DIY silent kick pedal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY silent kick pedal

I build myself a silent kick pedal to replace the stock pedal that came with my Yamaha DD-75. Hope you enjoy this little guide on how to build it.

You will need:
    • Kick pedal
    • Platform for the kick pedal
    • Trigger
    • Project box
    • Spare drumstick
    • Double sided tape

Step 1
    Build a platform, this will keep the pedal and trigger in place.

To keep the pedal in place I use a 2 cm wide bit of wood. I used glue and nails to attach it.

Step 2
    Build your trigger.

I'm using a basic trigger made from a 35 mm piezo and foam.
    The trigger is placed in a project box to protect the wires, house the variable resistor, and jack connector.

Step 3
    Add the tip of a drumstick.

The trigger doesn't work well when the bottom of the pedal strikes it. To solve this I added the tip of a drumstick.

Step 4
    Place the trigger.

Align the trigger and tip of the drumstick, make sure it hits the center of the trigger. Use a pencil to mark where the project box needs to be.
    Stick some double sided on the bottom of the project box and stick it to the platform.

Step 5
    Play the drums with your new silent kick pedal!
    Step 1, building a platform. Step 1, finished platform. Step 2, building the trigger.
    My kit: Yamaha DD-75.

This is interesting , have any videos showing response and soundlevel?

Comment

It looks like the Roland KT-9 design.

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 8.01.52 AM.png
      Last edited by jpsquared482; 01-06-18, 06:18 PM.
      ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

I did something like this once. While it triggers perfectly, you miss the feeling of the beater swinging backward and thus lifting the pedal back up. You can't compensate this feeling with the spring tension. I currently use this design:

kick pedal.jpg
        The pedal is slightly modified, to allow the beater in this position. The trigger is a piece of stock aluminium, that can be clamped by the clamp you normally use to clamp the pedal to the base drum. The piezo is stuck to the aluminium using foam tape, on top of that is 1/3 sanding block.

It started out as an experiment, that's why it's looking as rough as it is. It works perfect, the feeling is perfect, and while it's louder thatn the beaterless pedal,the vollume of the pedal hitting the foam is well below a beater hitting a pad.
        Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Wouldn't it feel more natural, if you move the beater back in, say an inch or more, to lower the leverage the beater has? And then bolt a counterweight or normal beater in the normal direction, so as to make this feel as natural as possible?

To the OP: perhaps this also works for your pedal, put the beater in, just as counter-weight, but perhaps shorten it a bit, as it might otherwise cause the pedal to move from too much leverage.
          E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz173edtgc...14709.jpg?dl=0
          A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?dl=0
          TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY5/14/15, PD-8 cupholder, PM-30

Comment

Obviously you'll get the most natural feeling if the beater is doing its normal move. That would mean placing the trigger somewhere where the beater would normally hit the head. What really is important to mimic the natural feeling is the velocity of the moving mass of the beater. Although gravity is a factor in this, it doesn't do much in this case.

Part of the idea is to make the base drum setup quieter. Most of the noise produced by the base drum setup is caused by the vibrations induced in the floor. If you look at for example Roland's KD 8, the impact of the beater will be forwarded into the floor by the stand of the KD 8, that causes the majority of the sound you hear in other parts of the house.
            pedal setup.PNG
            With my setup, the impact direction is almost horizontal, and will give almost no feed-trough tho the floor.

As for your suggestion to the OP: The beater has to stop it's forward movement somehow (like hitting the drum head). if it doesn't do that, inertia will keep the beater moving until the spring pulls it back. In the mean time the chain will have gone slack, and will rattle on the back stroke of the beater. While the noise is irritating, it also completely ruins the intended effect of the natural feeling.
            Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Originally posted by fletch4x View Post
              This is interesting , have any videos showing response and soundlevel?
              I guess the results depend on your module.
              The trigger I use, 35mm piezo, is way to hot for the DD-75. To cool it down I use a variable resistor, still need to fine tune it.

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
              It looks like the Roland KT-9 design.

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 8.01.52 AM.png
              Yeah, I based my idea on that pedal.

My main goal was to make the kick pedal as silent as possible. I actually never toughed about the effects of removing the beater.

The pedal feels fine to me, I actually really like the light weight feeling of the pedal.
              Before I had a 10-inch drum with a mesh head, I would place the beater really close to the head. I never really liked the beater swinging around and causing double triggers.
              My kit: Yamaha DD-75.

Comment

Working...
              X