Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to Replace Foam Cones and/or Piezos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MichaelB
    replied
    Definitely not tattered or crumbly...quite supple, actually!

Not sure I'm totally undertanding the second part of your post, but I ran a flat piece cardboard across, and it was able to glide over without bumping in to the foam.

pic attached

Leave a comment:

• SiliconDrummer
    replied
    Originally posted by MichaelB View Post
    I have no idea how the foam is supposed to look or feel, but it seems ok to me. Here's hoping.
    Does it look tattered and is it brittle so that it crumbles when you touch it? Also, if you lay a straight edge on the bearing edge and across the drum to use as a visual guide of the head surface, the foam should protrude slightly above the edge.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelB
    replied
    I just did the factory reset, and will test once I put the heads back on (they're currently drying out back, since I decided to give them a wash while I was at it).

I have no idea how the foam is supposed to look or feel, but it seems ok to me. Here's hoping.

Leave a comment:

• SiliconDrummer
    replied
    Originally posted by MichaelB View Post
    Now, my question is, could this be something to do with a setting in the module?
    Absolutely. Have you done a factory reset? Also, when you do a factory reset, the TD-9 has two options -- one for mesh heads, and one for rubber pads. Make sure you pick the correct one. You can check the pad type in the trigger settings after your factory reset to make sure that you picked the correct factory reset option.

Next up on the list is to make sure that the mesh heads are tight. If they are loose, you will also have bad trigger response and this can also cause the foam cones to wear prematurely.

Another possible culprit is that the jack is not inserted all the way in. I have had loose/partially inserted trigger jacks in the past and they exhibit the exact same symptoms that you describe. I just push the cable in past the second detent and the problem goes away.

Or is it more likely the foam/piezos are worn out? If so, how can I test which one it is (foam or Piezo)?
    Piezo's don't wear out. They break or the wires/solder break off and they become very intermittent. The foam can break down over time and you can easily check by taking a head off and checking to see if it is brittle and if the top of the cone is worn below the rim. While worn foam is a possibility, it is the last thing that I would suspect in your situation. I would check on the more common culprits first. Those are the things that I listed above.

-SD-

Leave a comment:

• MichaelB
    replied
    Thanks! So it sounds like the Roland foam I linked to in my original post is the way to go. Fair enough. Based on the problem described, do you think that will most likely fix the issue?

I also found a pretty wacky solution posted by another user here. They used foam golf balls, of all things, but I understand that may not work in my case.

http://thedrumexperiment.blogspot.co...ronic.html?m=1

Leave a comment:

• pumpal
    replied
    No DIY solution for Roland pads that will work as good as original cushions.
    Not sure you can tune the height of the cones so you will need the originals.
    $60 is a good price for 5 pads IMO - $12 vs $7.5 - just eat these $20ish and don't do experiments.
    Prior purchasing though, I would do a factory reset of the module, ensure the pad type is set correctly from pad settings and connect a cymbal that works on it's own cable to each pad's cable to check if these are not my problem...
    Last edited by pumpal; 02-26-17, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelB
    replied
    The toms are PD-85 and the snare is a PD-105 (which is also quite dusty inside).

If there's some sort of DYI solution that involves parts I could buy locally, as oppossed to spending $60 for foam and waiting a week, that'd be even better, but obviously I want to do this as correctly as possible.

Leave a comment:

• carrera4
    replied
    what v drum's pads are with the kit pd85 PDX6 ?

Leave a comment:

• MichaelB
    started a topic Time to Replace Foam Cones and/or Piezos?

Time to Replace Foam Cones and/or Piezos?

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a TD-9 kit from someone on Craigslist, and I think I got a great deal on them. The only issue I've found is that all of the drums play perfectly when I hit the rims, but playing the mesh heads themselves is kind of dicey.

Specifically, I'm finding that I have to hit them exactly in the middle, with the outer parts of the heads barely registering. Even when I play in the exact middle of mesh, I'm noticing a lot of my sixteenth notes are not registering.

Now, my question is, could this be something to do with a setting in the module? Or is it more likely the foam/piezos are worn out? If so, how can I test which one it is (foam or Piezo)?

A cursory internet search brought up the following products, which I'm thinking of buying:

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/0507...909478?inviteG

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Foam-Pyramid-E...%257Ciid%253A2

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Foam-Cone-Elec...%257Ciid%253A3

Any feedback would be sincerely appreciated.
Working...
X