Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to Replace Foam Cones and/or Piezos?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Alesis pads - yeah those are definitely not firing so hot either. The foam in there basically looks like generic/cheapo foam you'd get from a hardware store, so I'll look around and see what I can find.

The trials and tribulations of buying used gear, everyone! It's a good thing I kind of like doing this stuff.

Comment

Pumpal, i'm curious- you said you've experimented with different types of foam, but have you cut them to the exact dimensions of a roland cone? I have the same issue Michael has and I do think that buying an original roland cone saves the hassle IF you can get your hands on them for a reasonable price. In my case they're not available at all.

I opened my pd-105 to examine the foam and as you can see in the picture it's definitely lower than it should be.
      I compared the cone to a cheap stressball (costs less than 1$) and I must say they felt very similar to me (though i'm not sure what's the foam like underneath the coating).. the roland cone was a bit mushier and slower to rise than the stressball, which maybe is a good thing since a new cone feels firmer anyway.
      Cone height can't be adjusted on these pads but if you make your own you can make it to the dimensions of a roland one (tip- 7mm, height- 35mm, base- 38mm).
      If you are crafty and have the right materials just laying around you can make it pretty accurate and neat looking with Bogie's jig… but otherwise it's a bit of a headache. Could potentially be a 1$ experiment though and then it's just a question of how well this kind of foam would work.
      Last edited by red4u; 03-02-17, 06:47 PM.

Comment

That's the problem, it's not straight forward to precisely cut and shape foams .. especially in this case where you can't tweak the height of the platform (I believe).
        But for $1 it worth nothing to try.
        The best result I was getting by initially rough shaping the foam with scissors and then using a flat file for metal to smooth it.. You can use the double adhesive black foam tape to stick it and to correct the height a bit if needed. Final goal - 0.5-1mm above the edge.
        Last edited by pumpal; 03-02-17, 10:38 AM.
        ATV aD5, (Roland TD-15 for sale!)
        TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

You can change the height of the platform by using washers

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking about rough shaping and filing as well but assumed it would be far from perfect this way.

vmastro, you're probably right. It would require to temporarily remove the metal plate which personally I prefer not to do.. too scared to do more damage by mistakenly harming the piezo's connections or something.

Anyways, i'm still on the hunt after an original roland cone before I give up and decide which DIY approach to take. I wonder if a new one would actually be that much taller..… it seems like there's 5mm or so missing at the moment.

Comment

I forgot about that - meanwhile you can get some furniture leg pads (foam or evn felt) and stick one ore more on top of the cone(s) to make it contact the head again. It will make the things playable at least while you are then comfortably finding the best way to source a replacement.
              Last edited by pumpal; 03-03-17, 06:16 AM.
              ATV aD5, (Roland TD-15 for sale!)
              TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

Originally posted by red4u View Post

vmastro, you're probably right. It would require to temporarily remove the metal plate which personally I prefer not to do.. too scared to do more damage by mistakenly harming the piezo's connections or something.
                Heck, you probably have a greater risk of damage removing the old cone. Taking the platform off is not to difficult. No risk, no reward.

Comment

Well, yeah, I guess it's a bit of a gamble either way. I'll consider all the options, we'll see.
                  Thanks
                  Last edited by red4u; 03-03-17, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Just got mine replaced with UFOs cones, they work great
                    picture shows the difference from the old and new one

Comment

Working...
                    X