a city 4 hours away?" just trying to sell my mapex set or people who seemed more interested whether or not i still had the carrying case for my DW5002 than the pedals themselves.
          Roland TD-6v all mesh, kick swapped for KD-85 mesh with iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbals, with drum splitters, and swapped CY-5 hi-hat (now using as cymbal) for an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2 VST with VEX packs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
            cool.. i've got a pearl ff brass.. 14 x 5 and also had the shell nickelized, so now it's a nickel over brass (sounds great..) but..
            if i was to make it a triggered drum.. i would put 2 strips of velcro inside and velcro on this trigger bar.. which is adjustable
            so on top of the velcro, you can put tension on the bar.. so it pushes against the shell.. this would make it strong enough..
            also i'd shift the piezo to 6 o'clock by using extra bolts.. https://jobekydrums.co.uk/product/jo...rigger-system/
            and ps. ..you could also buy any (cheap) undrilled wooden shell (online) and make an 'electronic shell' (shell fits holder)
            and rebuild it back to a brass shell in 15 minutes ...
            you really think velcro would be sturdy enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post

Depending on whether you wanted dual zone, I would probably hole punch the reso head and feed a TRS extender through - leaving the female end poking out since you don't seem to have a vent.
              this is the one option i've seen that seems like it would work. only concerns are that i'd prefer something that wasn't center mounted and i've also never soldered a thing in my life. wouldn't know a soldering gun to see one, though i asked my brother to lend me one because i'd like to try and make a DIY cymbal to try and convert some L80s later. doubt i'll be successful but figured its worth a try.

Comment

coupled with the tension you put on the bar.. but.. with a metal shell you can see it has a hollow bearing edge (folded) and a bottom edge (folded)
                -if you are handy- ..you could make 2 wooden posts exactly on size.. and wringe them tight in between both rims.. now you can drill anything into
                those 2 support posts.. which can handle any downward force.. and by clamping radially can handle anything .. just another idea..
                | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

my life would be much easier if i was at all handy, but i'm very much not.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post

Good ideas .... no soldering needed with the Quartz harness though. The wires all have terminal ends that plug in.
                    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Wondering if i don't bother putting a reso/snare side head on it (which i wasn't going to) if i could mount some sort of L shaped bar setup (like those jobecky triggers use) off one of the lugs on the bottom pointing up into the drum to the other head

need to go look around at the hardware store

Comment

If you don't plan on selling or modding, and don't care about the ps, why not just buy a rim mounted trigger? As you asked, it's not the only option, but it seems the most suitable.
                        •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•

Comment

it's an option, and i'm halfway leaning that way (watching a roland RT-10 on ebay), just trying to consider all options but there's so many and nowhere to try any of this stuff. hate buying stuff without being able to try it first, especially since none of the options are especially cheap. really want to convert my kick as well but any bass drum head is already going to cost me ~$80 on it's own even before whatever a trigger costs.

anyway just trying to figure out what my cost options are for rim mounted, internal, or if they end up being so much i may as well just go buy a roland PDX-12 instead of trying to re-create one.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post
                            anyway just trying to figure out what my cost options are for rim mounted, internal, or if they end up being so much i may as well just go buy a roland PDX-12 instead of trying to re-create one.
                            That was exactly my point when I mentioned selling the ff. I paid for one of those ~250$, even without heads, it can buy you a nice pad. Anyway, the snare itself deserves more than being a pad, and you would be better off with a real one than a DIY, especially with this one being tricky to convert.

You'd just have to put up with some buyers questions A direct trade for a pad could also be an option to speed things up...

Comment

ya, you're probably right.

tossed an ad up on kijiji, we'll see what happens

i'm assuming you mean $250 USD? ads on reverb and ebay are all over the place in pricing, not sure what to post it for

Comment

Working...
                              X