DIY HH stealth, fd7, L80 conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY HH stealth, fd7, L80 conversion

Having got some l80s and stealth triggers from Jerry (Jman; what a true gentleman and pleasure to buy from), the next job was to do a HH conversion. I bought a second hand fd7 (15) and a tama 310 stand.

I think that this was a bit more work than the stand Jerry recommends as the legs are narrower so fitting the plastic cover is a bit of a faff, but all in it took me 3 hours to do.

here's the results:

That looks very neatly done. However, I don't see any actual trigger on the cymbals, still in progress?
    •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
    •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
    •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Triggers are in place just not wired to the module in this picture. The stealth triggers are so easy to install on the L80s, it probably took me 5 minutes per cymbal. As you see they are almost invisible!

Comment

Originally posted by NathanE View Post
        Triggers are in place just not wired to the module in this picture. The stealth triggers are so easy to install on the L80s, it probably took me 5 minutes per cymbal. As you see they are almost invisible!
        I was thinking about doing the same thing long ago... How would you go about managing the cable in this scenario? Through one of the the cymbal holes?
        •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•

Comment

Hi Milos, Jerry sends out a 24mm rubber grommet and I used a 20mm hole saw to drill the lower cymbal then filed to fit the grommet. It makes surprisingly very little difference to the acoustic sound and obviously makes cable routing easy. I'll add a photo later.

I have not quite got the 3z ride dialled in to my td11 module yet, but the hh and crash are immediately great. Ride is just not as predictable on zone definition yet but I'm not going to spend much time on it until I get a new module at the weekend.

Comment

Cool, thanx for the info!

Comment

Heres a picture with the hole

Comment

Fantastic! I had no idea you could do that with the FD-7. Would it work with an FD-9? I have the L80's but I am planning on just using the top hi hat so I can use the other as another crash.
                5 piece DDRUM A to E Kit: Roland TD-11 Module with DIY Triggers and Mesh Heads, Roland CY-8 Crash, Yamaha PCY-135 Ride and Roland CY-5 Hi Hat using GoEdrum Controller. Plus Two other Complete DIY kits. One mini and one micro

Comment

I don't know about the fd9, I'd have to take one apart and look inside to see. The question is really about the physical interference of parts. To be honest the fd7 is super cheap, super robust, super simple inside and uses exactly the same trigger/sensor as the fd8 and I imagine the fd9. On this basis if I was starting again and had an fd9 already I'd sell it and buy an fd7 for the conversion and make a profit!

to do the conversion I had to drill 3 holes in the fd7 base plate, but that would have been reduced to 2 if I used the existing pedal not the longboard from my hh stand. I also had to cut away the plastic cover to enable the hh stand legs to fit - that was a fiddle but not technically hard - dremmel helps. Finally you need to cut out the central section of the hh stand base to fit around the sensor - 2 minutes with a hack saw. The photo instructions on Jman 's site give you the idea.

Comment

Nice job Nathan! Looking good. J
                    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X