A to E real feel cymbal triggers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A to E real feel cymbal triggers?

Hi there guys. Long time sincei last posted here (or in the 2box unofficial forums as well).
    reason for that, is that i am happy with my 2box drummit 5 kit and needed no alterations or upgrades, for many years now....

well for some reasons, i decided it is high time to add a real feel ride and hhat to my kit. replace the rubber ones with a cymbal like the zildjan l80 or sabian quiet tone etc. and obviously add triggers to them.

about my setup. i have a 2box drummit 5 (with split tom rims into other single zone cymbals) and i have got the extra cirquit box that can enable me to use a roland cy-5 for hihat. (i am telling this, so that you people can guide me better.

the first thing that came to mind is the great guy jman and his stealth drums. i could get either triggers from him or the whole cymbals themselves. but unfortunately since i am located in greece, the postal expenses combined with customs taxes, will make this really not affordable. it could be as expensive as my second option

second option would be jobeky cymbals. i see they are located in the UK so no taxes. the cymbals seem awesome. but they are not cheap. so this option is the last resort. which gets me to third option.

when researching for real feel cymbals, i found the third option which seems to be the millenium still series hi hat and ride. they are extremely cheap compared to zildjan and sabian. are they more silent or as good as the others?? i dont know. (so, if anyone can suggest something else he has tried, please feel free).

so what i was thinking was that, i purchase these real feel cymbals (or something else after your suggestion), and then install triggers to them . either by myself with some suggestions from you guys, or by installing some ready made or almost ready made, trigger kits.

i am asking. is there any kits i could get and install in the ride and hihat and be a happy man? that is sold in europe?

about the hi hat. the foot chick isnt a problem since i have the extra box that makes use of a cy-5 in my drummit5. so i just need edge and bow triggers for the hi hat.
    regarding the ride cymbal. obviously i will need bell bow and edge. choke would be nice, but i think i could live without it, if it makes things more easy.

2box cymbals use piezo / switch. (so keep that also in mind if you are not familiar with 2box brain).

i did some research by myself and the only thing i could find was in ebay, a trigger kit called Myrk. i have no idea if it is any good.
    i saw a bell trigger
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Myrk-Membra....c100012.m1985
    and an edge trigger.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Myrk-Membra....c100009.m1982

unfortunately, i see in the description that these have to be placed on top of the cymbal. which really isnt working in my case because i wont have a plastic surface on top of it, in my real feel cymbals.
    (also i dont understand how the edge and bow trigger will make a 3 zone. i will need also to add a piezo, right?)

so, is there another kit i could use and buy from europe?
    any suggestions in general that will help me make up my mid in what direction i should go with? thank you
    proud owner of 2box drumit5 mk2
    www.emag.digitaldrummermag.com/
    best e-drum magazine in the whole universe

iola 11
    http://www.facebook.com/iola11
    www.reverbnation.com/iola11
    https://soundcloud.com/iola11
    https://twitter.com/iola11band
    www.youtube.com/iola11band
    www.myspace.com/iola11

AFAIK stick the membrane switches on cymbal top, at least currently, is the correct way to get the switches triggered although the cymbal flex could also trig the edge switch below, but personally I don't think this is an option since hitting with less strength could not activate the trigger, also this wouldn't work for a 3rd bell zone.
    Myrc membranes are shipping from UK and currently are the only options available I know about to build DIY e-cymbals using membrane switches, so if you want something different than commercial brands you could ask also to JManWord.
    Last edited by redtide; 10-28-18, 10:36 AM.
    Roland TD-12 module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal.

Comment

I have Sabian Quiet tones with triggers, and I have a set of Myrk membrane switches sitting in my garage waiting for me to install...... I am pretty sure that you can install them on the bottom edge of the cymbals.
      I should be getting around to taking on the project within the next week or two ..... I will let you know how it goes
      TD-9 V2, Converted Acoustic kit with internal DIY triggers, triggered Sabian Quite tone cymbals

Comment

thank you for your inputs guys
        proud owner of 2box drumit5 mk2
        www.emag.digitaldrummermag.com/
        best e-drum magazine in the whole universe

iola 11
        http://www.facebook.com/iola11
        www.reverbnation.com/iola11
        https://soundcloud.com/iola11
        https://twitter.com/iola11band
        www.youtube.com/iola11band
        www.myspace.com/iola11

Comment

Just some more input...to utilize a third ride zone on 2box Drumit Five...a bell hit is determined by higher velocity (about 12db higher than a bow hit) So the piezo on 2box original cymbals is located in the bell. If you donít hit on the bell...the signal will be lower and 2box will pick a bow sound instead. The edge is handled through a plain switch. So this is how 2box are generating three zones with just one piezo and one switch.

For people who wants to use a Roland CY-15R type of implementation with piezo on the bow and edge and bell are handled by separate switches...I have invented a nice solution for 2box Drumit Five which converts the signal to 2box format.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

This is a good read https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...-fools-mission
            Also, here is a wiring diagram for the Myrk membranes
            TD-9 V2, Converted Acoustic kit with internal DIY triggers, triggered Sabian Quite tone cymbals

Comment

So I went and had a run at installing the Myrk membrane trigger on one of my crashes ...... I installed as per the diagram on my earlier post (Or, as I understood the diagram) I do not come from an electronics background and my inexperience is becoming evident.
              I plugged the cymbal back in after making the modifications and it still works exactly as it did before I made the changes ...... as in, a single zone crash with no choking function.
              The one real question I have with the diagram is what are the in-line V symbols representing.? (I have circled in red on the attached picture) ..... maybe a resistor?

If anyone has any suggestions on what I might be missing with this...? It would be appreciated

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Romano1 View Post
                So I went and had a run at installing the Myrk membrane trigger on one of my crashes ...... I installed as per the diagram on my earlier post (Or, as I understood the diagram) I do not come from an electronics background and my inexperience is becoming evident.
                I plugged the cymbal back in after making the modifications and it still works exactly as it did before I made the changes ...... as in, a single zone crash with no choking function.
                The one real question I have with the diagram is what are the in-line V symbols representing.? (I have circled in red on the attached picture) ..... maybe a resistor?

If anyone has any suggestions on what I might be missing with this...? It would be appreciated
                It's nothing to worry about, just a representation of the jack socket

Comment

This is a good read https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...-fools-mission
                  Also, here is a wiring diagram for the Myrk membranes
                  The three zone diagram has a mistake : the rings of two jacks socket are wired together, it can't work. Hitting the bell will trigger an edge sound.
                  On Roland modules, you need a diode between the two rings. This diode allows both edge and bell circuits to be closed when the edge is grabbed (to choke the sound), but not when the bell is hit. Without this diode, the bell sound is not stopped when the edge is grabbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylv1co View Post

It's nothing to worry about, just a representation of the jack socket
                    Well ....... with that question answered I'm still confused about why I'm unable use the choke function...?
                    On the two tabs for connection on the Myrk switch, there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two tabs ...... If these connections were reversed would it impact the functionality?

Any other ideas on why these dont seem to work?

Cheers
                    Romano

Comment

Well ....... with that question answered I'm still confused about why I'm unable use the choke function...?
                      On the two tabs for connection on the Myrk switch, there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two tabs ...... If these connections were reversed would it impact the functionality?

Any other ideas on why these dont seem to work?

Cheers
                      Romano
                      Reversing the connection of the switch will not have any effect... The problem is elsewere. Post a pic of your cymbal and the connection, it should be easier to help you.
                      Last edited by Sylv1co; 11-27-18, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X