Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicing DIY rim trim straight

Hi all,

Any tricks for this? I've just put some 5/32 trim on my snare and it seems ok but it looks a bit funky because I have terrible fine motor skills and can't cut in a straight line.

I want to try the 3/16" tubing as I think it looks better and probably provides more damping too - but I would also like it to be straight! Has anyone who's done this got any tips on getting a nice clean cut?
    Mapex V & Roland TD-11 Hybrid: 18/10/12/14/13S, Triggera Intrigg triggers, L80 13" HH, L80 18" Ride, CY-14C

Came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q2OzraoxRE

Might give it a go. Anyone have any other ideas?
    Mapex V & Roland TD-11 Hybrid: 18/10/12/14/13S, Triggera Intrigg triggers, L80 13" HH, L80 18" Ride, CY-14C

Comment

I've wasted time with those tubes and doing that cutter, here we are: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/rubber-edge-trim
      Roland TD-12 module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal.

Comment

I always struggled with the cutting, either a little short or a little long. Finally bought UFO rim condoms , cut to size and seamed. I am not a heavy hitter so I don't anticipate having any problems at all with these. To me they look much neater and clean than my cut ones. I am sure some of you guys with steady hands and the right glue can DIY a similar solution. I don't have the will or patience, myself
        Last edited by hemiboy; 03-09-18, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I talk a bit about it here.

my suggestion would be a good brand new, sharp... box cutter and blade. A guide might just get in you own way. Approach it with a firm perpendicular slice motion. Hopefully itís so sharp, you can do a smooth single slice. I had to rock the blade a bit.

but what also helped is making the cut point a little longer than measured, where when put on the rim, itís just a tad pushing the ends together. Even if the butt join is a tad ragged or messy, it blends together when laid down. Hope that helps?
          Last edited by Macarina; 03-08-18, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hemiboy View Post
            I always struggled with the cutting, either a little short or a little long. Finally bought UFO rim condoms , cut to size. I am not a heavy hitte. r So far, so good. I am sure some of you guys with steady hands and the right glue can DIY a similar solution. I don't have the will or patience, myself
            I would do similar but I'm UK-based and they are a little pricey after shipping (over 10x the price of DIY)... for that money I'm willing to have a go at slicing some tube
            Last edited by unsaltedmd5; 03-09-18, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hemiboy View Post
              I always struggled with the cutting, either a little short or a little long. Finally bought UFO rim condoms , cut to size and seamed. I am not a heavy hitter so I don't anticipate having any problems at all with these. To me they look much neater and clean than my cut ones. I am sure some of you guys with steady hands and the right glue can DIY a similar solution. I don't have the will or patience, myself
              i have them, the rim condoms are great!
              Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Yeah , Jammin, they are great. How are you liking the Mimic Pro

Comment

If you have access to a paper cutter, you can get flawless vertical cuts using it as you just line up the rubber against the paper guide. I know this isn't something most people just have laying around their houses.

Comment

Working...
                  X