X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Ear Molds for my Westone UM-2 IEMs

Westone UM2 with custom DIY mold 2 by Jman Stealth, on Flickr
    Westone UM2 custom DIY mold by Jman Stealth, on Flickr
    One of the members over at the 2Box forum posted a tip about this. It got me to thinking that my set of Westone UM-2 IEMs have been sitting comfortably in their case unused for more than 10 years. Not that I don't like them, but I always have preferred the ease of use and even the sound of my other high end headphones. I have also seen that those who go to the trouble of getting custom ear molds for their IEMs generally say the improvement is significant over the standard ear tips.

So I decided to try the tip and do a little DIY ear mold for my UM2s. This was the original tip shared at the 2Box forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb7bTe5XZPs
    In my case I did not make the ear tip part of the mold. I simply kept the foam ear tip installed that I normally use and did a simple one step mold. I placed the IEM in my ear and surrounded it with the Radians mold material, pressing and smoothing it in to make a good seal. I let it set up and that was it. They aren't beautiful, but they are quite affective. The difference with the custom mold sealing off the ear is a big improvement. Personally I know I would never have taken the time or spent the dough to get custom molds made. So those IEMs would have sat another decade. But for a mere $10 and a few minutes of DIY invested I think I will be using these much more.
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Thanks for sharing.

I wish Radians was available in my corner of the world...

But... darn I hate people making YouTube videos and telling their life story along the information they want to share. It turns a 3-min video into 26 minutes!
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
      Thanks for sharing.

I wish Radians was available in my corner of the world...

But... darn I hate people making YouTube videos and telling their life story along the information they want to share. It turns a 3-min video into 26 minutes!

Yes, I agree that most YT videos are painful to watch for that very reason!
      Once you filter out all the mistakes, fumbling, dropping of stuff, repeating of information, um's, ah's and stories of which have no bearing on the subject most 30 min. videos have about 3 mins. of useful content.

I have the 3 driver Westones (expensive) that I am going to try this with. Hopefully, I will use them more with this little DIY.
      They sound great but just getting them set-up and sealed into my ears properly makes me grab my ATH-M50s instead.
      We will see what happens!
      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

I've never even watched that entire video. I just skipped through it to the parts where the different steps were demonstrated. But that is pretty much how I watch most demo videos. I love the fast forward feature, and the skip feature on my home remote. But the positive is that in this modern age we have a wealth of info at our fingertips that was not readily available 10 years ago. Instruction videos on the net "up the Kazoo".
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Working...
        X