Zildjian L80's and what other set gear to get realistic feel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Viperr View Post
    I think the TRS cable itself is one of the things limiting the natural swing of the cymbal.
    I partly agree.
    But how can we avoid this..?
    Ludwig Epic, Roland Mesh-heads, DIY Cymbals, Roland TD-9, EZdrummer2 + EZX

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamdrummer View Post

I partly agree.
      But how can we avoid this..?
      I don't use a project box on the Cymbal, but attach an earphone cable directly to the piezo. The project box is mounted to the cymbal stand. I know this is less robust, but a good strain relief goes a long way.
      Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

My L80's waiting to be converted

20170501_211732.jpg

18", 16" and 2 x 14"
        Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

I had a Gen16 set of 13" hats and 18" ride that I converted with Jman's triggers. They worked quite well. I've since sold the Gen16's and moved to the L80s (primarily because I wanted the 20" ride). The nice thing about his trigger method is you are using existing holes to mount them - not destroying the cymbal. It's simple to remove the trigger and you have your L80 back in it's original condition. If I had to nitpick I'd say I don't like the fact that you can see the trigger assembly through the cymbal. Also, it took me quite a bit of tweaking to avoid re-triggering. These cymbals vibrate a lot, even with a cymgard on them.

As for feel, I agree that they do lose some with the trigger and cymgard. However, it's still feels more realistic than a rubber cymbal IMO.

The one thing I want to improve is to find a clear alternative to the black cymgard.
          Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

[Shameless plug]: If you want membrane triggers that can be mounted on the underside of your L80 cymbals (according to another user on this forum) to make them dual zone:
            Each membrane trigger switch is a 90 degree arc. They can be chained together to give 180 / 270 / 360 degrees coverage, and can be placed over curved surfaces without inhibiting trigger functionality. | eBay!

Comment

Theres a guy on youtube that used these to convert L80 cymbals ,looks like it worked well

http://pintech.com/product/pintech-e...-drum-trigger/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_K-mjd1Q8c

3:50 in he talks about the cymbal triggers

Comment

I personally own the l80/triggered by Jman Stealth triggers and I love them.. I added some pintech strike pads anf they are quiet, trigger perfectly and are "real sizes".

Comment

Viperr - did you convert you L80ís - what triggers did you use?

Comment

I used normal piezos but wasn't satisfied with the result. The problem is that, although they produce less acoustic noise, they behave as normal cymbals. With just piezos under them, they will generate a lot of triggers. That can of course be helped by sticking vinyl under them, but then they become very heavy again, and that does not help the "normal feeling". So for now they are more or less put aside until I come up with a beter Idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X