FSR or what? Experts please HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSR or what? Experts please HELP

Hello there. I'm trying to solve my problem for the past two months, but I failed. I own a Pintech Kaysound DD602 module that has multiple inputs like any module, Everything is working well except the ( Hi Hats Vs. Hi Hats CONTROLLER ) the module has two inputs for the hi hats ( first is the actual Hi hats and the other input is the Controller of the hihat that suppose to open/close it) without connecting anything to the controller plug, the module gives me an open hi hats sound, I tried to use all kinds of stuff to try to get that closed/open sounds but failed. I tried a rockstar kick pedal hoping it would give me something, then I tried piezo pad, then I tried an OFF/ON switch then finally I bought FSR, I connected it directly with1/4" jack to the input and tried to put some pressure on it, now I did all the previous attempts with different polarities, besides I was playing around with the OFFSET values, but no luck. any ideas would be appreciated.
    thanks

You may want to do some more reading into the electronics and how it works... sounds like you have no resistors or anything? Quite essential you understand this yourself if you are doing a DIY - no one can tell you the right resistor for your setup (in mine I used 11k - a 10k and a 1k together, but this is for my setup, your setup will not be the same). The offset values only push things around a bit, the resistors will put the reading within the ball park that the module understands.

I'm writing a full document about how e-cymbals function to go with my membrane edge triggers and the installation manual for them, because it's a real grey area to a lot of people. I remember 5 years ago the whole thing was alien to me, but it's actually relatively simple - the hard part in gaining an understanding is that the information is scattered throughout a hundred forum posts and websites.
    Last edited by Myrk-; 12-20-16, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrk- View Post
      You may want to do some more reading into the electronics and how it works... sounds like you have no resistors or anything? Quite essential you understand this yourself if you are doing a DIY - no one can tell you the right resistor for your setup (in mine I used 11k - a 10k and a 1k together, but this is for my setup, your setup will not be the same). The offset values only push things around a bit, the resistors will put the reading within the ball park that the module understands.

I'm writing a full document about how e-cymbals function to go with my membrane edge triggers and the installation manual for them, because it's a real grey area to a lot of people. I remember 5 years ago the whole thing was alien to me, but it's actually relatively simple - the hard part in gaining an understanding is that the information is scattered throughout a hundred forum posts and websites.
      Thanks for reponding, can you please tell me in what way you soldered the resistors I'm not that good at electronics ? and how could I tell what resistors I need? thanks

Comment

It all depends on what the module expects from the foot pedal. It might be that the module only expects a change in resistance, it might also be that the module expects a change in voltage. I'm not familiar with your module, so I can not give you direct advice.

A piezo won't work.
        Things you can look at:
        How many contacts does your module input have?
        Can you measure a voltage between the contacts?
        Based on those results it might be possible to help you out here.
        Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

OP, you need to ask Pintech what kind of controller works with their module. If it follows Roland or Yamaha scheme, than it's just a matter of copying the FSR design for either.

If if they have a proprietary design, you'll have to hope they are willing to share that information with you.
          DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
            OP, you need to ask Pintech what kind of controller works with their module. If it follows Roland or Yamaha scheme, than it's just a matter of copying the FSR design for either.

If if they have a proprietary design, you'll have to hope they are willing to share that information with you.
            So the voltage= potentiometer
            the resistor = FSR+RESISTOR Combo?
            I have to try those . I'm really confused .

Comment

Originally posted by Drykick2 View Post

So the voltage= potentiometer.
              Do you even have the slightest idea what you are doing???
              Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Thanks everyone for the quick support, I finally got it and it's working well now. the solution was so simple. I'm a newbie and didn't know that some modules use a stereo plug. I was using mono on all the stuff I bough ( FSR potentiometer and OFF/ON switch...etc) once I plugged a stereo jack, I could OPEN/CLOSE the hi hats using my bare fingers by just touching the Tip connector. I used the OFF/ON switch by simply solder the Tip and sleeve while ignoring the third red wire. It work perfect now. Thanks again everyone

Comment

Working...
                X