Panel-mount jack leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panel-mount jack leads

I'm installing Intriggs in my drums at the minute and want to run the cables through the vent holes. I'd like to install a jack socket in the vent hole itself but in order to work with the Intrigg this will need to run to another 1/4" jack. Something like:

http://triggera.com/ds/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/6.jpg

What's the easiest way to achieve something like this?

Preferably solderless - ideally I would just like a short female/male jack lead with a locking nut but I'm struggling to find anything (UK-based).

Thanks
    Mapex V & Roland TD-11 Hybrid: 18/10/12/14/13S, Triggera Intrigg triggers, L80 13" HH, L80 18" Ride, CY-14C

I'd just buy a short cable (3 foot?) with a 1/4" male plug to 1/4" male plug on each end, then cut it in the middle. Strip down the leads and solder the wires to 1/4" panel jack on each piece. That should give you what you need to connect to the Intrigg in two drums. Can't help you with the solderless part.
    Mapex M-Series 6 pc. kit, Megadrum-56PS, RME Babyface Pro, DIY super-strut cross bars, Quartz piezos & cones, DIY rim silencers, 682drums black mesh heads, Pearl MFH reso heads, Roland VH-11, FD-9, 1xYamaha PCY-135, 4xPCY-155, Lenovo W541 laptop with win10 & Addictive Drums 2, Simmons DA-200S drum amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Fugazy View Post
      I'd just buy a short cable (3 foot?) with a 1/4" male plug to 1/4" male plug on each end, then cut it in the middle. Strip down the leads and solder the wires to 1/4" panel jack on each piece. That should give you what you need to connect to the Intrigg in two drums. Can't help you with the solderless part.
      Thanks... time to buy a soldering iron I suppose
      Mapex V & Roland TD-11 Hybrid: 18/10/12/14/13S, Triggera Intrigg triggers, L80 13" HH, L80 18" Ride, CY-14C

Comment

Ok, so the panel jacks arrived today but sadly don't make it all the way through the drum. They're probably 5mm too short to get the nut on the end of the socket.

I have seen some longer jack plugs online but they are slightly thicker than the vent hole (12mm vs 10mm-ish).

So, I can either try and cut a circular groove into the inside of the drum to try and nest the sockets I have deeper so they will protrude from the other side; or I can remove the grommet and try to drill the vent hole on the lacquered shells... any thoughts?

Comment

Yes.
          I would recommend the use of a jack such as the Rean NYS2203 (http://www.rean-connectors.com/en/pr...-jacks/nys2203). Carefully tap out the grommet, then use a tapered reamer (or a drill bit) to only remove as much material as necessary to allow the jack to fit without play. I tend to prefer using handheld tools for this and not a electric drill, hence I prefer using the tapered reamer personally. If you follow this approach, you will have a nice, professional looking installation on your drums. Remember not to make the hole oversize, the shells tend to be of soft wood.
          I would NOT recommend trying to cut a circular groove to use panel jacks that are too shallow.
          Last edited by Fugazy; 02-26-18, 02:42 PM.
          Mapex M-Series 6 pc. kit, Megadrum-56PS, RME Babyface Pro, DIY super-strut cross bars, Quartz piezos & cones, DIY rim silencers, 682drums black mesh heads, Pearl MFH reso heads, Roland VH-11, FD-9, 1xYamaha PCY-135, 4xPCY-155, Lenovo W541 laptop with win10 & Addictive Drums 2, Simmons DA-200S drum amp.

Comment

Yes.
            I would recommend the use of a jack such as the Rean NYS2203 (http://www.rean-connectors.com/en/pr...-jacks/nys2203). Carefully tap out the grommet, then use a tapered reamer (or a drill bit) to only remove as much material as necessary to allow the jack to fit without play. I tend to prefer using handheld tools for this and not a electric drill, hence I prefer using the tapered reamer personally. If you follow this approach, you will have a nice, professional looking installation on your drums. Remember not to make the hole oversize, the shells tend to be of soft wood.
            I would NOT recommend trying to cut a circular groove to use panel jacks that are too shallow.
            That's mega-helpful, thanks.

Do you happen to know the diameter of the threaded section of those jack plugs? Also, any particular precautions for reaming out a shell with a lacquer finish? Just outside-in and go slow?

Comment

Originally posted by unsaltedmd5 View Post

That's mega-helpful, thanks.

Do you happen to know the diameter of the threaded section of those jack plugs? Also, any particular precautions for reaming out a shell with a lacquer finish? Just outside-in and go slow?
              That link I provided is to the manufacturer's spec sheets and product design drawings, it should have the measurements you need.
              And yes, absolutely, GO SLOW and check fit very often. Using a tapered reamer (bought at a local big box store) and gently reaming from the inside out, I did six drums with zero chipping of the lacquer.

Comment

I see only Neutrik/REAN jacks as solution around, you should check some specs on their site to find the one you need:
                REAN (NYS221 sold also by R-Drums, NYS2202 and NYS2203 for example) or Neutrik.
                Roland TD-12 module, MegaDrum Trigger module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal, DIY A2E Chang dual zone cymbals.

Comment

That link I provided is to the manufacturer's spec sheets and product design drawings, it should have the measurements you need.
                  Yes, it's one of the _two_ drawings in the document I read before I asked /facepalm

Thanks for the advice - I've removed most of the grommets now (they're the crappy crimped-in kind - no expense spared here!) and will pick up a reamer at the weekend.

redtide the Neutrik plugs are the ones I had come across - have ordered a few of them off Amazon.

Hooked up the TD11 to the Intrigg and put one of the Real Feels on earlier... seemed to trigger fine contrary to rumour so I'm not sure I needed to order the two-ply heads. Oh well

Comment

We'll be releasing a new version of Intrigg which will feature a vent-hole mountable connector.
                    Should be on market in a couple of months.
                    electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

Originally posted by triggera View Post
                      We'll be releasing a new version of Intrigg which will feature a vent-hole mountable connector.
                      Should be on market in a couple of months.
                      This "NEWS" is more then one year old now, when will the vent-hole mountable connector become available??

Comment

Working...
                      X