No announcement yet.

Membrane edge switches for DIY Cymbals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haggis-man He has switches intended for bell.. but bell won't vibrate enough probably to bent it like the edge, worth trying though..
    ATV aD5, (Roland TD-15 for sale!)
    TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

Originally posted by pumpal View Post
      haggis-man He has switches intended for bell.. but bell won't vibrate enough probably to bent it like the edge, worth trying though..
      Cheers, I didn't realise there were specific bell switches available. It may still work if you mount the switch directly in the bell with nothing between the switch and bell. Anyway I think it's worth a try as the switches are very cheap to purchase.

Comment

I would doubt it would be any time soon pumpal unfortunately (as in not within the next year or so). Larger sizes get quite expensive to build due to the mold size increase. I believe you are also right in that the bell doesn't flex anywhere near enough to trigger a switch from the underside... but could be worth a gander... I think the foam strip on the trigger area may increase sensitivity. Alas no module... bah. Maybe one day I might get a TD-10EXP again... I liked that module.

Comment

Originally posted by haggis-man View Post

Cheers, I didn't realise there were specific bell switches available. It may still work if you mount the switch directly in the bell with nothing between the switch and bell. Anyway I think it's worth a try as the switches are very cheap to purchase.
          Now, did you tried the approach of having the switch inside the bell, instead of on top of it?
          I'm not sure if the switch is triggered because of the flexing of the bell, or that the vibrations. are enough to get it triggered.

@Myrk: Now, you say that the foam strip increases the sensitivity of the trigger area. Although, when I look at your plastic cymbal it seems that the edge-switch is glued directly on top of it.
          According to your drawings which I received, you advise to mount these switched directly on top of the cymbal and then add some foam and rubber on top of it.
          It seems a bit unclear to me what the right way to proceed will be.

Comment

Hi steef,

The foam strip goes on top of the membrane (if needed, it's a DIY based product so it's dependent on the situation). This creates a more directed pressure into the membrane switch area - you can vary the thickness/height of the foam to change the sensitivity according to your exact situation. I generally found 1/2 - 1mm foam strip was good. To verify the pictures only show the membrane in it's location, not any of the other layers. If you are using the membrane just as a choke then you won't need the foam strip, but again I found it just made it really easy to choke with a raised trigger area... but these were my findings a year ago on my homebrew visulite cymbals, and testing a bit on some brass cymbals quickly to verify the consistency. Since then people have found you can mount on the underside of L80 cymbals for the edge. The bell I really couldn't say if it could work on the underside as I no longer have a drum module to do testing unfortunately.

Comment

how do you fasten the membrane switch to the cymbal? would keller red tape work?
              Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

I use them with red tape (TESA 4965, equivalent to Keller AFAIK), it even works on my PVC dampening layer (where any kind of glue is critical).
                Last edited by sascha; 01-08-18, 08:47 AM.
                MarkDrum YES e-kit (+1 crash, Double Kick), modified HH (DIY hall-sensor based circuit)
                Gibraltar 9607NL-DP Legless Hi Hat
                Gibraltar Intruder Double Pedal
                ATH-M40fs + M40x + SRH440 Phones

Comment

Working...
                X