Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum FAQs section for answers to forum related FAQs.

Roland PD-140DS inspired build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joshuas
    Registered Member
    • 03-2019

Roland PD-140DS inspired build

Here's what one of them looked like after I smoothed it out a bit

I then made the lugs. And anodized and dyed them, it turns out I made them all about 1/16 inch too small so the tension rods go in at a slight angle. It all works, but I would have preferred everything to be straight.

Last edited by joshuas; 03-07-19, 06:49 PM. Reason: Moved images to Imgur, attachments weren't working
  • joshuas
    Registered Member
    • 03-2019

I glued up 16 staves of mahogany for the shell and milled them into a shape that would hold all my sensors and electronics and had a nice edge for the drum head.

Last edited by joshuas; 03-07-19, 06:55 PM. Reason: Moved images to Imgur, attachments weren't working

Comment

• joshuas
      Registered Member
      • 03-2019

Last edited by joshuas; 03-07-19, 06:56 PM. Reason: Moved images to Imgur, attachments weren't working

Comment

• ignotus
        Registered Member
        • 01-2012

Wow

Have a look at wooden hoops, you should have no problem making one with your CNC machine and it'd look great with that stave shell.

I'd be interested to know how you'd integrate this pad with the rest of an e-kit. Would it need to plug into the MIDI in/through perhaps? Or do you intend to expand this to a whole kit?

Fantastic work.
        Megadrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY 2 & 3-zone cymbals, DIY hall-effect 3-zone hi-hat, El Cheapo buttkicker, DIY trigger beaters on DIY longboard/direct drive modded pedals. DIY IEMs. Some kit pics/history. Check out Jamulus for real-time online jamming!

Comment

• dennisdoubleu
          Registered Member
          • 04-2013

Wow, that is something special.
          E-kit: TD50KV with KD A22, SPD-SX, BT-1, Acoustic: DW Custom, Maple Mahogany, Zildjian K Customs, Sweet and Darks, Pork Pie Thrones, Tama Speed Cobras and DW HW, Zildjian sticks. Midas 32C, MD421, EV ND46, ND96, SM57, SM81. Past kits include Roland TD9 Mesh and TD30K.

Comment

• Aka Wayne
            Registered Member
            • 01-2019

Wow that is amazing. How does the capacitive plate thing work. And can you give some details about how it is wired?

Comment

• joshuas
              Registered Member
              • 03-2019

Originally posted by ignotus
              Wow

Have a look at wooden hoops, you should have no problem making one with your CNC machine and it'd look great with that stave shell.

I'd be interested to know how you'd integrate this pad with the rest of an e-kit. Would it need to plug into the MIDI in/through perhaps? Or do you intend to expand this to a whole kit?

Fantastic work.

I was going to build wood hoops. I have the stave things cut out I just haven't done it because I've been having fun playing.

This is a stand alone midi device. I plug my drum module into my computer and I plug this in separately. I never use the sounds in my module, so I don't need the snare going thru the module. If I needed that I'd probably echo serial midi to the module.

The end goal would either be to have a bunch of independent drums each as a midi device or if the teensy is fast enough I'd just have it process the audio from the other drum/cymbals.

Comment

• joshuas
                Registered Member
                • 03-2019

Originally posted by Aka Wayne
                Wow that is amazing. How does the capacitive plate thing work. And can you give some details about how it is wired?
                The teensy https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy32.html has pins that can be put into "touch sense" mode and when a capacitive body like you hand comes near it can detect it. The bigger the plate to be effected by your capacitive field the easier it is to detect. I have all the panels isolated from the base blue plate, and connected together with those white wires with red connectors. Then they are all connected to one of the touch pins on the teensy.

Comment

• pumpal
                  Registered Member
                  • 04-2015

Fantastic job indeed - very inspiring .. Can you share what tool end did you use to mill the cones, also at what speed ? Thanks!
                  1982 TAMA Superstar

Comment

• Aka Wayne
                    Registered Member
                    • 01-2019

**** this makes my dual zone cymbal trigger thread look like a joke. No wonder no one resonded. I want a CNC machine so bad.

Comment

• angr77
                      e-drummer
                      • 10-2010

Nice!

Keep up the good work!

Best regards

anders / www.zourman.com
                      Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Dingbat,Triggera D14, D11, ATV AD-h14, PCY-155, 120MHz MD with PS board, 2box 3/5/5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.19. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

• joshuas
                        Registered Member
                        • 03-2019

Originally posted by pumpal
                        Fantastic job indeed - very inspiring .. Can you share what tool end did you use to mill the cones, also at what speed ? Thanks!
                        It was just a 1/8 ball nose endmill I had lying around, probably 4 flute. My machine tops out at 7500RPM, but the faster the better I imagine. Feed was probably 20IPM

Comment

• Dreamdrummer
                          Registered Member
                          • 06-2015

Wow, this is DIY on a very high level.

Nice work man!
                          Ludwig Epic, Roland Mesh-heads, DIY Cymbals, Roland TD-9, EZdrummer2 + EZX

Comment

• Ericdrumz
                            Registered Member
                            • 10-2006

+1.. it's some awesome work..
                            ps. if you change the shape of holes in the hoop to oblong.. wouldn't it get the tension rod angles straight ?
                            (maybe need some bigger washers)
                            Last edited by Ericdrumz; 03-08-19, 07:36 AM.
                            Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip/Meinl cymbals

Comment

• redtide
                              Registered Member
                              • 05-2017

Really awesome, I like the teensy32 too, someone calls it an "arduino on steroids"
                              I wonder if you will keep this closed source or have you an idea to make it open in some shared repository (GIT and the like)
                              Roland TD-12 module, MegaDrum Trigger module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal, DIY A2E Chang dual zone cymbals.

Comment

Working...