Space Muffin and/or DDrum precision Cast pads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Muffin and/or DDrum precision Cast pads

I owned a Boom Theory Space Muffin kit about 17 years ago. The shells were wood and the piezos were glued to the centre of a thin (+/- 1/8Ē) disk of plywood which was sandwiched between two layers of closed cell (iirc) foam which directly contacted the mylar heads. I was advised not to use mesh heads as it would ruin the foam. I used this kit with a Roland TD8 and it worked quite well. I later bought a DDrum Precision Cast snare pad which was unique in several ways, including the fact that it took two XLR cables - I still have this pad and use it with my 2Box module; via 1/4Ē adaptors.

The DDrum pad is somewhat similar to the Space Muffin in that it has a piezo attached to a large diameter disc under a layer of foam - but the Ddrumís is a sheet metal disk rather than wood and the foam layer is much thinner than what I recall seeing with the Muffins.

Both Space Muffin and DDrum pads worked well and had no hot spot on my Roland TD8, DDrum 3 and DDrum 4SE modules.

I have a spare 12Ē shell, now cut down to 3Ē - (this from the failed speaker sensor experiment). Iíve got nothing better to do so I want to convert this to a snare pad using a large disk as described above. Whether a metal disk or wood makes little difference to me although I have a bunch of thin plywood available. Iíd actually prefer to go that route.

But I need information on the details such as, in the case of Muffin - exactly how thick the foam layer should be etc.

Iíve looked through the archives here and havenít been able to find anything specific - certainly not on this style of trigger. Thereís one guy who posted something similar on youtube but the triggering is horrendous. Iím pretty sure part of that is due to wrong settings etc. but the whole manner in which he puts his drum together is very shoddy and rough so Iím not about to use that as a guide.

Can anyone here offer plans or info etc for such a system or else links to the same? Of key importance is the exact type and thickness of foam for the Space Muffin design. Iíd appreciate it. Thanks!

(By the way - itís my understanding that the Space Muffin pad patent was sold to Yamaha and that itís what they use for at least their snare drums and possibly toms/kick as well; this would explain Yamahaís lack of hot spots. Iíve never owned Yamaha drums so canít say for sure whatís in there.)

Photos of DDrum pad below... wish I had shots of the Muffin internals.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Drumster; 10-29-17, 08:16 PM.

I'm a little late arriving here....I can conform that the pad design of the original DTXtreme (birch-shells) had the pad design you describe and show in the images. NO hot-spots as there was a big foam pad (actually pads, 2 of them) sitting on top of the metal sheet which the piezo was attached to.

Comment

Originally posted by 7tenths View Post
      I'm a little late arriving here....I can conform that the pad design of the original DTXtreme (birch-shells) had the pad design you describe and show in the images. NO hot-spots as there was a big foam pad (actually pads, 2 of them) sitting on top of the metal sheet which the piezo was attached to.
      Cool. Thanks for chiming in!

Comment

Working...
      X