Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long overdue A2E pictures (ATV aDrums clone)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long overdue A2E pictures (ATV aDrums clone)

Just sharing some pictures I took the other day while setting up my kit on a new carpet and marking the stands, etc. What I was going after was a sort of "poor man's" ATV aDrum / Drum-tec clone using Drone (Kit Toys) triggers for the shells. I took advantage of things like Musicians Friend coupons and things to save a little $$ on the shells and tried to find a color and palette most identical to aDrums. I think I did a pretty good job! I am using all Roland cymbals for now but I do have ATV 14" hats and 18" ride on order which should round out the look even more. The ultimate end goal when more funds are secured is to get their 16" crashes. I pair all this up with a Pearl Mimic Pro module. All the hardware stands and pedals (DW, Yamaha) I've had for years so nothing new there.

The materials list to create this kit was the following:

- Shells: Ludwig Pocket Kit in Black Sparkle finish (10x7 and 13x10 toms, 16x12 kick). The 12x5 snare that came with it I put in the closet. Might convert it later down the road.
    - Snare: Mapex MPX maple snare in Transparent Black finish 13x6
    - Triggers: Drone Triggers multi-arm dual-zone assemblies for toms and snare, UFO drums 16" crossbar kick assembly (with foam pillow), Roland BT-1
    - Rubber rims: Drum-tec rim on the snare, UFO Drums rims on the toms
    - Mesh heads: Drum-tec Design Series 2-ply for batters, Remo white Silentstroke on the bottoms
    - Mounts: I changed out the stock tom mounts for PDP 10.5" tom clamps on both toms. The floor tom actually came with legs but I converted it to a hanging tom. The kick drum I swapped out the stock legs for longer Dfd black chrome legs and a DW black chrome bass drum riser to lift up the kick higher in the air to make the center of the head even with my preferred beater height.
    - Other: I also added white nylon lug washers to the toms and kick to make it look like ATV's

Using the Roland pad presets on the Mimic and tweaking to taste, the kit plays like a dream. The only lessons learned in this conversion if I had to do it all over again would be to spend a little extra $$ and get the Ludwig Breakbeats kit which already includes a proper kick riser, 14" snare, and slightly better shell/hardware construction. Also of minor importance and more of convenience would be to buy a pre-made Roland cable loom with the nice colored labels/tags on them - I made my own but it takes a while to cable tie it up and put my own P-touch labels on them.

Bonus pictures: I also attached what started it all for my DIY builds of "pro-like quality"; my fully converted Pearl ePro kit I use at home with Superior Drummer 3 (or the Mimic). This one now uses (not pictured at the time) a 14" snare converted with Drone trigger, Intriggs on all toms, DIY rim protectors, and UFO Drums kick assembly. I nabbed a complete Pearl ePro shell pack off eBay back in the day for $300!

Sometime soon when I stop being too lazy is get some video playing my kits with the Mimic
    Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-105X/125X pads | CY-15R's | VH-11 | DIY 13" Snare + 16" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
    Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | CY-15R + PCY-135/155's | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Very clean and very nice
    I think Drone triggers are the coolest out there
    and I make some pretty cool triggers triggers
    lost touch with him do to some health issues on my end

your kit is killing it great job

Comment

Very nice looking! Congrats!
      'lectric drumma
      Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Very nice.
        I don't know why this in particular hit me, so I apologize in advance for picking this rather than any of the actual, genuinely cool details of your project. But I really like that podium stand thing you have your laptop and other stuff sitting on. Where did that come from? It looks pretty nicely laid out & handy.

Comment

Originally posted by vinito View Post
          Very nice.
          I don't know why this in particular hit me, so I apologize in advance for picking this rather than any of the actual, genuinely cool details of your project. But I really like that podium stand thing you have your laptop and other stuff sitting on. Where did that come from? It looks pretty nicely laid out & handy.
          Thank you. That stand is off of Amazon.. the model with "side table". The side table is fixed but the larger section has a tilt with memory hold. It is also height adjustable. I since got rid of it and went to a Samson tripod music stand with a Pearl side table but this one served me well!

This is it:
          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-105X/125X pads | CY-15R's | VH-11 | DIY 13" Snare + 16" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
          Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | CY-15R + PCY-135/155's | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

Working...
          X