Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combination of side + center mounted triggers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combination of side + center mounted triggers?

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on the forum, so hi all and please move this topic if it's not in the right forum.

I have a MegaDrum trigger interface and a Jobeky center-mounted trigger mounted on a 14" snare drum. I'm using a Jobeky 3-ply mesh head.

I decided to use a center-mounted trigger because coming from an acoustic-drumming experience, positional sensing is essential to me. Obvious problem is hotspotting.

My question is, is it there some way to combine side- with center-mounted trigger so that the side-mounted one does all the sensing and the center-mounted one is only used to know how far from the center the hit is? How should the settings be on my MegaDrum?

Thanks in advance!

Have you already read this post?
    Roland TD-12 module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal.

Comment

I did, but it didn't look like a solid solution to me (plus unfortunately I can't try it myself as I don't have a soft stress ball laying around ). It is something I want to dig into at some point, but at the moment I feel like the dual-trigger solution is a more stable and easier-to-tune solution.

Comment

Why didn't you read the whole thread? You'd see that a centre cone also works. It's not a perfect solution but what you want to do is not possible.
        MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo Buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. Kit pics thread

Comment

very interesting discovery .. with a side trigger and another cone (ball) .. must be by changing the frequency of vibration across the head..
          (i don't know.. i'm just guessing..)

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by ignotus View Post
            It's not a perfect solution but what you want to do is not possible.
            Hmm, why do you say it's not perfect ? some problems ? I still not give it a try but still get it in mind since your post Ignotus.

My question is, is it there some way to combine side- with center-mounted trigger so that the side-mounted one does all the sensing and the center-mounted one is only used to know how far from the center the hit is? How should the settings be on my MegaDrum?
            Maybe not impossible, if you set the center-mounted trigger midi note to 0 (or any unused midi note), megadum will send the CC position data then the midi note #0. The side mounted trigger set to the snare head note can give the velocity data. What may be harder is that the side mounted trigger note must each time arrive just after the CC data (and the center-mounted trigger midi note). Some setting in Megadrum could help, but can it be each time ? Not sure, maybe it worth a try.
            On my TD-12, there's a scan time setting that is very accurate. Setting this scan time for 2 different triggers to different values give the lowest value to be trigger each time before the higher value. Not sure Megadrum is as accurate though.
            A good test is to play a fla on different locations on the head (not sure "fla" is an english word, that's a french word to say : two very close hits). If you get each time : CC THEN Note#0 THEN Snare head note THEN CC THEN Note#0 THEN Snare head note, it should be OK...

Ignotus solution is still easier though, we just need to know what problems he has encounter

Comment

Originally posted by Sylv1co View Post
              Maybe not impossible, if you set the center-mounted trigger midi note to 0 (or any unused midi note), megadum will send the CC position data then the midi note #0. The side mounted trigger set to the snare head note can give the velocity data. What may be harder is that the side mounted trigger note must each time arrive just after the CC data (and the center-mounted trigger midi note).
              If the CC, note and therefore also the velocity (channel, etc) data is sent by the centre trigger in a single packet, that's what the VST is going to use to trigger the hit, and then it will trigger the edge piezo note with its velocity, etc. You can't tell the module to pick and mix the data you want from each trigger. If it were possible to make it happen through settings, we'd be seeing unwanted behaviour all the time with dual zone pads, where they're sending notes from bows and velocity from rims or vice versa.

I say it's not a "perfect" solution because you still need to use a centre cone in addition to the edge trigger, but other than that I didn't find any problems with it - PS works just as well as a centre trigger. I haven't really used it in quite some time because it's not something I use in my playing and I like the clean look of just a discreet internal side trigger. Also, my snare pad is only 10", which means that PS doesn't really work as well as it could with a larger pad.
              MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo Buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. Kit pics thread

Comment

Originally posted by ignotus View Post

I say it's not a "perfect" solution because you still need to use a centre cone in addition to the edge trigger, but other than that I didn't find any problems with it - PS works just as well as a centre trigger. I haven't really used it in quite some time because it's not something I use in my playing and I like the clean look of just a discreet internal side trigger. Also, my snare pad is only 10", which means that PS doesn't really work as well as it could with a larger pad.
                So that's the way to go, the other solution use also a center cone and a side cone.

If the CC, note and therefore also the velocity (channel, etc) data is sent by the centre trigger in a single packet, that's what the VST is going to use to trigger the hit, and then it will trigger the edge piezo note with its velocity, etc. You can't tell the module to pick and mix the data you want from each trigger. If it were possible to make it happen through settings, we'd be seeing unwanted behaviour all the time with dual zone pads, where they're sending notes from bows and velocity from rims or vice versa.
                I'm not agree with that. The VST just look the last position CC event that it has received. Imagine there's two pad with position CC (a snare and a ride cymbal for exemple), each midi note is preceded by a position CC data.

Comment

Working...
                X