Drum software for Versatrigger Wireless Triggers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum software for Versatrigger Wireless Triggers

I am happily on my way to converting my first acoustic to electric kit. After doing some research I am pretty set on getting some wireless triggers from Versatrigger. I was wondering if anyone has experience setting these up as I have heard they can be a pain to capture subtleties like ghost notes.

I was just wondering if someone could offer a good VST to pair with these triggers. And if anyone has an opinion on their performance. After digging on this forum, Drumasonic Luxury and Drumasonic 2 came up. Any thoughts on these VSTs? I have never programmed a trigger before and would like to go this route so I don't have to use a module.

Thanks,

Davy

Drumasonic is very good, but it only really has 1 kit if I remember (2 snares, 3 kicks, and 1 set of toms). if you can afford it go for SD3, it's much better.

Comment

I use Versatrigger U-Boxes (and one Hihat box) for my whole kit.

2 kicks, Triggera Kriggs
      Snare, Wronka side-mounted trigger
      3 Toms, DDrum Red Shot triggers
      Hats, Yamaha PCY-135 + Roland FD9
      2 crashes, ride, china, Yamaha PCY-155
      Cowbell, Hart Hammer

I think it is a great product. I could dial in all the triggers above without problems. No problem with soft hits expect I get a little retriggering from my snare if threshold and retrigger cancelling too low. All three zones + choke of Yamaha cymbals work very well and you can actually set dynamics and velocity curve for each zone separately. That is very nice and useful characteristics IMO.

I currently exclusively use SD3. It is THE drum VST at the moment. You can adjust pretty much every parameter you can imagine to get your playing touch just right. Soundwise I don't think there are any limits in there. Simply awesome! I also own Drumasonic 2 and Luxury which are very good too. They have lots of the same important features as SD3 (such as individual control of volume and dynamics for each articulation). The selection of drums is smaller as haggis-man stated. If I had to pick just one of the two it would be Luxury because of better cymbals and toms.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I saw SD3 for about $399. The price is a little steep so I'll have to think about it, but it sounds awesome. That's cool that it's a 3 zone and supports cymbal choke. Any recommendations on where to mount the Side-mount Versatrigger Box with foam tip? 6 oclock, 9 oclock, ect? I have mesh heads so I was wondering about placement.

I will have to learn all about the different options for the software and triggers. Any settings recommendations?

In a demo video, the guy on the set had his triggers mounted to cymbal stands. Do you know if the HH Box and U Boxes come with clamps to mount these?

Thanks

Comment

I already had EZDrummer 2, so I paid the crossgrade price 250 or so. I only have Yamaha cymbals which work with only one cable. If you have Roland 3-zone cymbals (CY-15r, CY-13r or CY-12r/c) which work with two cables, you will need Versatrigger HH-box to get all 3 zones working. My Wronka trigger is also side-mounted. Usually they are recommended to 6 oclock position. I would say 6 oclock or 12 oclock based on one's preference.

I think the best way is to dial in trigger parameters pad by pad. I for example have older and newer Yamaha PCY-155 cymbals and they are not just equal. I had to adjust slightly different trigger parameters for them (also previously as I had 2Box module).

Parts that came with U-Box and Hihat Box you can see here:
          https://versatrigger.com/wp-content/...s/ubox-kit.jpg
          https://versatrigger.com/wp-content/.../hhbox-kit.jpg

The cables however do not have those adapters anymore. They have fixed 6.35mm to 3.15 mm plugs which is more robust IMO.
          Additionally there are circular wing nuts that are not visible in pictures.

I don't have any Versatrigger box but it seems that there are L-bracket and a wing nut at least:
          https://versatrigger.com/wp-content/...t_trigger2.jpg
          https://versatrigger.com/wp-content/...-in-shell3.jpg

Comment

Ya, I'll probably go the Drumasonic Luxury route because of the price. Good to know about the different cymbal requirements. I have not picked any cymbals out yet and that is next on my list. From what I've seen, 3 zone cymbals aren't cheap either, but it's the only way to go IMO. I guess I'll just have to figure out mounting to cymbal stands when I get them in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by davy View Post
              Ya, I'll probably go the Drumasonic Luxury route because of the price. Good to know about the different cymbal requirements. I have not picked any cymbals out yet and that is next on my list. From what I've seen, 3 zone cymbals aren't cheap either, but it's the only way to go IMO. I guess I'll just have to figure out mounting to cymbal stands when I get them in hand.
              Be patient and shop for lightly used cymbals. I have been looking for months but just scored a pair of 8 month old Yamaha PCY-155 three zone cymbals for $220 shipped, almost 50% off. Going with used gear can save you some serious change.

Mapex M-Series 6 pc. kit, Megadrum-56PS, RME Babyface Pro, DIY super-strut cross bars, Quartz piezos & cones, DIY rim silencers, 682drums black mesh heads, Pearl MFH reso heads, Roland VH-11, FD-9, 1xYamaha PCY-135, 4xPCY-155, Lenovo W541 laptop with win10 & Addictive Drums 2, Simmons DA-200S drum amp.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. It's tough to wait because I want to build my kit and play. I was actually blown away by the cost of some used Roland cymbals on ebay, ect. I am checking out a few second hand stores and trying to find a good price, but it's not easy.

Just to be sure, if I use drum software (and versatrigger) I can turn any cymbal into a ride or hi hat or crash correct? I will not be running through a module. I am asking because I am trying to find cymbals with 3 zones. So on a crash I can (crash, bell, mute) and on a ride I can (ride, bell, crash). Am I thinking about this in the right way? I wanted to make sure that the labels on the cymbals (crash/ride, ride, crash) wouldn't limit me.

Comment

Yes and no. If you use cymbal that has 3 zones you can get those out with VT. But if a cymbal pad only has two zones (like a few Roland ones) you cannot get the third. I personally only use 1 zone + choke for my crahes and china as I think it sounds better that way. On three zone cymbals you have bow, bell, edge and choke. On 2 zone bow, edge and choke. Bear in mind that these are features of the cymbal pad itself. VT just does not restrict you to use those whatever your brand is.

Comment

Originally posted by davy View Post

In a demo video, the guy on the set had his triggers mounted to cymbal stands. Do you know if the HH Box and U Boxes come with clamps to mount these?

Thanks
                    They come with an O ring and a standoff spacer that allows you to clamp them there.

If you are in EU, you may check Thomann for the Millennium MPS-600 and MPS-400 cymbal pads. They are cheap, dual zone, 14" and 12". I have the 14" version and it's not perfect but not trash either. Definitely playable, especially for the price.
                    For the ride I'd get a new Yamaha PCY-155 ( 139 current Thomann price).
                    - be very careful if shopping second hand, because there are many things that could have happened to a used cymbal pad. Most common problems could be a cracked ground leg of the jack or a wire that needs re-soldering, though I've seen a couple that had a disintegrated membrane switch, which is irreparable ..
                    Last edited by pumpal; 01-10-18, 04:48 AM.
                    ATV aD5, (Roland TD-15 for sale!)
                    TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

Good to know regarding the different zone options. I am probably going the Roland route. I have heard good things about their modules, so if I decide to get one I would want my cymbals to work. I'll probably go 3 zones too, just because I like the bell feature

Thanks for the info on used cymbals. I think the toughest thing is probably that you can't really tell from pictures if the membrane switch or ground leg has an issue. Like previously mentioned, I will have to look for "lightly used"

Comment

Working...
                      X