Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea for self calibrating internal trigger setup.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for self calibrating internal trigger setup.

Not sure how well this would work or if it would work at all its just an idea that popped in my head so i thought i would share it. Start with a normal crossbar setup but under the platform connecting the trigger setup to the bar put springs in so that the cone is always being pushed up against the inside of the drum head.

updated td9 brain,vh11, cy12c/r, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,ddrum trigger on floor tom & roland rt30k trigger on kick drum,quartz trigger harness in upper toms and snare

I think that would just eat the foam cone quickly, and the foam will change shape just to accommodate the extra pressure.

but, hey, try it out and prove me wrong! This is what DIY is about!
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

I guess the added wear on the cone from adding a spring depends a lot on the strength of said spring - it doesn't have to be a super duty coil suspension spring
      Regardless, isn't this more or less solved by the cone being made of foam in the first place? My diy snare still works great after 2 years and I haven't had "cone-issues" - besides with my first prototype snare based on a homemade cone made from a (heavily used) kitchen sponge and the buzzer from a broken smoke detector..
      Pearl Mimic Pro, Roland TD-50/TD-30/SPD-SX - PD-140DS, BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: CY-18DR, 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, 2xTriggera D14

Comment

I think that would create lots of mistriggers or double triggers.
        But anyway, should be tried.
        electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

If the spring is hard it will press the cone into the head too much, if it's soft it will bounce and cause double triggering. That's my prediction anyway.
          MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. kit pics thread

Comment

I'm thinking make the spring loose but the cone raised up 1 or so centimetres above the rim so the head pushes it down a bit that way it won't bounce around but won't push too hard either ,just enough so it always makes contact with the head,maybe even use multiple springs around the platform for more stability idk yet its still just a wacky idea at this point. I think if it fails it would still be easy to just do a normal crossbar setup with the parts so i think i'll give it a try when i get around to converting my 13inch tom.
            updated td9 brain,vh11, cy12c/r, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,ddrum trigger on floor tom & roland rt30k trigger on kick drum,quartz trigger harness in upper toms and snare

Comment

This solution depends on many factors. Maybe there's a sweet spot.
              You can't know if you don't try.
              electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

Having built a lot of crossbars, I think you're way over-complicating the whole thing. One thing to consider, if it doesn't initially shake itself apart, is the spring/suspension mechanicals would have to function incredibly smoothly and not rattle, jam or have any friction when it moves or it is going to cause false triggering. Making a simple cross-bar that fits is much easier, no?

Comment

Maybe use foam instead of a spring.
                  TD-30 module, PDP A2E (22, 16, 14, 12, 10), Quartz triggers,
                  VH11 hi-hat, PD125 (snare), Roland cymbals, Peavey KB4 monitor, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
                  Axis A21 Sabres, Axis A Longboards

Comment

Originally posted by mbejackson View Post
                    Having built a lot of crossbars, I think you're way over-complicating the whole thing. One thing to consider, if it doesn't initially shake itself apart, is the spring/suspension mechanicals would have to function incredibly smoothly and not rattle, jam or have any friction when it moves or it is going to cause false triggering. Making a simple cross-bar that fits is much easier, no?
                    You are probably right.

Comment

What about using Sorbothane?

Always wanted to try myself, if only to isolate the piezos better.
                      ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                      Community Drum Module Document
                      PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

The rebound is way to slow to work for anything related to triggering
                        Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Working...
                        X