Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Hihat Cymbal with VH-11 motion sensor and regular clutch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Hihat Cymbal with VH-11 motion sensor and regular clutch?

So I Bought a VH-11 Motion sensor for my hihat. (A2E)
    Obviously I found out that a regular hihat clutch does not work on this motion sensor.

Is there any way to adapt a regular clutch to make it work on the VH-11 Motion sensor?
    Or is the only option to buy the VH-11 clutch ?

Ludwig Epic, Roland Mesh-heads, DIY Cymbals, Roland TD-9, EZdrummer2 + EZX

There is another option. Try the goEdrum hi hat sensor for only $49 on eBay and use a Yamaha PCY13" cymbal. Used on eBay for about $80.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goedrum-Elec...4AAOSwstxVBvJ6
    Justin Greenewalt of 65Drums.com explains it well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtu3dImXVU

Justin's solution should work with your VH11 with the right parts.
    ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

I'm not realy interrested in another cymbal of sensor, unless there are zero options
      I'll watch the video...

Comment

Fixed the problem :-)
        I made the center-hole in the bottomcymbal wider (30mm) so that it fits around the "inner-sensor".
        Then I measured the distance wich is needed to close the sensor when the cymbals are closed.
        A little pvc pipe between the sensor and the clutch (with the same diameter) and job done !

I will try to post some pics later.

Comment

Did a test-ride yesterday.
          Works like a charm :-)

Comment

Hi Dream drummer, just wondering how good the performance of the mod you have done above is? I'm interested in something similar but with the GoEdrum controller rather than the vh11 controller. Does the bottom cymbal ever cause mistriggering?

Comment

Originally posted by JQ85 View Post
              Hi Dream drummer, just wondering how good the performance of the mod you have done above is? I'm interested in something similar but with the GoEdrum controller rather than the vh11 controller. Does the bottom cymbal ever cause mistriggering?
              Yes, the bottom cymbal did cause mistriggering, because it made contact with the top cymbal, when played open.
              I solved this problem by covering the bottom cymbal with a layer of soft foam.
              The foam reduces the hits/vibration of the bottom cymbal.
              And because it is soft foam, I can still fully close the hihat.

No misstriggering since :-)

Comment

Good to know, very tempted to try. How do they feel when playing rhem open or half open. Do they have a good sloshing rocking motion like real acoustic hi hats? Or is the bottom stationary and doesn't move?

What triggers did you use, Jmans Stealth dual zone?

Comment

They rock a bit when played open, but not as much als real acoustic cymbals...

For triggering, I use the Roland VH11 motion sensor and a single piezo under the bow.
                  In other words, single-zone. Works fine for me.

I think it is possible to make it dualzone, with KRC or a membrane or something?
                  But that's out of my league :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X