DIY Electronic Timbales!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Electronic Timbales!

Hi All, I am working on a new live music project and wanted a Standing Drum set.

After a quick search I found the Tama Cocktail set and ...Timbales? Yea, I can do Timbales!

No electrictronic Timbales or Cocktail Kits out there on the market

I will build my own

I decided to spend 0 dollars and do the shop at home thing (I have way too much stuff!)

The "Rack" is the bottom half of a speaker stand that top half got left behind at a club never to be seen again!

The cross bar is left over bar from a Yamaha rack as well as some clamps and the cymbal arm. The rest of the clamps are from my pot luck drum bin.

The DM Dock Is a thing that sat in the closet since my old drummer tested it and said "NO WAY!" Luckily I still have DM Touch on my old iPad and it all still works.

The Drums are a 10" and an 8" tom cut in half, wrapped with contact paper and Billy Blast mesh heads.

I soldered up the triggers myself they are 30mm piezo's on Garage door track brackets- they are basically slotted "L" brackets and foam golf balls cut in half. Wired up to 1/4" jacks

The Cymbal is a pintec plastic practice 8" with a project box mounted underneath with 27mm piezo and 1/4' jack

The "Pipe Bomb" triggers are built from Beatniks illustration. I just painted them black before I glued the rubber on.

This set up has 5 triggers so it could be traditional timbales with cowbell, block, cymbal ect.

I set it up for a stand up, no pedal, industrial kit with a kick, snare, tom, Hi Hat, and crash. I also have a kit called War Drums with big toms and some ethnic percussion

5 piece DDRUM A to E Kit: Roland TD-11 Module with DIY Triggers and Mesh Heads, Roland CY-8 Crash, Yamaha PCY-135 Ride and Roland CY-5 Hi Hat using GoEdrum Controller. Plus Two other Complete DIY kits. One mini and one micro

Wow, that's mighty resourceful and sleek looking! You even got it to match the newest Roland rack system... Got any magnets lying around? No joke, great job!
    °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°
    °•Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•°
    °•Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•°

Comment

Great stuff. You can’t beat the satisfaction of making your own. Like the idea of foam golf balls.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

This is awesome!

Comment

Thanks guys! it is fun to play! I have not seen the new Roland rack system yet. What are the magnets for?

I wish I could take credit for the Foam Golf balls but I saw it somewhere else. I would like to give credit where credit is due but I can't remember the source. It works great for a simple single zone, A fat "L" bracket. some double stick foam tape and a foam golf ball cut in half on a piezo!

I am already in plans to build another, (Both speaker stands had their tops left behind at a club and I have had the bottoms for years just sitting around)
          5 piece DDRUM A to E Kit: Roland TD-11 Module with DIY Triggers and Mesh Heads, Roland CY-8 Crash, Yamaha PCY-135 Ride and Roland CY-5 Hi Hat using GoEdrum Controller. Plus Two other Complete DIY kits. One mini and one micro

Comment

Originally posted by Ralis View Post
            I have not seen the new Roland rack system yet. What are the magnets for?
            https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...tom-suspension
            °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°
            °•Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•°
            °•Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•°

Comment

Working...
            X