No announcement yet.

The new DIY edrum cymbals trend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I'm a perfect newbie in the e-drum domain and I am looking for some advices.
    My main concern is to make/buy good quality e-cymbals.
    I 've been searching a lot on the web and found this Italian company GEARDRUM ? Have you ever heard about them ?
    https://www.facebook.com/geardrum/
    I hesitate between their LV cymbals kit, the one of Jobeky or the Stealth triggers.
    Have you any good advices to give.
    Thank you from Belgium?

Comment

Originally posted by sascha View Post
      Not sure about the shape, it's making the rim way bigger than the rest of the surface. I'd be worried it then feels/plays a bit awkward.
      I'm using this one: http://www.staufenbiel-berlin-shop.d...antenschutz-_4
      I found a similar one, like yours.

But, how's your sticknoise compared with let's say a Roland symbal with these quite thin edges ?
      Ludwig Epic, Roland Mesh-heads, DIY Cymbals, Roland TD-9, EZdrummer2 + EZX

Comment

I can't speak for Roland, since I have none of their stuff. But stick noise is greatly reduced on the edge. But: I'm using nylon tips, therefore my main issue is more the cymbal bow area, and that is where I applied a layer of 2mm industrial rubber for the entire bow. A good side effect is that this enhanced triggering. One could also let this rubber area overlap with the 1mm rim rubber, then it's a almost seamless. The industrial rubber is around 65 shore in hardness, which has more stick noise than most cymbal pads, but quite a good rebound.
        MarkDrum YES e-kit (+1 crash, Double Kick), modified HH (DIY hall-sensor based circuit)
        Gibraltar 9607NL-DP Legless Hi Hat
        Gibraltar Intruder Double Pedal
        ATH-M40fs + M40x + SRH440 Phones

Comment

I got my sample yesterday
          (https://www.rubbermagazijn.nl/volrub...obChMIu6yF1MnL)

But I didn't notice any significant difference in sticknoise between a cymbomute or the rubber edge from the sample.
          Bummer....
          Last edited by Dreamdrummer; 06-14-18, 09:09 AM.
          Ludwig Epic, Roland Mesh-heads, DIY Cymbals, Roland TD-9, EZdrummer2 + EZX

Comment

Originally posted by jcgilles View Post
            I 've been searching a lot on the web and found this Italian company GEARDRUM ? Have you ever heard about them ?
            https://www.facebook.com/geardrum/
            Have you any good advices to give.
            Geardrum utilize our Myrk- Membrane switches, and are a top quality product. I really give kudos to Andrea on his accomplishments with the clean design and triggering consistency!

Comment

I received my 16" switch this week (thanks, Adam...), and I still have smaller ones and bell types on my shelf... so, how does the Geardrum L80 3-zone actually work? I'd like to convert a 16" low-volume crash here into an e-ride (WHD, gear4music's house brand), and I'm still unsure how to do the bell thing. Sure, I could put the smaller membrane switch on top and apply rubber coating. But the geardrum solution is way more cleaner!
              I've put some piezos and placement under test, and hooked them up to my scope... I think it could be possible to have a piezo under the bell followed by a Keith-Raper circuit (the LF swing should be filtered out via a simple RC highpass on its input). But first I'd like to know how the geardrum thing works with the bell... anyone willing to share?
              MarkDrum YES e-kit (+1 crash, Double Kick), modified HH (DIY hall-sensor based circuit)
              Gibraltar 9607NL-DP Legless Hi Hat
              Gibraltar Intruder Double Pedal
              ATH-M40fs + M40x + SRH440 Phones

Comment

Working...
              X