Zildjian L80's and what other set gear to get realistic feel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Viperr View Post
    I think the TRS cable itself is one of the things limiting the natural swing of the cymbal.
    I partly agree.
    But how can we avoid this..?

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamdrummer View Post

I partly agree.
      But how can we avoid this..?
      I don't use a project box on the Cymbal, but attach an earphone cable directly to the piezo. The project box is mounted to the cymbal stand. I know this is less robust, but a good strain relief goes a long way.
      Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

My L80's waiting to be converted

20170501_211732.jpg

18", 16" and 2 x 14"
        Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

I had a Gen16 set of 13" hats and 18" ride that I converted with Jman's triggers. They worked quite well. I've since sold the Gen16's and moved to the L80s (primarily because I wanted the 20" ride). The nice thing about his trigger method is you are using existing holes to mount them - not destroying the cymbal. It's simple to remove the trigger and you have your L80 back in it's original condition. If I had to nitpick I'd say I don't like the fact that you can see the trigger assembly through the cymbal. Also, it took me quite a bit of tweaking to avoid re-triggering. These cymbals vibrate a lot, even with a cymgard on them.

As for feel, I agree that they do lose some with the trigger and cymgard. However, it's still feels more realistic than a rubber cymbal IMO.

The one thing I want to improve is to find a clear alternative to the black cymgard.

Comment

[Shameless plug]: If you want membrane triggers that can be mounted on the underside of your L80 cymbals (according to another user on this forum) to make them dual zone:
            Each membrane trigger switch is a 90 degree arc. They can be chained together to give 180 / 270 / 360 degrees coverage, and can be placed over curved surfaces without inhibiting trigger functionality. | eBay!

Comment

Theres a guy on youtube that used these to convert L80 cymbals ,looks like it worked well

http://pintech.com/product/pintech-e...-drum-trigger/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_K-mjd1Q8c

3:50 in he talks about the cymbal triggers
              updated td9 brain,vh11, cy12c/r, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,ddrum trigger on floor tom & roland rt30k trigger on kick drum,quartz trigger harness in upper toms and snare

Comment

I personally own the l80/triggered by Jman Stealth triggers and I love them.. I added some pintech strike pads anf they are quiet, trigger perfectly and are "real sizes".

Comment

Working...
                X