DIY multi cone snare like ATV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY multi cone snare like ATV

So I'm going to start my first A to E conversion. I've been looking at different triggering options and saw the ATV design that uses 3 cones around the inside edge of the shell. Has anyone tried anything like this successfully? I'm thinking that the three piezos count be wired together for better triggering? the pic bellow is the best example I could find. Are there any major benefits by going this route instead of a singe piezo and cone in the center?

Thanks

First of all there is the "hot-spot" issue. In general this means that if you hit the head on the spot where the piezo is mounted you'll get a much louder response than hitting the head on any other location. You'll notice this effect most on centered triggers, as most of your hits will be around the center. A hit right on the piezo will be a lot louder then a hit with the same velocity just beside the sensor. This doesn't mean that a side mounted trigger does not have a hot spot. If you hit the head right on top of the edge mounted sensor you will still have the same effect. Because you usually don't hit near the edge, hot spots are usually no issue with edge mounted triggers.

My standard reaction to centered triggers: They are only good if you're module supports positional sensing, and even then, the added value is not that much compared to the annoyance of hot spots

I think the theory behind the 3 edge mounted triggers is to have a more even all around sensitivity.

I use edge mounted sensors on all my drums. I place them near the bottom (the side of the drum that is closest to me) It's then almost impossible to hit the piezo directly, because the stick most likely hits the rim instead of the head.

The result: perfect all over triggering with no hot-spot issues. I wouldn't bother with the 3 edge piezo's. But you are of course welcome to try it, and come back to this forum with the results, compared to one edge piezo.
    Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Originally posted by Viperr View Post
      First of all there is the "hot-spot" issue. In general this means that if you hit the head on the spot where the piezo is mounted you'll get a much louder response than hitting the head on any other location. You'll notice this effect most on centered triggers, as most of your hits will be around the center. A hit right on the piezo will be a lot louder then a hit with the same velocity just beside the sensor. This doesn't mean that a side mounted trigger does not have a hot spot. If you hit the head right on top of the edge mounted sensor you will still have the same effect. Because you usually don't hit near the edge, hot spots are usually no issue with edge mounted triggers.

My standard reaction to centered triggers: They are only good if you're module supports positional sensing, and even then, the added value is not that much compared to the annoyance of hot spots

I think the theory behind the 3 edge mounted triggers is to have a more even all around sensitivity.

I use edge mounted sensors on all my drums. I place them near the bottom (the side of the drum that is closest to me) It's then almost impossible to hit the piezo directly, because the stick most likely hits the rim instead of the head.

The result: perfect all over triggering with no hot-spot issues. I wouldn't bother with the 3 edge piezo's. But you are of course welcome to try it, and come back to this forum with the results, compared to one edge piezo.
      Hi Viperr,
      I'm interested on how you did the side mounted trigger, I'd like to do one for the snare, did you buy something already assembled like Jobeky ones or you made everything from the scratch?
      If is it possible, please post some photo of your solution.
      Thanks a lot!

Comment

This has been done. You might find this helpful:
        https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...-trigger-setup

To find this I did a search using the custom google search at the top of the forum pages which is here:
        http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/vdrums_search.html

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by jpsquared482; 11-22-18, 01:17 PM.
        ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by violaole View Post

Hi Viperr,
          I'm interested on how you did the side mounted trigger, I'd like to do one for the snare, did you buy something already assembled like Jobeky ones or you made everything from the scratch?
          If is it possible, please post some photo of your solution.
          Thanks a lot!
          It's nothing special. Just some aluminium parts. double sided foam tape under the outside ring of the piezo (If you cover the entire piezo with foam tape the sensitivity goes down). and a cone on top.
          DSC_0434.jpg
          Below is a picture of the sesor attached to a tom:
          DSC_0435.JPGDSC_0435.JPG

Attached Files
          Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Originally posted by Viperr View Post

It's nothing special. Just some aluminium parts. double sided foam tape under the outside ring of the piezo (If you cover the entire piezo with foam tape the sensitivity goes down). and a cone on top.
            DSC_0434.jpg
            Below is a picture of the sesor attached to a tom:
            DSC_0435.JPGDSC_0435.JPG
            Easy but great!!!
            Thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
            X