Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of building my own module...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frankzappa View Post
    What happened with this Project? Was really promising, I'd love an update.
    At least mine is progressing (slowly though, on-off, due time constraints). Had been working on my sampler architecture and DSP part the last months. Current state:
    - handles up to 16 'instruments', each with 8-note polyphony
    - every instrument can do 127 sample layers, with a maximum of 16 round-robin inter-layer samples. In practive, 24 layers with 2 or 3 alternatives each are usually enough. Current test lib is Voxengo AcuDrums (which sounds excellent btw.), although I plan to sample my own a-kit later on (Tamburo Ash 20/14/14/12/10 w. Masterwork & Anatolian cymbals)
    - instruments have vol/pan/width/detune/decay, velocity curve, 3-band parametric eq each, plus compression & transient shaper, and reverb send
    - reverb implemented (own design, but I worked on this field commercially anyway...)
    - load/save entire kits as xml
    - implemented metronome, free bars&beats setup
    - implemented wav & mp3 player (play/stop/volume/search bar/loop mode). Currently expects files to reside in a dedicated folder on the Pi, but will add USB-mount functionality later on
    - handles 16 samples latency (audioinjector octo 24bit/96k shield), with a current max. CPU load of ~30%. With no reverb and do EQ/dynamics processing, it's around 7% on the Pi3.

To do:
    - make 'instruments' aware of multiple zones, and most pressing thing: think about a proper hihat-transition regime. Zone/transition here also means internal crossfade (maybe only on the transients), as I want something like a 'wash' mode on cymbals and no discrete hh openness sound (which I hate and no software gets that right...)
    - add pigpio or wiringpi to the code, in order to do the navigation via encoder dial and the main buttons (they basically just have to shift kb focus and do inc/dec, which is already done in the software)
    - add multiple outs, and lots of other things I forgot...

That's for milestone 1, which is only midi-controlled. Milestone 2 should have own triggering, first check the 6 ins from the octo card and do onboard DSP, and then perhaps hook up a dedicated ARM board to the Pi.

DSC_0626.JPG
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sascha; 01-22-20, 09:26 AM.
    gear: MarkDrum YES e-kit highly modified (low-volume trigger cymbals, 16" DIY kick, 12" DIY snare + tom 3, Goedrum HH controller), Triggera 10" splash
    band: http://theboardmusic.com

Comment

Originally posted by sascha View Post

At least mine is progressing (slowly though, on-off, due time constraints). Had been working on my sampler architecture and DSP part the last months. Current state:
      - handles up to 16 'instruments', each with 8-note polyphony
      - every instrument can do 127 sample layers, with a maximum of 16 round-robin inter-layer samples. In practive, 24 layers with 2 or 3 alternatives each are usually enough. Current test lib is Voxengo AcuDrums (which sounds excellent btw.), although I plan to sample my own a-kit later on (Tamburo Ash 20/14/14/12/10 w. Masterwork & Anatolian cymbals)
      - instruments have vol/pan/width/detune/decay, velocity curve, 3-band parametric eq each, plus compression & transient shaper, and reverb send
      - reverb implemented (own design, but I worked on this field commercially anyway...)
      - load/save entire kits as xml
      - implemented metronome, free bars&beats setup
      - implemented wav & mp3 player (play/stop/volume/search bar/loop mode). Currently expects files to reside in a dedicated folder on the Pi, but will add USB-mount functionality later on
      - handles 16 samples latency (audioinjector octo 24bit/96k shield), with a current max. CPU load of ~30%. With no reverb and do EQ/dynamics processing, it's around 7% on the Pi3.

To do:
      - make 'instruments' aware of multiple zones, and most pressing thing: think about a proper hihat-transition regime. Zone/transition here also means internal crossfade (maybe only on the transients), as I want something like a 'wash' mode on cymbals and no discrete hh openness sound (which I hate and no software gets that right...)
      - add pigpio or wiringpi to the code, in order to do the navigation via encoder dial and the main buttons (they basically just have to shift kb focus and do inc/dec, which is already done in the software)
      - add multiple outs, and lots of other things I forgot...

That's for milestone 1, which is only midi-controlled. Milestone 2 should have own triggering, first check the 6 ins from the octo card and do onboard DSP, and then perhaps hook up a dedicated ARM board to the Pi.

DSC_0626.JPG
      Wow, that is awesome man.

Did you nail the triggering part as good as a roland module? Let me know if you need a visual interface. I have some photoshop skills. Don't know about the programming part but I've helped a guy with that before who made a guitar amp simulator VST and people commented they just turned the knobs all day because it was so nice. I had 3d modeled lighting effects on it and everything
      Last edited by frankzappa; 01-22-20, 11:19 AM.

Comment

What you see in the picture is the actual UI. I'm not going to use touch screen at all, the unit works just like a car stereo, with a minimum of gestures.

As said, piezo triggering is on the list, but milestone 2.
        gear: MarkDrum YES e-kit highly modified (low-volume trigger cymbals, 16" DIY kick, 12" DIY snare + tom 3, Goedrum HH controller), Triggera 10" splash

Comment

Here are some screenshots of the current UI (taken from the windows dev machine, the code is cross-platform, minus the GPIO part, nevermind the debug readouts...), to illustrate the workflow. Again, it's not a touch UI (I'm planning to protect the 5" LCD with an acrylic-glass layer).

module_kitview.pngmodule_saveview.pngmodule_fxview.pngmodule_instview.png
          [A yellow rectangle around a control is actually a blinking 'halo', indicating it's got the kb/encoder focus.]
          Last edited by sascha; 01-23-20, 05:22 AM.

Comment

The bottom-row buttons will vanish once the mechanic buttons are made functional, and then the controls will be rearranged and fit to size.
            Once a mode (kit/inst/setup/click) is selected, rotating the dial sets the controls' focus. Pushing the dial toggles between focus & edit mode. In edit mode, the dial is +/- for the selected control.
            Some modes have a 2nd sub page (like dynamics or eq). Pushing one of the dedicated mode buttons leads back to the respective main page.
            It's that easy, and in my opinion more error-proof than using touch-screen faders or knobs.

[UI kept simple since it has to work out fine on 5", and in dim light...]

module_eqview.pngmodule_dynview.pngmodule_midiview.pngmodule_clickview.png
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sascha; 01-23-20, 04:15 AM.

Comment

The bottom-row buttons will vanish once the mechanic buttons are made functional, and then the controls will be rearranged and fit to size.
              Once a mode (kit/inst/setup/click) is selected, rotating the dial sets the controls' focus. Pushing the dial toggles between focus & edit mode. In edit mode, the dial is +/- for the selected control.
              Some modes have a 2nd sub page (like dynamics or eq). Pushing one of the dedicated mode buttons leads back to the respective main page.
              It's that easy, and in my opinion more error-proof than using touch-screen faders or knobs.

Awesome man.

Comment

BTW. Have you seen this project? https://hackaday.io/project/9350-exadrums

It's open source so everything is available. You could look at his code and circuits as inspiration for the piezos. His module seems to trigger really good and he's getting pretty low (6ms) latency from strike to sound through the speakers. Pretty good for a raspberry Pi.

Comment

sascha this is absoluterly insane, I'm really impressed by the level you reached on your build ... I hope that you will find the time and energy to finish it ! Keep it up

Comment

Originally posted by DrumatiC View Post
                    sascha this is absoluterly insane, I'm really impressed by the level you reached on your build ... I hope that you will find the time and energy to finish it ! Keep it up
                    Exactly what I was thinking. Unbelievably cool!
                    Meet The Stewards!
                    https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
                    https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
                    https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

Comment

This is a great thread! I am glad to see people taking matters into their own hands in the quest for their own solutions!

Comment

Wow, great thread. I was wondering how hard it would be to make your own module and I think now I know that it's WAY out of my league. I have been thinking it would be cool to have an iPad be the control center for the "module" and then you would have a hardware unit to plug everything into that would connect to the iPad via an app. This is kind of what this guitar amp company is doing now. https://www.positivegrid.com/spark

Comment

Originally posted by breakingcustom View Post
                          Wow, great thread. I was wondering how hard it would be to make your own module and I think now I know that it's WAY out of my league. I have been thinking it would be cool to have an iPad be the control center for the "module" and then you would have a hardware unit to plug everything into that would connect to the iPad via an app. This is kind of what this guitar amp company is doing now. https://www.positivegrid.com/spark
                          It would be cool but it's hard making something like that with very low latency. Maybe if it was like a regular module in all aspects but with the option to use the ipad as a monitor and remote for it. Guitarists can live with 10+ milliseconds of delay (they can stand 10 feet from their amps and get that delay), drummers not so much.

Comment

Hi new to this thread but really interested on how the project is going. Do you have a site going over your hardware?
                            I have been looking to do this myself, I have coding and hardware experence so happy to help if you want it.

Comment

Working...
                            X