Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External power source for E-Drums [like a powerbank]

Hello all drummers:

I need to play my electronic drums outdoors. My neighbours are not letting me play my electronic drumkit indoors due to noise. I am planning to go to my parkiing lot and play. But there is no power outlet there. Can you please suggest me a cheap power source (like a power bank or a UPS or changeable battery) within $50, that can run my drums for 1-2 hours?

I was thinking of a UPS like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KH07WRC...a-315970285668

Has anyone tried this? Can suggest me some solution?

Thanks to all

Or a looooooooooooooong power cord!

Seriously, if you have that kind of neighbours, I'm afraid they'll also find some objections to you playing outside near their home...

good luck!
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Maybe a stupid question..... Have you tried playing e-drums with headphones in stead of an amplifier?
      Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

I use a portable battery pack that was sold as a portable DVD player power source a few years back. It powers my Handsonic or Korg Wavedrum for hours. I assume the power requirements for most of the Roland drum units require similar voltage and wattage requirements.
        Search portable dvd battery and you should find some solutions.
        TD-9_stealth Yamaha, HPD-15, HPD-10, Octapad etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Viperr View Post
          Maybe a stupid question..... Have you tried playing e-drums with headphones in stead of an amplifier?
          Hello Viperr, Yes I am wearing headphones, yet the stick hitting rubber is annoying my flatmate.

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
            Or a looooooooooooooong power cord!

Seriously, if you have that kind of neighbours, I'm afraid they'll also find some objections to you playing outside near their home...

good luck!
            The neighborhood is not letting me run a long power chord. I already tried that and a $42 power cord is to waste.

Comment

I have a thought,

Has anyone tried running the E-Drums over a portable phone charger battery?

I think I can get one of these, its a 10,400 mAh battery: http://www.mi.com/en/pb10400/

and use this converter to convert usb output to the cylindrical pin input :
              https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FVTMSG8...a-310031467188

But my concern here is the power stability, since I am bypassing the power adapter (which I believe provides security against power fluctuations). I shouldnt end up damaging my drum module.

I play Alesis DM6 NITRO kit.

Has anyone tried this before? can anyone guide me if it would be a good idea?

Comment

If you're scared of power fluctuations, you could use a DC to DC board that will provide regulation. Can be found on eBay for cheap.

Think about moving too... Sounds like your neighbours are not too much fun!
                DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Rough neighborhood you live in. People get annoyed by stick noise on rubber and by long extension cords.

If you can get a decent battery pack you should be set. The thing Marygras uses could do it just well. Don't be afraid of power fluctuations. Battery packs have a fairly solid straight line output. I'm not sure about your electrical knowledge but the things that are important are:
                  The voltage (V)
                  The current (A)
                  The power (W) which is actually voltage x current.
                  The capacity (Wh) which represents the time that an accupack can deliver its power.

What you need to do is check the power output values of the adapter. It should read some value in volts (probably 5V) and something either in Amperes (A) or Watt (W). You should then find a battery pack that gives the same output voltage, and preferably a higher current (A). Battery packs are mostly rated in V and Wh.

If you can give me the numbers on the adapter I might be able to point you in the right direction.
                  Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Resurrecting this thread as I'm desperately trying to figure out how to power my edrum kit in my garage (that has no power).

At the moment I'm looking at an extra large power bank or a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) back up supply I've seen suggested elsewhere.

However when I contacted the UPS manufacturer/supplier they said it would not work for my intended use as it needs to be plugged into a power supply... I suggested that surely that defeats the purpose of a device designed to deal with power cuts...

Can anyone please offer some advice as to whether these would power an edrum module (pearl mimic) for 3 or 4 hours before needing re-charging.

PowerOak PS5 400Wh Li-ion Portable Solar Generator / AC 300W pure sine / DC 12V / 4xUSB / Solar charge max 120W

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...R3BQW0H0DDRQQJ

APC Smart-UPS SMT-SmartConnect - SMT1000IC - Uninterruptible Power Supply 1000VA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...4F7KPTGN&psc=1

Many thanks for any help!

Comment

never tried it myself but this thing looks suitable
                      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackery-Pow...puters&sr=1-36

and makes no risk to feed wrong voltage to your mimic as you'll be using mimic's own PSU

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
                        never tried it myself but this thing looks suitable
                        https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackery-Pow...puters&sr=1-36

and makes no risk to feed wrong voltage to your mimic as you'll be using mimic's own PSU
                        Thanks for your reply Mr Boo!

I actually bought the biggest powerbank I could find (400w) a few days ago. It's like the one that you linked, just bigger and can also be charged via solar power, car etc. However I'll probably just charge through the power socket in my home. Do you think this will be safe with the Mimic? Everything I've read in the description makes me think yes, but I'm nervous about it to be honest...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerOak-Po...sr=1-1-catcorr

Cheers for your help!

Comment

it says it has 300w pure sine AC inverter - so it should be ok! Just use mimic own PSU
                          Last edited by Mr.Boo; 04-10-19, 06:14 PM.

Comment

and I think it would supply your mimic with power for much more than 4 hours
                            Last edited by Mr.Boo; 04-10-19, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
                              it says it has 300w pure sine AC inverter - so it should be ok! Just use mimic own PSU.

and I think it would supply your mimic with power for much more than 4 hours

Excellent, thanks again Mr Boo!

Comment

Working...
                              X