Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trigger recommendations for acoustic shells with mesh heads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trigger recommendations for acoustic shells with mesh heads

    Have an acoustic kit with mesh heads. Using the Roland TD-50 as the brain and using the Roland snare and kick. The issue I'm running into is the toms with the Roland RT-30H triggers. They seem to be very picky about where and how you hit the drum.

    I've looked at the ddt truss, Rdrum and Jobeky triggers. What would you recommend?

    I'm located in the US, if that matters.

  • #2
    Which Mesh Heads do you use?

    Roland Trigger with Roland Module should work pretty good.
    Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Trigger ing AD2 and SSD5.

    Comment


    • #3
      How wide is the diameter of your drums? If around 14 inch or more you're probably better going for cross bar triggers. I have UFO bar triggers and they're great. I have them for all my drums and they trigger excellently. They're based in the states too so shipping should be cheap for you. Their condom rim protectors are great too.

      The only caveat is that the wiring can be a little bit finicky, nothing major but they're not exactly plug and play but for the price vs competitors I can't recommend enough.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi JQ85. Do you have the octacone or did you upgrade the cone? If you have octacone and a postional detecting module are you getting pos sensing to work? I cannot seem to get positional detection to work with my octacone on my drop in cake pan triggers and I think it may be the shape of the cone, or the fact that there is not a groove cut for the wires which puts a slight bend on the piezo.

        Comment


        • #5
          I got the upgraded blue cones I think. I have a td12 so it has positional sensing but I have never really noticed the PS on it. I use Steven Slate drums which doesn't support PS on superior drummer does, but I don't think PS is really that important to be honest. Trigger response and sensitivity is far more important, and I think the UFO trigger bar is great. Prob you would need it on smaller Toms but I love it on the bass snare and floor toms

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the reply.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
              Which Mesh Heads do you use?

              Roland Trigger with Roland Module should work pretty good.
              Using these Pintech heads: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-12-inch-white

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JQ85 View Post
                How wide is the diameter of your drums? If around 14 inch or more you're probably better going for cross bar triggers. I have UFO bar triggers and they're great. I have them for all my drums and they trigger excellently. They're based in the states too so shipping should be cheap for you. Their condom rim protectors are great too.

                The only caveat is that the wiring can be a little bit finicky, nothing major but they're not exactly plug and play but for the price vs competitors I can't recommend enough.
                16, 12, and 10 on the toms. Any idea how the UFO bars compare to the Jobeky or rdrum triggers?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kingrazor View Post

                  16, 12, and 10 on the toms. Any idea how the UFO bars compare to the Jobeky or rdrum triggers?
                  I think they are all similar in design.

                  I have UFO eBridges for my A2E (10/12/14/18). They trigger wonderfully.

                  I also have an r-drums RTB trigger (14). It triggers great, too!

                  It might come down to your location. If you live in the USA then UFO is convenient and affordable. If you live in Europe then Jobeky or R-drums might be a better consideration.
                  Last edited by super_freak; 02-20-19, 07:07 PM.
                  Pearl Mimic Pro; Acrylic Shells; UFO eBridges; R-Drums RTB Trigger; ATV/Roland Cymbals.

                  TD-50DP; KD-9; PDX-100(x4); VH-13; Roland Cymbals.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by super_freak View Post

                    I think they are all similar in design.

                    I have UFO eBridges for my A2E (10/12/14/18). They trigger wonderfully.

                    I also have an r-drums RTB trigger (14). It triggers great, too!

                    It might come down to your location. If you live in the USA then UFO is convenient and affordable. If you live in Europe then Jobeky or R-drums might be a better consideration.
                    Yep, US. The UFOs look quite a bit cheaper, so if they're just as good that's what I'd like to go with.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Whatever you do. don't put a trigger anywhere near where you are going to hit the head.
                      Go for side mounted triggers on smaller the 14 inch drums. Use a crossbar for larger drums, but don't put te trigger in the center. No matter how expensive the set up, if you hit the head directly on top of the sensor you'll get a hot spot. And that is the most annoying thing in e-drumming
                      Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Viperr View Post
                        Whatever you do. don't put a trigger anywhere near where you are going to hit the head.
                        Go for side mounted triggers on smaller the 14 inch drums. Use a crossbar for larger drums, but don't put te trigger in the center. No matter how expensive the set up, if you hit the head directly on top of the sensor you'll get a hot spot. And that is the most annoying thing in e-drumming
                        I second this!
                        I even have a side-mounted DIY trigger on my 16" floor. No hotspots and works like a charm
                        Ludwig Epic, Roland Mesh-heads, DIY Cymbals, Roland TD-9, EZdrummer2 + EZX

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hi all. New to the group here.

                          I have the TD-25kv and am replacing the snare and the bass with Yamaha Stage Custom Birch - 14" snare and 18" bass. I ordered the UFO triggers and now waiting for everything to com in. Can't wait to try them out.
                          Roland TD-25kv, DW5000 double bass and HH, Yamaha Stage Custom snare and bass, UFO triggers, Superior Drummer 3, and a basement full of other music related stuff.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X