Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with reliable triggering! (22" Kick, Roland RT-30K Trigger, Remo Silent Stroke)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with reliable triggering! (22" Kick, Roland RT-30K Trigger, Remo Silent Stroke)

Hi everyone! Thanks for taking a moment to read through my question. I have a snare and kick drum that I have recently outfitted with Roland RT-30 triggers and Remo silent stroke mesh heads to use in conjunction with my Yamaha DTX500 and Alesis Sample pad pro. I don't use any sounds from the Yamaha or Alesis - all my kits are custom built in Ableton instrument racks. I applied a midi velocity gate on my snare to prevent double triggering - which has been working perfectly. Unfortunately it isn't working as smoothly with my 22" kick with the RT-30K. When I change the velocity gate on the kick drum it either double triggers or drops notes completely - there doesn't seem to be a decent middle ground and I'm stuck trying to hit the perfect velocity to get the sample to sound properly. How can I solve this issue? A triple-ply mesh head instead of single? I need something reliable - as I will be using this on stage in 3 weeks. I would really prefer to use my kick drum as opposed to going back to the DTX pad because I have a custom front bass drum head that has our band's logo on it. This is really frustrating and I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

(a) Take the batter head off the kick drum and mount the DTX kick into the drum. Plenty of people have done that, if you really need to have logo-ed kick drum on stage. Optionally cut a circular hole in the batter to accommodate the kick pad itself and replace the batter.
    (b) Use a beaterless kick, e.g. http://triggera.com/kick-pedal-trigger or a Yamaha KU100 or a Roland KT10 etc. behind your kick drum.
    (c) Buy this http://triggera.com/triggers/kick-beater-bix which will also solve the problem....
    (d) keep kick on stage but have your DTX pad to one side and use a double pedal slave (Goldfrapp's drummer does that!)
    Last edited by electrodrummer; 11-14-17, 05:44 PM.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

What is your construction of the kick? The larger the drum, the trickier the triggering. There is a reason why mainstream e-drum manufacturers don't go for large drums. A larger head is likely to vibrate more, and thus give you double triggering. Because it is so large, tightening the head is harder as well for larger drums. It is possible though. Make sure you have enough damping (I used a big sponge behind the strike area, and the trigger just below that. Just look around on this forum, there must be lots of kick drum designs to choose from.

Whatever you do, your kick will probably be the loudest part of your kit. There are also beaterless solutions (google on krigg for a general idea). Although that works fine I'm not really satisfied with the feeling of that though.
      Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

I use a RT-30 Kicktrigger on my 22" kick with a Remo Silentstroke. (With a piece of felt on the impact area)
        Never had any trigger issues...
        But, I use a Roland TD-9 module for triggering VST. (Pad-type PD-120 with standard config)
        Ludwig Epic, Roland Mesh-heads, DIY Cymbals, Roland TD-9, EZdrummer2 + EZX

Comment

I also replaced the KP65 with an acoustic kick. For me the trick is solved filling the inside of the shell with a huge pillow that touches both heads but mostly the batter. I put an Evans patch [the black one made of fabric] and the mesh head is tuned tighter than a regular bass head but keeping some "give", if you know what I mean. The trigger is DIY internal, mounted about 3" from the shell with an "L" bracket. Works like a charm with my DTXpress IV.

Comment

Thanks guys! For now I think I have solved the issue. I tightened the mesh head quite a bit and used some foam for dampening. Hopefully it stays reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by pdpdrummer09 View Post
              Thanks guys! For now I think I have solved the issue. I tightened the mesh head quite a bit and used some foam for dampening. Hopefully it stays reliable.
              Hi, I am so glad I stumbled upon your post. I myself recently bought an acoustic drumkit to use with my Yamaha DTX502 module and the Yamaha DT50S/DT50K drum triggers with REMO Silentstroke mesh heads. I have not yet hooked up the Yamaha triggers but I have put on the mesh heads on the bass drum and felt it was quite strange. The punch of the kick is not there to really get the feel of the groove. It feels so loose and I have to control my foot quite a bit.

I look forward to trying out some of the tips found here, such as placing huge pillows/foam in the bass drum and also tightening up the mesh head even more. Is there a worry that the mesh head is tightened too much that it starts to tear? The REMO Silentroke heads came with a beater patch sticker. Should I use that? I notice some of you recommend a felt patch instead. What about having a double kickpedal set up on a mesh head kick drum? Would that wreak havoc on the triggering?

Another question I have is with regards to the snare. The REMO mesh heads with the snare locked in position in its natural acoustic sound is very inconsistent. Sometimes, the snare cannot be heard and the sound of the tonal drum takes over.

Anyway, when playing with a trigger on the snare hooked up to the module, we should turn off the snare under the snare drum right? Or keep it on?

Thanks guys... really look forward to learning from your experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade918 View Post

Another question I have is with regards to the snare. The REMO mesh heads with the snare locked in position in its natural acoustic sound is very inconsistent. Sometimes, the snare cannot be heard and the sound of the tonal drum takes over.

Anyway, when playing with a trigger on the snare hooked up to the module, we should turn off the snare under the snare drum right? Or keep it on?
                Sound is nothing but moving air. On an acoustic snare, the movement of the top head displaces the air in the drum, so that the bottom head moves. the movement of the bottom head is why the snares move and make the buzzing sound you want out of a snare. Because a mesh head displaces less air (that is why they are silent) the bottom head will hardly move, and thus no snare sound.

On an e-drum the snare sound comes out of the module. so you don't need/want actual snares there.
                Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Because I donít like the empty look of a KP65 for a live stage setup, I decided to add a Silentstroke to my 22Ē Yamaha MC and bought a DT50K. Using this with a Yamaha DTXIII Extreme (updated to DTX950 firmware), Iím having a heck of a time with the triggering as well. I updated the pad type in the Trigger mode to use the DT50K as directed, but Iím still having a lot of double triggering issues, especially when using double pedal. Iíve tried adjusting the reject time but I just canít find a sweet spot. Iíll try dampening the mesh head as suggested with a pillow. Any settings recommendations would be welcome!

Comment

Working...
                  X