Torque trigger vs cakepan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque trigger vs cakepan

I have read quite a few builds using the cake pan. Has anyone used the torque trigger design? It looks like simaler design to the cake pan, but maybe with less noise. What are your thoughts....

What is a torque trigger design?
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Torque trigger
      https://youtu.be/kgRkO_zj30g

Flextrigger
      https://youtu.be/Q9fzPrHNhzs

Comment

I've been reviewing this 7 part series, seriously contemplating the A to E conversion. First time I've seen the torque trigger solution. A first reaction is it looks more ad hoc, and perhaps less solid.

I'm thinking with an instrument that gets constantly struck, I would lean towards a more solid construction. The Flextrigger appears more solid. Of course, this is just me thinking out loud, after watching a couple of videos.

thanks for bringing up another option.
        Last edited by Macarina; 02-09-17, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I think the torque trigger is not sturdy enough, and might give you issues with double triggering.

In any way, both trigger methods are way more expansive than any crossbar or cake pan design.

In my opinion a crossbar works perfect for for a center triggered head trigger. That said, you only need center triggering if you want positional sensing, which is not widely supported by drum modules. Centered triggers will give you a hot spot in the center of the drum, that's why i moved to edge triggers for all my drums.
          Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Originally posted by Jtmbtech View Post
            After seeing those it seems to me that a simple cross bar would do the job with much less hassle.
            updated td9 brain,vh11, cy12c/r, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,ddrum trigger on floor tom & roland rt30k trigger on kick drum,quartz trigger harness in upper toms and snare

Comment

Ok, drum-tec triggers.

Forgot their names. They have reviews on the net, mostly positive I believe, but the price is way up there. Indeed, a simple crossbar will do the same job, but you can't blame people for trying to over-engineer things!

If I had to start over, I'd go with VersaTriggers and plug in a laptop. No more messy cables!
              DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

I like the cake pan due to the Even rim triggering around the drum but a lot of people have complained about the noise. The flextrigger looks easy to build and would have the benefit of multiple contact points for Evan rim trigger but beciase no pan I'm thinking way quieter. Just my thinking.

Comment

I sprayed the inside of my cake pan with flex seal and it dampens the noise quite well no more noise than cross bar system.
                  Pearl Mimic pro on pre order Roland TD 20 bk, Gibraltar rack, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Kit Toys, Roland KC 500,
                  Audio Technica ADH50X, BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

Hi Jtmbtech.
                    I just built out a snare with both a cross-bar and a cake-pan trigger system. I used varied components, so not a scientific study at all but both work great. However, the cake-pan snare was MUCH louder acoustically. This was my deal breaker. If I didn't live in an apartment building, it wouldn't matter, but I do, so I'm sticking with the cross-bar system so as to not disturb my neighbors. Other than that, they both worked extremely well. I ran them through an SPD-30 and set them up as PDX-100s. Each required some minor individual parameter tweaking but not a big deal.
                    Last edited by rudy_713; 03-11-17, 09:34 AM. Reason: added SPD-30 info
                    Living in a Manhattan apartment, playing/practicing on an A2E Sonor Martini kit with DIY triggers, TD-11, DIY Griffin 14"x5.5", VH-11/DW3K, Kick/DW3K, Superior Drummer 2, Mac OS X, Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, Zildjian Greendip Maple 7As, Roland Noise Eaters, currently DIYing eBay IRIN Cymbals.

Comment

Working...
                    X