Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting a-drums to e-drums questions

hello. long time no visit.
    years ago I had a roland td12 but sold it and have spent the last 5+ years struggling on the old acoustic set.
    I would like to convert the kit into a hybrid e-kit using mesh heads and e-cymbals. I don't want rubber pads for snare or toms and I don't want a kick that is just an isolated pedal. I also want an actual hihat like the vh11.
    $ is a huge factor in this decision, as I have been looking around for a used roland and it would seem in order to get something close to the setup I had with my (added onto) td12 I would need to spend around $800-1k for a used setup.
    would converting a 6 or 7 piece kit to edrum be considerably cheaper? kick, snare, 4 or 5 toms, vh11 hihat, 4 roland cymbals... at least one 3 position cymbal, but the other 3 cymbals can be dual. I only want dual trigger for the snare, toms can be single.
    I plan to trigger superior drummer 2.0 so I have no interest in the sounds out of any module. all I would need is some kind of trigger to midi box, yes? no internal sounds necessary, just ability to transmit the vh11 and one 3 position roland cymbal. (the cy12r I believe?)
    is there a trigger unit to handle that many inputs? at the end of the day would it just be cheaper or easier to get a used roland kit and expand if necessary?
    Last edited by ghola; 02-18-18, 12:54 PM. Reason: clarity

Have you seen the DDrum DDTI trigger to midi interface? I think this sounds like what you’re after instead of a drum brain.

Making the drums themselves should be pretty cheap if you use side triggers (Jobeky or Triggera) plus mesh heads, especially if you can find a used acoustic kit to convert. The cymbals will be the most expensive part as even used, Roland cymbals tend to hold their value.

if you need some more ideas, check out this walk through I put together on how I built my e kit at the link below. Hopefully that will give you some ideas on how to build yours, mine was on a tight budget too.
    For nearly four years, I’d stopped playing drums. There were two main reasons. While I had an electronic drum kit, it was dreadful — the Roland HD1 entry level kit. Great for beginners, but it just…

Comment

I think the ddrum trigger interface is the same as the Alesis IO (could be wrong) if it is then the triggering is nowhere near as good as Roland. An old ddrum4 module triggers much better as well.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

+1 .. you already had the 'best' interface for vh-11 (the roland td12 .. or 20 expanded, or 30) this was designed for a vh-11..
        (sure.. you can go the 'difficult' route too ..) .. also roland midi for vst triggering is pretty reliable ..

Comment

If you end up seriously looking at a MIDI-only interface and don't mind going spending DIY time tweaking lots of settings until it is just right, consider the Megadrum. It's not for everyone and going with a Roland module will be easier, but MD gives you more inputs than you will ever outgrow (32 or 56) and it performs way better than the DDTI or the Alesis I/O. Just something to consider if you truly don't want a module.
          Mapex M-Series 6 pc. kit, Megadrum-56PS, RME Babyface Pro, DIY super-strut cross bars, Quartz piezos & cones, DIY rim silencers, 682drums black mesh heads, Pearl MFH reso heads, Roland VH-11, FD-9, 1xYamaha PCY-135, 4xPCY-155, Lenovo W541 laptop with win10 & Addictive Drums 2, Simmons DA-200S drum amp.

Comment

Working...
          X