Roland PD-140DS inspired build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland PD-140DS inspired build

Hi guys. I got a lot of valuable information from your forum in my effort to make a MIDI drum. And for that Iíd like to thank you. I decided to try to clone the Roland PD-140DS because it seemed to have the most software problems to solve, and Iím primarily a software guy. Iím sure my version is missing plenty of the features from the Roland drum, but ignorance is bliss. I donít know if this info will interest anyone, but I figured Iíd post it for posterity. I made pretty much every part of the drum except the head and hoop. I might make the hoop later. I usually donít make consumables because I wonít want to do it again later. BTW, Iím a terrible drummer, and donít even know what Iím doing, but Iím happy with what Iíve got so far.

The drum I built has 4 cones, a rimshot piezo under the bottom plate, and capacitive plates right below the head to tell if youíre resting your hand on the head for cross stick. I havenít finished all the wiggly bits of the software, but I can detect each of these things independently. It turns out Iíve had so much fun playing it Iíve sorta dropped the ball on tying everything up into a nice package, but I figured Iíd post while it was somewhat fresh in my head and Iím able to answer questions.

I do own a CNC mill, so some of this may be considered cheating. Iím going to post a bunch of pictures and let them do the talking. I'll have to do it in multiple posts, since I can only post 5 pictures.

I made the foam cones from poron purchased from McMaster Carr. Itís a bit expensive for foam, but it worked pretty well.

Here's what one of them looked like after I smoothed it out a bit

I then made the lugs. And anodized and dyed them, it turns out I made them all about 1/16 inch too small so the tension rods go in at a slight angle. It all works, but I would have preferred everything to be straight.

Last edited by joshuas; 03-07-19, 06:49 PM. Reason: Moved images to Imgur, attachments weren't working

I glued up 16 staves of mahogany for the shell and milled them into a shape that would hold all my sensors and electronics and had a nice edge for the drum head.

I made plates for the bottom and middle to hold the sensors. The bat shaped plates are for the capacitive sensing. I anodized them all, but the big plates turned out hard to anodize because my tank isnít big enough. Oh well. I forget why I didnít dye the capacitive plates.

Last edited by joshuas; 03-07-19, 06:55 PM. Reason: Moved images to Imgur, attachments weren't working

Comment

Here it is all assembled. Thereís a USB port on the bottom. You can see the skew on the tension rods in this picture.

I used a teensy 3.2 board to provide the midi output and the signal processing on the input. I really like the teensy and it has a capacitive sensing pin, so it seemed an obvious choice. I did program it in Arduino mode as opposed to straight micro controller mode because I was lazy, the libraries available were nice to use, and it was fast enough this way. I donít have any pictures of this, but itís just a teensy 3.2 with wires connected to it in an obvious way.

I wrote a test program that read the sensor data from each of the sensors since they need to be "balanced" and I needed to see what data I got to try and detect a hit. Since I get the sensors independently I can turn up or down each of the sensors' contribution to the mix. I really ought to look at the settings on a real pd-140. I'm sure there's some settings I haven't got.
      Last edited by joshuas; 03-07-19, 06:56 PM. Reason: Moved images to Imgur, attachments weren't working

Comment

Wow

Have a look at wooden hoops, you should have no problem making one with your CNC machine and it'd look great with that stave shell.

I'd be interested to know how you'd integrate this pad with the rest of an e-kit. Would it need to plug into the MIDI in/through perhaps? Or do you intend to expand this to a whole kit?

Fantastic work.
        MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo Buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. Kit pics thread

Comment

Wow, that is something special.
          E-kit: TD50KV with KD A22, SPD-SX, BT-1, Acoustic: DW Custom, Maple Mahogany, Zildjian K Customs, Sweet and Darks, Pork Pie Thrones, Tama Speed Cobras and DW HW, Zildjian sticks. Midas 32C, MD421, EV ND46, ND96, SM57, SM81. Past kits include Roland TD9 Mesh and TD30K.

Comment

Wow that is amazing. How does the capacitive plate thing work. And can you give some details about how it is wired?

Comment

Originally posted by ignotus View Post
              Wow

Have a look at wooden hoops, you should have no problem making one with your CNC machine and it'd look great with that stave shell.

I'd be interested to know how you'd integrate this pad with the rest of an e-kit. Would it need to plug into the MIDI in/through perhaps? Or do you intend to expand this to a whole kit?

Fantastic work.

I was going to build wood hoops. I have the stave things cut out I just haven't done it because I've been having fun playing.

This is a stand alone midi device. I plug my drum module into my computer and I plug this in separately. I never use the sounds in my module, so I don't need the snare going thru the module. If I needed that I'd probably echo serial midi to the module.

The end goal would either be to have a bunch of independent drums each as a midi device or if the teensy is fast enough I'd just have it process the audio from the other drum/cymbals.

Comment

Originally posted by Aka Wayne View Post
                Wow that is amazing. How does the capacitive plate thing work. And can you give some details about how it is wired?
                The teensy https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy32.html has pins that can be put into "touch sense" mode and when a capacitive body like you hand comes near it can detect it. The bigger the plate to be effected by your capacitive field the easier it is to detect. I have all the panels isolated from the base blue plate, and connected together with those white wires with red connectors. Then they are all connected to one of the touch pins on the teensy.

Comment

Fantastic job indeed - very inspiring .. Can you share what tool end did you use to mill the cones, also at what speed ? Thanks!
                  ATV aD5, (Roland TD-15 for sale!)
                  TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

**** this makes my dual zone cymbal trigger thread look like a joke. No wonder no one resonded. I want a CNC machine so bad.

Comment

Nice!

Keep up the good work!

Best regards

anders / www.zourman.com
                      Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Originally posted by pumpal View Post
                        Fantastic job indeed - very inspiring .. Can you share what tool end did you use to mill the cones, also at what speed ? Thanks!
                        It was just a 1/8 ball nose endmill I had lying around, probably 4 flute. My machine tops out at 7500RPM, but the faster the better I imagine. Feed was probably 20IPM

Comment

Wow, this is DIY on a very high level.

Nice work man!
                          Ludwig Epic, Roland Mesh-heads, DIY Cymbals, Roland TD-9, EZdrummer2 + EZX

Comment

+1.. it's some awesome work..
                            ps. if you change the shape of holes in the hoop to oblong.. wouldn't it get the tension rod angles straight ?
                            (maybe need some bigger washers)
                            Last edited by Ericdrumz; 03-08-19, 07:36 AM.
                            | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Really awesome, I like the teensy32 too, someone calls it an "arduino on steroids"
                              I wonder if you will keep this closed source or have you an idea to make it open in some shared repository (GIT and the like)
                              Roland TD-12 module, MegaDrum Trigger module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal, DIY A2E Chang dual zone cymbals.

Comment

Working...
                              X