Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland 3 zone cymbal wiring

Hi Guys,

I know I've seen it somewhere, but I can't find it anymore. Does someone know where I can find a wiring diagram for a 3 zone cymbal Roland style?

Many thanks.
    Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

I did a Google search and came up with this. It looks like the Roland circuitry to me.
    https://www.megadrum.info/forums/vie...php?f=3&t=3185
    ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

The wiring for Roland cymbals is very straight forward.

You need two TRS jacks for three zones.. Jack one for the bow and edge, and jack two for the bell. You need two switches , one for the bell and one for the edge, and a piezo.

For jack one, the positive of the piezo is wired to the tip of the jack, the positive of the edge switch is wired to the ring of the jack, and both the negative for the piezo and switch are wired to the sleeve of the jack.

For jack two, the positive wire of the bell switch is wired to the ring of the jack, and the negative wire is wired to the sleeve of the jack.

This will allow the cymbal to behave as a dual zone without the bell and a three zone with the bell, Roland style, just like any CY series cymbal.
      Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

TD-3 > TD-10E > TD-20 > TD/W-20 > TD-15 > TD-50

Comment

I think it is this picture which you are looking for:
        05F69A3D-2850-4A88-8419-99B356F4D8AE.jpeg
        Best regards

anders / www.zourman.com / Roland hi-hat conversation modules for 2box
        Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Thanks guys,

I remember seeing the one from Anders.
          The bottom edge switch connects to the same connector position as the bell switch, making it the choke switch for the bell. Looking at it like this, You can treat it like two separate cymbals which share the same piezo,. one for the bow and the bell, one for the bow and the edge, which matches with G-rad's explanation.

It is for a DIY cymbal I'm trying to built. Once I have something worthwhile You'll see it on this forum. I'm actually building it to interface with my megadrum module, but It would be perfect if I could make it in such a way that it can interface with Roland modules as well.

Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Right on man, I eventually would love to build, or get some help building, a new ride cymbal with a large enough bell surface. I am currently playing on a modded pintech PC series cymbal, and the bell on this thing is just too small for my liking. I always enjoyed a ride with a medium to large sized bell. I could already see myself having to wire two switches in parallel for the bell for what I want. Unless someone else has any idea, so I am curious to see what you have in mind, well, hear, seeing as I am blind, haha.
            Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

TD-3 > TD-10E > TD-20 > TD/W-20 > TD-15 > TD-50

Comment

where i can buy film switch ?

Comment

Look for the myrk switches on eBay (he's a member on here). I just bought some and they are working well, I'll post photos when done.

Comment

great thx!!

Comment

Piezo ceramic on tip, piezo brass on sleeve, 1 switch connector to ring and the other to sleeve.
                    If it doesn't work invert piezo brass with ceramic connections because inverted polarities on piezo.
                    This is how all my DIY cymbals works with my TD12. The 3 zone has same connections on both edge and bell connectors (I use a china on bell and the dual zone ride on the edge).
                    The switch acts for both edge zone and choke.
                    Last edited by redtide; 12-18-18, 01:05 PM.
                    Roland TD-12 module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal.

Comment

Working...
                    X