Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sascha View Post
    Well, if it works with the Mimic, then you've got a winner there
    However, I think four 35mm piezos for the rim detection is overkill. I would try only two instead, on opposite sides, and having them wired up in series, not parallel. I would also try series connection for the three cones, if you're lucky then there's no hotspot at all then, since all voltages would even out each other (more or less). Of course one should try find this out with a scope, or at least record the raw waveform in a DAW.
    I have a dual-piezo setup in my 16" kick, mounted close to the rim left & right, and these capture the entire mesh evenly. In parallel, I could see two spikes on the scope or the waveform taking up a strange combination, depending on where I hit. With series wiring there is only one spike, which (theoretically) is more exponential but should still be sharp enough in its slew rate to make detection easy.
    Of course you have less voltage with series setups, unlike parallel addition. But piezos of this size are 'hot' anyway, maybe even too much at times.
    Hi Sascha,
    I will give a try to connect the piezos in series!! Also because I still did not fixed all the cables, so I still can try... I'll let you know!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Foam View Post
      Ok so have we finally found a way to sucessfully copy ATVs trigger System?

From what I can tell with the specific system mentionend in this thread there are still hot spot issues. Why is that I wonder? ATV apparently managed to solve this issue. So maybe there is a difference in how they wire their system....

Has anybody ever been willing to take their atv snare apart? Or where does that wiring diagram come from?

So many questions.....Im glad I found my way back there! I would really love to build a diy ATV system myself (with proper shell sizes).
      Well, as you can see in the video, the hotspot is present only if you hit exactly on the top of the cones, but this is not a big issue because without positional sensing feature (in my case Mimic Pro) there is no reason to play close to the rim! It could be an issue if your module has this feature and you use to play a lot close to the rim...
      I don't own an ATV pad to disassemble and check the original wiring, anyway, I used that wiring diagram posted in the beginning and the results are in the video I posted before! Is great!! I really encourage you to make your own!!!
      In any case, I will give a try also to connect the piezos in series as Sascha suggested and I will see if there is any improvement!!
      I'll keep you informed!!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!! Yes please keep us updated! I thought the whole point of this three cone trigger is to eliminate hotspots. I talked to someone who owns an ATV Snare and he confirmed that there is no hotspot even when directly hitting on top of a cone. If that werent the case a simple one-piezo trigger close to the rim would be enough too, right? (if its just all about avoiding to hit the cone)

Thanks again for sharing your efforts with us!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Foam View Post
          Hi,

Thanks for your reply!! Yes please keep us updated! I thought the whole point of this three cone trigger is to eliminate hotspots. I talked to someone who owns an ATV Snare and he confirmed that there is no hotspot even when directly hitting on top of a cone. If that werent the case a simple one-piezo trigger close to the rim would be enough too, right? (if its just all about avoiding to hit the cone)

Thanks again for sharing your efforts with us!
          Hot spots could be module-specific in regards to a three-piezo design. I believe ATV's aD5 has triggering algorithms that minimize hot spots when hitting directly over a cone. The Mimic does not achieve this, as it wasn't designed for a three cone system. So it's possible that your "someone" has an aD5, whereas violaole is using a Mimic and that's the reason for the different observations.
          ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

He is using a roland td 11. So absolutely nothing special.....I thought it was common knowledge that ATV finally managed to elimimate hotspots....I could of course be mistaken as that is just knowledge I have from reading stuff and talking to people....I havent had the chance to test it myself ...has nobody ever done this? Using atv drums with a roland td Module? Im curious....

Comment

Bad setting can increase hot spot, type of piezo and cone as well. I would not compare atv not the same parts used.

Comment

Which is why it would be crucial to find out what piezo size they use and especially how they wire....maybe one day i'll buy an atv snare and try to find out.....

Comment

Working...
                X