Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with DIY foam cones

Hey guys,
    My Roland PD-105 lost its sensitivity so I wanna try and make my own DIY foam cone.
    I've searched this forum a lot for different ways to make it (methods, materials, dimensions.. etc.)
    I know people have great success with poron or the foam from sanding blocks. Has anyone had any success with different materials as well?
    I'm curious if you think any of the following foam types would work or if they're even worth trying:
    dish washing sponge
    magic sponge eraser
    stress relief ball

If I choose to go with sanding blocks- is there any purpose behind stacking them up in layers other than reaching the required height? and can I use any adhesive other than the spray one to glue the layers together?

Also, what type of double-sided tape is recommended for the base? I'm afraid the thickness of foam tape might interfere with the cone somehow by adding to the height of it or creating too much space between the cone and the piezo.

And lastly, considering the fact that i'm using the pad with a td-9, is it really crucial for the foam to be in a cone shape? The td-9 does not support positional sensing.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by red4u View Post
    Hey guys,
    My Roland PD-105 lost its sensitivity so I wanna try and make my own DIY foam cone.
    I've searched this forum a lot for different ways to make it (methods, materials, dimensions.. etc.)
    I know people have great success with poron or the foam from sanding blocks. Has anyone had any success with different materials as well?
    I'm curious if you think any of the following foam types would work or if they're even worth trying:
    dish washing sponge
    magic sponge eraser
    stress relief ball

If I choose to go with sanding blocks- is there any purpose behind stacking them up in layers other than reaching the required height? and can I use any adhesive other than the spray one to glue the layers together?

Also, what type of double-sided tape is recommended for the base? I'm afraid the thickness of foam tape might interfere with the cone somehow by adding to the height of it or creating too much space between the cone and the piezo.

And lastly, considering the fact that i'm using the pad with a td-9, is it really crucial for the foam to be in a cone shape? The td-9 does not support positional sensing.

Thanks in advance!
    just buy a new one!
    -> https://www.r-drums.com/english/shop...uct-9869036793

Comment

I know they're available to buy online from a few places, but it becomes quite expensive with international shipping to my country. I don't think the price is justified for such a small piece of foam so I wanna try to make one on my own. Plus I like the challenge

Comment

Use foam tape, so that the Piezo has room to bend/vibrate. Make sure the total hight of the cone + foam tape is about the same as the original.
        You will get different sensitivity because you use other materials then the pad setting in your module expects.
        Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Shouldn't the foam tape be used underneath the piezo itself (brass side)? (Which I don't have to mess with anyway)
          I was talking about the bottom of the cone. Originally they seem to have a thin layer of clear adhesive, which doesn't leave any space between the cone and the piezo.

Comment

https://youtu.be/XyKQ0gQm3qU
            37:00 you see how to make a cone

this is the equipment you need:
            http://www.proxxon.com/de/micromot/27080.php
            Last edited by vdrum_user12123; 02-13-17, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks, but I already know how to make the shape with the help of Bogie's jig idea. Much simpler than buying or building a hot wire cutter... the idea is to cut costs after all...
              It's just the foam/adhesive materials that i'm not sure about. Maybe i'll just have to experiment.

Comment

I had an offer from a Foam manufacturer. I should bring the Original Foam cone to there Store and they can tell me the specific composition the foam is made of.
                but i have no Time to do that. I think every Foam Shop or manufacturer can do this. So ask any of them and they will help you.
                Last edited by vdrum_user12123; 02-14-17, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I'd like to make some cones out of the 3M sanding block. Can someone recommend the best way to remove the sanding surface to minimize waste and leave a clean surface for gluing?
                  Thanks!

Comment

Wouldn't that rough surface allow for easier glueing?
                    Last edited by djska; 04-03-17, 12:45 AM.
                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz173edtgc...14709.jpg?dl=0

Comment

Originally posted by Drumster View Post
                      I'd like to make some cones out of the 3M sanding block. Can someone recommend the best way to remove the sanding surface to minimize waste and leave a clean surface for gluing?
                      Thanks!
                      I have found two types of sanding blocks. On one of them it is possible to peel the sanding surface off. You just have to find the right type.
                      Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Originally posted by Viperr View Post

I have found two types of sanding blocks. On one of them it is possible to peel the sanding surface off. You just have to find the right type.
                        Good to know. What's it called or how can it be identified without having to buy a bunch of the wrong ones to find out?

Comment

The ones I use are from 3M if I remember correctly. There are blocks that have a rubbery feel to them, they are not peelable. I actually tried peeling them off in the hardware store. I bought the one that I had peeled of a little. I also remember the ones that didn't peel were dark gray.

Comment

Originally posted by Viperr View Post
                            The ones I use are from 3M if I remember correctly. There are blocks that have a rubbery feel to them, they are not peelable. I actually tried peeling them off in the hardware store. I bought the one that I had peeled of a little. I also remember the ones that didn't peel were dark gray.
                            Cool. Thank you.

Comment

I have very good results in my DIY triggers experiments, making a cone and/or most often a foam cylinders popped out of swimming boards (often referred to as kickboards or flutter boards). These swimming boards are made of some kind of low density Styrofoam (soft as possible will be better). Avoid swimming board produced from high density Styrofoam (it is too hard). It should be relatively soft when you simply squeeze board with fingers, aprox. they should sqeezed to minimum 2/3 or better - to Ĺ (half) of his original thickness.
                              These swiming boards is available at most sport-gear shops or within kids-toy departments in large kidís fun- store together with other swimming gear equipment. There are many producers of this boards and its relatively cheap, easy to make cone or cylinder out of these by some diy metal sharpened pipes, knife etc...
                              From my experience it is not necessary to make cone. Simple cylinder with piezzo diameter taken out of swimming board - will do great job, better than expected. Cylinder have bigger surface in contact with drum head, so maybe it will be necessary to adjust trigger sensitivity in module settings. For cone mounting I use simple clear double sided adhesive tape (not foam tape) as shown on attached picture.
                              Here is pictures of my diy work.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by AcaDorcol; 04-07-17, 05:02 AM.
                              Roland TD-4 KP compact V-drum kit - upgraded with Roland KD-9 kik pad, Roland PDX-8 snare, Pearl P-900 kik pedal, MIDI cable to windows PC, Roland Vdrums FriendJam free program etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X