Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Bass Drum Setup. Reflection Plate VS Cone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bass Drum Setup. Reflection Plate VS Cone?

I'm looking for the best bass drum trigger setup. I'm using a Yamaha DTX900 Module with two 16" Bass Drums sporting BILLY BLAST mesh heads. I have made different reflection plates with limited success. Best I had was a YAMAHA copy involving a steel plate, foam, and a piezo mounted with a HALF CIRCLE of double sided foam tape, plus a weight epoxied to the side of the piezo that was "floating". But either the weight would come off of the piezo would break. I tried a piezo taped with packaging tape to a plastic sheet and currently have them taped to a plasic plate sandwiched in-between foam, but I have also ZERO dynamics. It just triggers 100% velocity no matter how light I hit the pedal.
    I'd like to try someone's EXACT setup that is tried and true. Either reflection plate or CONE setup. What is your foam material, thicknesses, distances from bearing edge, placement, etc etc?
    If all else fails I'm thinking of just getting a couple Roland KD9's, taking out the guts and installing them in my astetically pleasing bass drums.

I use a Triggera InTrigg on my 18" bass drum. It's a lug mounted trigger so I mount it to the lug nearest where the beater strikes the head. Works pretty well. I believe there are some here that even use them on 22" bass drums.
    TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

I'm using a kit from Pintech with crossbar and foam cylinder on a 20" bass. Trigger is not centered, it's about 3" from the edge. Has worked fine for 2 years. Good dynamics, depending on what velocity curve it's set to. Sensitivity is set at 12 (Roland module).
      Last edited by bud7h4; 03-05-16, 05:41 PM.
      TD-30 module, PDP A2E (22, 16, 14, 12, 10), Quartz triggers,
      VH11 hi-hat, PD125 (snare), Roland cymbals, Peavey KB4 monitor, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
      Axis A21 Sabres, Axis A Longboards

Comment

Originally posted by billgtx View Post
        I use a Triggera InTrigg on my 18" bass drum. It's a lug mounted trigger so I mount it to the lug nearest where the beater strikes the head. Works pretty well.
        +1, on a 16" kick. Sensitivity is 16 on the TD15, type is set to RT-10k. Works perfect and the dynamics are more natural then on the KD-9. And not having a foam block that the beater strikes keeps it quiet and the feel natural. I personally don't see any reason or benefit of the much more complicated crossbar/foam block/reverse plate stuff and am glad it worked that great as it is so simple and easy.
        Last edited by pumpal; 03-12-16, 08:32 AM.
        ATV aD5, (Roland TD-15 for sale!)
        TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

I just finished a Snare to Bass drum Conversion and I made a Lug Mounted Bracket it works excellent!

Comment

I also use Triggera Intrigg in my 22 bass drum. It was really bad when mounted on the side so I put it on an alu-profile instead, slightly off center over the beater. It's really perfect now
            Last edited by Olto85; 06-05-18, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I have a UFO eBridge on my 20" - cone with circular foam piece to dampen. Works very well with DT 3ply heads.
              Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
                I have a UFO eBridge on my 20" - cone with circular foam piece to dampen. Works very well with DT 3ply heads.
                exact setup i have and triggers and plays great!
                Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

If you want a great BD with plate look at Ddrum 4,12" super heavy duty and easy to mount inside your custom shell,
                  1-td-30module,1-,pd128sbc,3-pd-105,1-pd120wh,2-cy-8,1-td10EXP. module- DDRUM4 SE STEALTH MESH HEAD/BLACK POWDER RACK,2 BEHRINGER 2031A MONITORS,KRK 10"SUB/BEHRINGER 1204 MIXER,VIC FIRTH/VATER

Comment

In general large drums don't trigger easy on side mounted triggers, unless you turn the head tension way up, and even then it will be... hmwao. For a base drum you usually don't want to turn the tension up that high. A high tension on your base drum head is likely to give you double triggering, because the beater will bounce. On the other hand putting the trigger directly on the spot where the beater hits the head, is sure to destroy your trigger, because of the high impact force of the beater.

I've had the best result with a partial reflection plate, that was actually a piece of plywood that I had lying around, that covered about half the surface of my 20" kick. It was the easiest way to play with piezo positioning, since I didn't have to rearrange any brackets, but just could stick the piezo any where on the plywood that I wanted.

I ended up with the piezo a few inches below the beater, and a carwash sponge behind the head on the strike area, to dampen the impact.

It turned out that the base drum was the loudest part of my kit, so in the end I abandoned the entire drum, and now I use a setup where the beater directly hits a sanding foam block with a piezo stuck underneath. Works pretty well, Bounce feels naturally, a lot less acoustic sound, no double triggering, and wide sensitivity range.
                    Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Working...
                    X