No announcement yet.

Pearl Decade A to E conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jammin777 Thanks for all the information you have provided on this site, its much appreciated.

I am looking to do an A2E of my Pearl Masters BCX kit (8,10,12,13 toms, 16x18 floor toms and 18x22 kicks) and use it with my Roland TD-30. Tried the route of Remo SilentStroke single ply mesh heads and Roland RT-30 triggers. Being used to the Roland TD-30K style triggering, that solution just didn't cut it. I was looking at some of the offerings from r-drums in Germany then I came across UFO triggers via your thread. A few questions on some of the choices they offer:

Did you use the standard foam octacone or upgrade to the foam cone?
    Did you upgrade any of the 27mm Piezos to 35mm?
    Did you you upgrade to the dual/rim trigger add-on and if so, how is the rim triggering? I am just considering it on the snare
    Do all of the 1/4 panel mount jacks offered require you to drill the vent hole in the shell to install?

Thanks

Comment

hi ktc, yes i used the octocones which are fairly new to UFO drums they have the similar feel and density of the roland cones and they trigger great.
      no i did not upgrade the center piezo so i am using the 27 mm piezo, i feel the 35mm would trigger too hot. Mitch (UFO drums) confirmed that.
      yes i did upgrade to the dual rim setup using 35mm for the rim on all my drums except the kick drum of course. i mounted the rim piezo on the shell in the area where i strike the drum and have it mounted 1/2" below the bearing edge. the rim trigger pretty good.
      i choose the long stem panel jacks because the other ones are not deep enough. i removed the air vent grommet and had the carefully drill the hole bigger with a step drill and a sanding bit with a dremel to get the hole big enough to fit the jack. my shell are lacquer and was scary at first as i didnt want to chip the lacquer. i put blue masking tape over the hole to protect it and worked out great! i would not recommend using a regular drill bit as it would catch and i believe it would be a much higher risk of chipping the lacquer hence is why i used a step drill bit and the finished it off with a dremel with sanding bit to get to the size hole i needed.
      i also went with the longer wire option for the floor toms because the air vents are mounted towards the bottom of the shell.
      i aslo went with ufo's rim protectors as well and i really like them.

Mitch from UFO drums is a great guy to deal with, i live 10 miles from him so i was able to meet him in person when i picked up my order.

i heard the silent stroke heads dont trigger well because the are too bouncy especially when using external triggers.
      Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Awesome kit! I'm in the process of installing the UFO eBridges and Real Feel Heads as well. Glad to hear they're working well for you.

Comment

Working...
        X