El Cheapo buttkicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ignotus View Post
    I think it will strongly depend on the power supply you use with it. If you can, get one with at least 4 amps.
    Now this shows my ignorance. I assumed the ELEGIANT was all I needed. I still wish the Buttkicker Simulation Kit was still available. If I understand this correctly it is/was a one stop shop and all for around $150.

https://www.buttkickergear.com/ButtK...it_p/bk-sk.htm

Comment

Yep, it looks like you got everything needed in that kit at a pretty good price. Maybe you could write/call them and ask if they'll have it back in stock. Still, an Aura bass shaker + amp + supply can cost a little over half that. You can use two Aura shakers together for more of a thump and you're still at less than the cost of a Buttkicker. That said, if it's for home use, I really don't see the need for a 250w contraption booting you in the behind. Mine is 50w and I have it dialled down because I want something that simulates bassy sound waves, not a thundering kick in my rear. I want to be able to forget it's there and trick my mind into interpreting it as sound waves produced by the drum. AFAIK, when used live, these things are a great help because the drummer often can't hear their own kick drum and this way they can feel it. At home, the purpose is slightly different, and I think this difference should be understood.

Comment

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post

I know TP you can't comment assuredly on this but for those of us that do not have an old stereo amp lying around, do you think the ELEGIANT amp will work as well as what you are experiencing?
        I can't see any reason why it won't drive the shaker. It certainly isn't the 300W that it says, but it does quote 60W of constant power to the subwoofer channel which is more than the rated amount for the Aura Bass shaker.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePod View Post

I can't see any reason why it won't drive the shaker. It certainly isn't the 300W that it says, but it does quote 60W of constant power to the subwoofer channel which is more than the rated amount for the Aura Bass shaker.
          Assuming it can deliver those 60W, it's dependent on you using a power supply that can produce at least 5 amps of power (@ 12v). Just bear in mind the equation: W=volts x amps.

Comment

Originally posted by ignotus View Post

Assuming it can deliver those 60W, it's dependent on you using a power supply that can produce at least 5 amps of power (@ 12v). Just bear in mind the equation: W=volts x amps.
            Yes, you are correct, assuming you have an adequate power supply.

Also - seems like so far the wood screws are holding steady, but I'll report back after a few weeks of butt shaking action.

Kudos to you Ignotus for clueing me into this rump shaking awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
              the bass shaker came today .. it's heavy a little bigger than area on my throne still wait for the amp from amazon.... will need to mod my throne a little bit
              Tivi,

How's this going? Did you get this setup yet?

Comment

the amp from amazon was weak, probably because i used the 12v adaptor with 2A. i returned that amp to amazon. will try the dayton audio amp plate and will see what happen

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
                  the bass shaker came today .. it's heavy a little bigger than area on my throne still wait for the amp from amazon.... will need to mod my throne a little bit
                  When you get it mounted please post some pics. I have the shaker on order but not sure how I'm going to mount it. Thinking about using a 2x6 as a backing plate and mounting to the lower section of my throne.
                  TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

I'm looking for a power supply/amp combo unit (if they exist). Anybody know of one other than the "unavailable" Buttkicker BKA-130

Comment

try Dayton Audio subwoofer plate amp

Comment

100W version
                        https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ifier--300-802

70W version
                        https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ifier--300-784

Comment

Thanks Tivi. They are bigger than I thought. I'm a bit tight on space but I think this will work.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePod View Post

So I got the AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker. The amp and power supply have yet to come in. I decided I'd give the bass shaker a go with an old stereo I had lying around. I mounted the bass shaker with wood screws, it just fit on the side of my roc and soc. It mounted easily, but I could only get three screws in without having to drill the metal base plate of the seat for the fourth, which I was not inclined to do. It was nice and solid however.

0507172013a by ajm3874, on Flickr

0507172013 by ajm3874, on Flickr

This is an old Denon reciever I had lying around. It's 60 W per channel in to 8 ohm. It's so old it doesn't even have a sub woofer channel! I used the right speaker of channel A, dialed the treble all the day down and the bass all the way up.

0507172014 by ajm3874, on Flickr

0507172014a by ajm3874, on Flickr

I'm happy to say that it drove the bass shaker really very well. I have the volume up about 3/4 of the way to full. I was able to tune out the cymbals, snare and hi toms and still have a nice rumble with the floor toms and bass drum. I'm very happy with this. I'm going try to cancel my order for the amp and power supply but if they come I may use them and do a comparo, but for right now this is working well. PS: my foot and sock included in the last picture for no additional charge!

Had my first good shake down practicing with my band yesterday. The bass shaker was a big help for me and I love the feel. As of now, there is no loosening with the wood screws into the base of my throne.

Comment

I grabbed 2 of these......

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--300-888

And this amp.....

https://www.parts-express.com/kinter...x-18w--310-372

I attached them the same way on my throne using wood screws, so for $50 I have a usable thump for my e-kit that works fine for practicing. It is MUCH better than headphones alone for sure!

Yours looks like it would be a lot more punchy for sure! LOL!
                              TD-4 w/ 3x PD-8, CY12 C/R, CY8, PD-7 as HH, FD-7, KD-8, MDS-3 Rack.

Full Drum Fun Collection, Drumeo, Tommy Igoe, Band in a Box, minusDrum, Karaoke Version, Roland, Yamaha, and 2.76 Zillion Midi Files for Practice, along with my own Compositions.

Comment

Mounted to the base. Gives plenty of oomph with the Dayton Audio 70W amp.

TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

Working...
                                X