Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY 3 Zone cymbal v2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignotus
    replied
    There are a number of ways you could do it, but what I can't see is how you'd make the bell switch work unless you cut the metal cymbal - assuming you want to follow the approach of the design in this thread.

BTW all of my cymbals (4 of them; two dual zone and two 3-zone) still work fine, almost six years later, wildly exceeding my expectations. My daughter started taking drumming lessons last year and beats the crap out of the kit on a regular basis (no amount of pleading will convince her to take it easy...) so very pleased with how they've turned out.

Leave a comment:

• Reb_Shmuli
    replied
    Hi Ignotus. It’s been a minute since your original post here but I greatly prefer the piezo switch switch assembly for 3 zones. I use a bunch of modules including Megadrum 56, TD-12, and the new eDrumin 10 input model (very cool unit). I much prefer metal cymbals so would your method here work if I sandwich the switches between a metal cymbal and a similarly sized sheet of vinyl?

Leave a comment:

• ignotus
    replied
    I think they're about 2 mm thick. Where do you live? The Stagg cymbals are fairly easy to find in Europe but not elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• AnjiN
    replied
    Hello, guys!

I can't find these stagg cymbals... I'll try makin' my own plastic cymbals! So.. can you tell me the thickness of these stagg?

Many thanks!

Anjin.

Leave a comment:

• mrtechne
    replied
    I will be trying it out with acoustic cymbals. But ive also seen you can mold pexi glass. Or acrylic to the shape of a cymbal so i might do that route if the acoustics done trigger properly.

Leave a comment:

• ignotus
    replied
    Do you have 20" practice cymbals or are you going to use acoustics?

Leave a comment:

• mrtechne
    replied
    Ive been looking at this thread for a while now and never realized there was a hit next page.... XD so finally after reading every post ever made on this thread i fully under stand how this was made and will be attempting to recreate it as a 20 in ride .-. I have 2 just laying around not being used anymore so why not. Thanks ignotus for having so much patience for us! When i get this done i will be posting a video if it works lol and showing step by step how i went on doing it. Credit twards you of corse

Leave a comment:

• lucascha
    replied

thank you ignotus

Leave a comment:

• ignotus
    replied
    That looks right. Just to make sure here's your image with an annotation:
    wiring.png

Leave a comment:

• lucascha
    replied

The junction of the two plates would look like this ?
    Dark orange and one half and light orange the other and gray and a tape to isolate the contact,
    if it is not so, you can post a drawing with two parts on top of each other
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Leave a comment:

• ignotus
    replied
    A few posts above are pictures with explanations of where everything goes. I'm sorry but I'm not going to spoon-feed the fundamental basics in this thread (see preface in first post).

Leave a comment:

• lucascha
    replied
    Shows a photo of the piezos connection on the female connector post.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• ignotus
    replied
    Is your copper self-adhesive? If it is, maybe the surface wasn't clean before sticking it on. I have several cymbals that use self-adhesive copper tape and that's not happened to a single one of them in 3 years. If it isn't, I can only suggest that you get some, and make sure the surface is properly clean before sticking it on.

Leave a comment:

• Bohdisatva
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pumpal
    replied
    Thanks Ignotus - To be honest since I bought also some 2mm rubber, I thought about doing that (applying rubber on the contact zones), but will leave it for the next one .. I am considering now getting 16" pads to make a ride for my main set... I am not sure how durable that ikea pad will be. But, that 1mm rubber I have can be glued on top of it to make it stronger.. though that makes it more noisy ..
    I'll share one other idea I tried and it worked surprisingly well - for my hh buld, I actually used that Ikea mat instead of the top cymbal .. I put the piezo (one) on the bottom of the cymbal. The piezo is mounted using a half circle the diameter of the piezo) of 2mm rubber - Yamaha alike. The copper tape is stuck to the periphery of the mat and it is spaced around 15mm from the edge with double-sided foam tape. That worked great for a 2 zone cymbal.
    It's ugly as it was a test build, but worked very good too:
    https://goo.gl/photos/fnPGEQbaAd7NNDv58
    https://goo.gl/photos/YgtYG7DZrT4Ff3nk8
    The rubber on the bottom side is to add weight to it and to mute it.
    Last edited by pumpal; 02-21-17, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X