The new DIY edrum cymbals trend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new DIY edrum cymbals trend

I've only recently noticed that different people are using the same approach to build their e-cymbals; the basic formula seems to be low-volume cymbals + rubber profiles, where the latter hide the membrane switch for the dual zone + choke, making the cymbal even quieter. Simple to do and, in my opinion, with a good aesthetic result.

Drone Drum Trigger System: L80 + TD12 (YT channel):
    Centent Cymbals USA (work from one of their customers, from their public FB page) Gear Drums using L80 and Myrc membranes (from Myrc ebay page)
    Last edited by redtide; 02-06-18, 03:50 AM.
    Roland TD-12 module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal.

I am really interested how they do the edge and how they cope with the vibration that causes double/triple/quatro triggering on the larger sizes (16-18-20)
    Also from what I've heard so far, dynamics are nowhere near satisfying ..
    I also have a full set of L80 waiting to be converted - my initial attempts failed miserably
    ATV aD5, (Roland TD-15 for sale!)
    TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

I'am interested myself as well. Jobeky sells these type of e-cymbals as well. Will these be more silent than standard Roland or Yamaha cymbals?

Comment

pumpal I want to give it a try, it "sounds" strange to me that so many people use the same approach to get a bad result.
        All I see is just some more-than-1cm-internal-depth rubber (might be EPDM) profiles with (1cm large) Myrc membranes below.
        Maybe it's important to use also 1mm double-sided adhesive foam to avoid more double triggering? I'll let you know.

jim_mmx I'm not sure but I believe rubber cymbals should be more silent than others.
        Last edited by redtide; 02-06-18, 04:10 AM.
        Roland TD-12 module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal.

Comment

Well, google for CymGard for the rubber rings - there are other makers as well. I have a 14" Myrc membrane and it didn't work under the rubber at all. I haven't tried with foam tape or on the bottom of the cymbal though as I was trying to do a hi-hat and there is no way to stick there. Keep us posted on your progress ..
          TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

Originally posted by pumpal View Post
            Well, google for CymGard for the rubber rings - there are other makers as well. I have a 14" Myrc membrane and it didn't work under the rubber at all. I haven't tried with foam tape or on the bottom of the cymbal though as I was trying to do a hi-hat and there is no way to stick there. Keep us posted on your progress ..
            I buy epdm profiles in Germany, 10 meters of it costs me 40 euro delivery included, I don't think those CymGuard are much better.
            I bought Myrc membranes too and it works fine with 1mm of biadhesive foam, I did the hihat and a 16" 3 zone ride with them. He sent me also some pdf images to how to mount them, if you miss them I can send those to you.

Comment

Definitely agree on the profiles. Recently saw such on AliExpress even cheaper. Can be glued perfectly with momentary glue .. On the 14" hi-hat did you use top cymbal only and if you used the two cymbals, where did you stuck the membrane ?
              TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

I used the original hihat (top + bottom) of my Darestone drum, but now I use one as crash and other as hihat using an aluminium disc below as FSR controller. The membrane must be placed on top of cymbal, AFAIK 2mm from the edge, I glued also a rubber disc above.

Comment

Originally posted by redtide View Post

I buy epdm profiles in Germany, 10 meters of it costs me 40 euro delivery included, I don't think those CymGuard are much better.
                  I bought Myrc membranes too and it works fine with 1mm of biadhesive foam, I did the hihat and a 16" 3 zone ride with them. He sent me also some pdf images to how to mount them, if you miss them I can send those to you.
                  What kind of profiles are these? And how do you manufacture this into a rubber ring?
                  Ludwig Epic, Roland Mesh-heads, DIY Cymbals, Roland TD-9, EZdrummer2 + EZX

Comment

They are simple "U" section rubber profiles, just cut them to cover the cymbal's circumference and fix them on the cymbal's edge.
                    "u channel rubber edge trim" on search engine.
                    Last edited by redtide; 02-09-18, 11:48 AM.

Comment

They are simple "U" section rubber profiles, just cut them to cover the cymbal's circumference and fix them on the cymbal's edge.
                      "u channel rubber edge trim" on search engine.
                      I get that, but could you be more specific about the dimensions (inner/outer and thickness) that you've used?
                      Thanks !

At the moment I use Cymbobute, but I would like to experiment with permanent rubber edges

Comment

Bought today a 13 x 7 x 1.5mm, so inner depth is 11,5 and the inner width goes from 4mm near the arc to 1mm, so I have some space for both membrane and a foam strip to stick over the latter.
                        I found this in a store near home for less than half the cost in Germany (See the horrible prototype below).
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by redtide; 02-12-18, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Bought today a 13 x 7 x 1.5mm, so inner depth is 11,5 and the inner width goes from 4mm near the arc to 1mm, so I have some space for both membrane and a foam strip to stick over the latter.
                          I found this in a store near home for less than half the cost in Germany (See the horrible prototype below).
                          Thanks !
                          Prototypes aren't always horrible. We learn from them ;-)

Comment

Hm, I'm just asking myslef how durable EPDM profiles are, as opposed to regular rubber? I mean, if you constantly bang a cymbal along the edge (like a crash), wouldn't it just crumble over time???
                            MarkDrum YES e-kit (+1 crash, Double Kick), modified HH (DIY hall-sensor based circuit)
                            Gibraltar 9607NL-DP Legless Hi Hat
                            Gibraltar Intruder Double Pedal
                            ATH-M40fs + M40x + SRH440 Phones

Comment

I'm not aware about EPDM weakness, so I suppose to let you know the next year

Comment

Working...
                              X