A2E conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2E conversion

Been lurking for quite a while .Looking to convert my daughter's Pearl export to vdrums. Looking for advice on drum module, or midi box like Ddrum with a vst. Also reasonably priced cymbals and which DIY triggers to use. Thanks in advance for all your reply

It really boils down to what your budget is, how DIY you want to make it (off-the-shelf triggers or made yourself) and the time you're willing to put into it. There's a whole spectrum of possibilities so I think you need to define what you expect/want first. I'd start by deciding on a module, which will dictate what kind of triggers and pads you can and can't use, and then work from there.
    MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo Buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. Kit pics thread

Comment

I was actually thinking of using a Ddrum ddt1 with a VST. Maybe someone could tell me how hard it is to start up a setup like this? I am not talking about the initial set up but rather once you have saved your settings can you just boot up the laptop and launch the Daw and VSt? I am looking at a budget of max $700.00. I am very handy and don't mind doing a lot of DIY. My main concerns are keeping cost down and ease of use since it is for my 13 year old daughter .Thanks again for any help

Comment

That module doesn't have a very good reputation round here but I suppose it depends on how fussy you are about triggering performance - there are also a lot of people happy with it. Yes, once you've dialed it in with the pads and saved the settings you just have to fire everything up and play.

If you're ok with going DIY I'd recommend trying out making the pad triggers yourself - there's lots of info here on how to do it. A side-mounted trigger is very simple and can be done for about 2 /$ each. Cymbals are another matter; however, single zone + choke cymbals using plastic practice pads are easy. Dual and 3-zone are trickier to DIY but it can be done, though I don't know if that module supports 3 zone pads.
        I'd tackle each kind of pad one at a time and see how it goes, DIY involves a lot of trial and error but if you persevere and do your homework you can easily stay well within your budget, even if you end up buying cymbals or a hi hat controller.
        MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo Buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. Kit pics thread

Comment

Ignotus how happy are you with Your Megadrum module? I have a lead on a used one for around 100 bucks which is cheaper than I can build it I believe. It is a 32 input not sure what processor or firmware version

Comment

I love it, but I'm a hardcore tweaker. It has unparalleled flexibility and a ton of inputs, but that comes at the price of a steep learning curve. That said, once you get your head around it and know what the important parameters are, it really isn't that difficult. That's an ok price if it's in good condition - if you're not afraid of putting in a few hours to learn how to use it I'd say go for it.

Comment

Working...
            X