Convert Diamond Kit Into Acoustic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Diamond Kit Into Acoustic

Has anyone converted an electronic kit (diamond in this case) into an acoustic kit?

My circumstances have changed and I have no need for my lovely 3 piece jazz kit in electronic form anymore.

I could sell it, but as it would just be to buy an acoustic kit maybe I could cut out the middle man and convert it.

In my head, it's just about replacing the skins and removing the electronics, but I wonder if it really is that simple...

Can anyone offer advice/opinion?

Thanks,
    Diamond 12"x5" snare + 12"x7" tom + 13"x13" floor tom + 18"x12" bass (all on order).
    MegaDrum trigger-2-midi
    Superior Drummer 2.0 for Mac
    MacBook Pro with 8gig RAM
    Echo Audiofire 2 soundcard.
    VH-11 hi hat, 1xCY-12/RC, 1xPCY-135

If I remember correctly, Diamond uses good quality shells so if you convert them to acoustic they should sound pretty good. Replacing the heads and removing the electronics should be all that you have to do as adding the electronics and mesh heads is all that you have to do to convert acoustic to electric. Should be a fun and interesting project. If you decide to move forward keep us informed of your progress.

Comment

How many lugs do they have? I have a diamond 13 snare which has 6 lugs but to tension a standard head evenly you would need 8 or 10 lugs on a 14 snare (all my snares are 10 lugs) same goes for the larger drums as well. Check out a decent kit of the same sizes and see if your diamonds have the same amount of lugs. Also check for even cut bearing edge on top and bottom.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Adding to previous posts, with which I agree, I would surely at least get a decent snare. It could turn out that the original one 'works' (after adding snares and a snare bed to the bottom edge), but even a mid-tier proper snare would make the whole kit sound more serious. The snare and the cymbals make for most of the sound in an acoustic set.
        •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
        •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
        •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
          How many lugs do they have? I have a diamond 13 snare which has 6 lugs
          Yeah, all my shells have 6 lugs.

Originally posted by MilosDrummer
          I would surely at least get a decent snare
          Fair enough.

Originally posted by Kent50
          Should be a fun and interesting project. If you decide to move forward keep us informed of your progress.
          Will do, but I'm torn between selling them as a good quality vdrum set and potentially mucking up a conversion and both losing the value of the vdrums and having to buy an acoustic kit anyway.

I'm sure 6 cans of Carlsberg will help me decide this evening

Diamond 12"x5" snare + 12"x7" tom + 13"x13" floor tom + 18"x12" bass (all on order).
          MegaDrum trigger-2-midi
          Superior Drummer 2.0 for Mac
          MacBook Pro with 8gig RAM
          Echo Audiofire 2 soundcard.
          VH-11 hi hat, 1xCY-12/RC, 1xPCY-135

Comment

I think I would sell them and then buy a kit with the money. You should get a reasonable amount for them and a decent kit can be bought quite cheap these days.
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I have no intention of doing this to my diamond drums but I'm also interested to see how it goes.

The piezo sits on a cupboard riser on mine but I think it might be glued in position. I've never tried adjusting it mind, but it might be quicker just to cut off the cone. Unfortunately for your project, my bearing edges are definitely intentionally roughed up for grip on the mesh though. The whole trigger system in fact looks designed for longevity over years of heavy hitting and very neatly finished to boot.
              ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
              Community Drum Module Document
              PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Working...
              X