Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland RT30 triggering better on 3-ply mesh or mylar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland RT30 triggering better on 3-ply mesh or mylar?

I just finished my TD30 conversion to acoustic/mesh drums and am getting good triggering using the Roland RT30 triggers and 3-ply mesh. Running into the typical problem of the bass drum mesh head way too bouncy and double triggering. I have figured out the magic combination of mounting foam and neoprene to create the feel I like, especially when burying the beater.

So, the fact that I will be using foam and neoprene, it occurred to me that I can use either a mesh head or a mylar head since noise will no longer be an issue. The RT30 is specifically a hybrid trigger and works on both, but my question is which head will be more sensitive to vibrations and will trigger more effectively striking through foam. The mesh head triggers surprisingly well through the foam, but am wondering if the mylar head will be any better.

Since I have spent a small fortune on this project, I thought I would put out a feeler to see if anybody has tested and/or has any results with the RT30 trigger.
    PDP X7 Maple with 3-ply UFO mesh heads Roland RT30 Hybrid triggers Stage left

Update: upon testing, it was very surprising how much louder a mylar head was. I was somewhat expecting more of a mute and a "leveling of the playing field", but foam on mesh not only triggers we, but feels awesome .......allowing the burying of the beater to your hearts' content, and is really quiet (more of a low muffled thump)

Comment

Gorgeous kit - what tom sizes are those?

Also, was thinking of getting a RT30 for my snare - does it sit ok on the rim silencers?
      Last edited by unsaltedmd5; 02-12-18, 04:48 PM.
      Mapex V & Roland TD-11 Hybrid: 18/10/12/14/13S, Triggera Intrigg triggers, L80 13" HH, L80 18" Ride, CY-14C

Comment

about rt30hr.. i see ktoleary didn't cut a gap in his silencers, but with my silencer, i couldn't get it seated properly, so i just cut a small gap ..
        KTOleary : awesome music room/ kits.. ..if i had acoustic next to electronic.. i wouldn't play much electronic .. ..(i need a separate shack for noise..)
        Last edited by Ericdrumz; 02-13-18, 04:23 AM.

Comment

No, I didn't cut a gap in the rim silencers because the Roland triggers are able to sit/mount over them and trigger perfectly. This does cut down on the rim triggering, but on the toms it is not a big deal

Comment

Originally posted by KTOleary View Post
            Since I have spent a small fortune on this project, I thought I would put out a feeler to see if anybody has tested and/or has any results with the RT30 trigger.
            DigitalDrummer tasted them with mesh and Mylar and a range of modules: http://en.calameo.com/read/00430531035b9f3fdbf4b
            . digitalDrummer
            Review index

Comment

Originally posted by KTOleary View Post
              I just finished my TD30 conversion to acoustic/mesh drums and am getting good triggering using the Roland RT30 triggers and 3-ply mesh. Running into the typical problem of the bass drum mesh head way too bouncy and double triggering. I have figured out the magic combination of mounting foam and neoprene to create the feel I like, especially when burying the beater.

So, the fact that I will be using foam and neoprene, it occurred to me that I can use either a mesh head or a mylar head since noise will no longer be an issue. The RT30 is specifically a hybrid trigger and works on both, but my question is which head will be more sensitive to vibrations and will trigger more effectively striking through foam. The mesh head triggers surprisingly well through the foam, but am wondering if the mylar head will be any better.

That is an amazingly nice setup and my wallet hurts, just looking at it!

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
              DigitalDrummer tasted them with mesh and Mylar and a range of modules: http://en.calameo.com/read/00430531035b9f3fdbf4b
              I've really enjoy reading your publication and the info, testing, thoroughness, and depth of knowledge are extremely useful to someone like me, who is learning about all these products!
              ATV aD5, ATV Snare, Roland V-Drums, ATV & Roland Cymbals, Gibson Les Pauls & Marshall Amps

Comment

Ericdrumz, thanks for the compliment. I do spend a lot of time in that room! I don't get to play the acoustic kit much due to the noise, but sure is nice to have it there when I find myself home in the middle of the day........
                I don't know if you noticed, but I matched the hybrid kit setup to the acoustic kit, piece-for-piece. Both are 7-piece, counting the extra floor tom on the left. The cymbal set up and dispersion is very close. The ultimate goal was to feel as comfortable as possible going back and forth between the acoustic and electronic kits.
                I found when I was playing the traditional TD30 KV kit, the set up was very tight with smaller drum pads and cymbals. The action was very lively on the Roland, so when I would go to band practice, it would take me up to 30 minutes to feel comfortable on the acoustic kit in the practice studio................not any more!

Comment

Working...
                X