Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual Zone Cymbal Trigger DIY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dual Zone Cymbal Trigger DIY

    Hi everyone,

    So I have had the goal of making a standalone dual zone cymbal trigger that could be easily installed and removed from any a to e cymbal. I also wanted to make it adjustable for sensitivity based on cymbal characteristics such as shape and thickness. This is my oh so elegant solution. Mind this is a working prototype so it is not at all cleaned up. I basically cut two strips of 22ga steel that I had laying around. One is longer than the other. A 20mm piezo is attatch to the inside face of the shorter piece of metal. Then I sandwiched three layers of vic firth mute to keep them about one inch apart. I then connected the two pieces with some bolts and locking washers which made the long arm adjustable. A microswitch is placed at the end of the long arm and comes in contact with the cymbal when the edge is struck. So far it works surprisingly well.

    File_000 (12).jpegFile_003 (1).jpegFile_004 (2).jpegFile_001.jpeg
    Attached Files

  • #2
    MKII just came off the printer. Hopefully will test it out tonight.
    File_000.jpeg

    Comment


    • #3
      Looks interesting and definitely a great idea.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

      Comment


      • #4
        Looks like a simple and effective solution, I just wonder how good could be a micro switch compared to a membrane switch for sustained cymbal swells using recent drum modules.
        Roland TD-12 module, MegaDrum Trigger module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal, DIY A2E Chang dual zone cymbals.

        Comment


        • #5
          You could ground the cymbal, use something conductive at the end of the arm and do away with the microswitch. Fewer parts that could potentially fail.
          MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo Buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. Kit pics thread

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ignotus View Post
            You could ground the cymbal, use something conductive at the end of the arm and do away with the microswitch. Fewer parts that could potentially fail.
            Right, I forgot that you could use the cymbal as one switch contact and use a small metal plate for the other one on the trigger support.
            Roland TD-12 module, MegaDrum Trigger module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal, DIY A2E Chang dual zone cymbals.

            Comment


            • #7
              I considered that. My goal is to create an all in one dual zone trigger that I can slap on any acoustic cymbal and wrap it with a rubber profile for easy convertablity. I'm going to do this next with my A customs, A and K cymbals I have. Here is my finished working prototype on my converted ride that is dampened with bitumen. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. The sensitivity of the miser switch is completely and easily adjustable by the wing nut on the bottom. Now just waiting on my runner profiles to arrive.
              image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                image.jpeg I finished my trigger and mounted on my K custom session ride. The results are great. The response to the edge trigger is fantastic and totally adjustable for your style. I personally like washy rides that crash out easily so I made the edge rather sensitive. However with the design it only goes off when you hit on the edge.

                At first the edge was double triggering like crazy. The rubber profiles do such a fantastic job of maintaining the natural vibrations of the cymbal but deadening the sound almost completely. Better that the bitumen I used before. And the resulting tones of each cymbal are distinct and not unpleasant. However the vibrations on my medium thin 20in ride were bouncing off The diving board-like trigger arm. I fixed it with the yellow foam. It completely deadens the after shock and isolates the micro switch. The result is a super sensitive 1-2 in from the edge and everything else is all bow as hard as I hit. I just added a third bell piezo but haven't configured it yet in the module.
                image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
                Attached Files

                Comment

                Working...
                X