DIY 3 Zone cymbal v2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, if you squeeze the edge it chokes.

The video above is done using a Megadrum module. I forgot to choke the cymbal when I made it but yes, the choke function works fine.

Comment

Thank you for this information and congradulation again for your work..

Comment

Hey man this is very cool!!, can you post the wiring diagram for this project ? i mean i have no idea how to connect/wire the piezo,10k resistor etc to TRS/Female jack input, and what does spacing 1 mm sheet rubber needed for ?
        Last edited by felbert; 11-26-15, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Piezo ceramic --> tip
          Bell switch --> ring
          Edge switch --> ring through a 10k resistor in series
          Piezo brass + other half of switches --> sleeve

Note that this wiring is for Yamaha or Megadrum modules. It can be made to work with Roland modules too but requires two trs female jacks and different wiring, which I am unfamiliar with.

The 1 mm rubber sheet for the spacing is to keep the switches open. Without the spacing between the cymbals the switches would be permanently in contact.

Comment

Okay i will definietly try it, i forgot to ask, the copper tape alone can work as a switch ? or i should use rubber/plastic mat/alumunium or something for the switch ? btw Thank you for the response

Comment

No problem.

I'm not sure I understand your question.The copper tape is just taped to the surface of the practice cymbal. Make sure you fully understand how everything works before attempting it because it is slightly complex and small errors can make it unusable.

Comment

Very interesting idea and rly nice looking result... !
                As much that I want to try it myself now

I have few questions if you can kindly answer:

1. What are these practice cymbals - are they Stagg 14/16?
                2. Sheet rubber - is it really a rubber or more like a mouse pad foam material ? What did you use to stick it to the cymbal.. does it stay stuck or begins to unstuck after a while ?
                3. Copper tape - do you have a product name so I search for it online ? Also, aluminum tape is readily available, is not expensive and will be conductive too - is there a reason to chose copper over aluminum tape, other then easier soldering?
                4. Piezos - 2.7 or 3.5 ? What did you use to stick them to the plastic?
                5. What is the feel and the acoustic noise of the combination plastic sandwich + rubber + carbon folio on top? Compared to a Roland or Yamaha cymbal pad in example?
                6. If you could post some product links of the materials used, that would be great both to save some time when ordering and at least to show the specs of the stuff you used. The rubber, the copper tape and the carbon folio are what I have no idea where to get from at the moment. Maybe the 5mm poron as well, though I am sure it can be replaced with other similar material.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

ATV aD5
                Tama MetroJam mkII A2E

Comment

Hi, here goes:

1. Correct. I used stagg 14" but they are also available in 16"

2. Yes, a rubber, harder than a mouse pad. It's actually pond liner, the stuff you use to make a pond in your garden:
                  pond liner.jpg
                  It comes in various thicknesses, normally 1-2 mm. I like it because it is thin, very resistant, and fairly flexible. I do however stick it on the cymbal in two parts - one of the bell area and then the rest. If you try to stretch it over the cymbal in one piece you put pressure on the switches and close them; not good. This material comes in two materials, PVC and EPDM. DON'T make the same mistake as me buying EPDM, it's a complete b*st*rd to glue and the one I bought was also textured, not smooth. For a previous cymbal I made I had smooth PVC rubber and contact glue was good enough to stick it on, and the vinyl also adheres really well to it. Not the case with this EPDM stuff, After researching a bit, I ended up using flexible loctite, and it seems to have worked pretty well, but I also used it for the bell area vinyl and it made a chemical reaction that made it lumpy, so I was not happy with that. In short: get PVC and stay away from EPDM.

3. If you look up "adhesive copper tape" on ebay there are loads of sellers (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-30m-Adhesive-Copper-Foil-EMI-Shield-Tape-Co nductive-10mm-width-/400802689499?hash=item5d51b3b1db:g:RdkAAOSwmUdUXIz J) I bought a 10 mm x 30 m roll for about €5 and that does for about 5 cymbals. Yes, I use copper because it's so easy to solder on it. I don't think you could even solder on aluminium.

4. I used 27 mm piezos, though I've also used 15 mm piezos in a hi hat and they also work fine. Stuck on with double-sided tape. I sand down the area they go on so that they are flush with the cymbal surface. They are later sandwiched between the two cymbals and the spacing rubber so there's no chance of them falling off or moving

5. I've never played on a commercial e-cymbal so I can't say. These feel quite close to an acoustic cymbal. These are noisier than mesh pads but quieter than a dampened acoustic cymbal. If you follow the link in the first post in this thread, there is a video of a previous cymbal - the second half of that video is left with the ambient noise. You can't really judge how "loud" it is, but you can hear the type of sound it makes.

6. Any large garden centre should have the rubber and there must be online stores in your country that sell it - I live in Spain so I don't think the links I could give you would be of any use. Mine cost about €5 per square metre. I bought the carbon fibre vinyl on Aliexpress. There are many colours, 3D, 4D and even 5D carbon fibre... Just make sure you get the right width to cover the cymbal, because most come in rolls 30 cm wide and that's no good. I bought a 50 cm x 400 cm roll for about €12 and did all the shells and now the cymbals. As for the poron, I just used that because I had it lying around, but anything will do, it's just to cover the small area at the top of the cymbal where the upper cymbal has a wider hole; but anyway, I got that on Aliexpress too.

Best of luck if you try it out, but be patient if you buy from aliexpress because the stuff comes from China and takes 3-4 weeks to arrive.
                  Last edited by ignotus; 11-28-15, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks man, very detailed and answers all my questions.

I just put an order for 4 14" Staggs (they are €3 in a local store nearby) and will start sourcing the other stuff slowly.

Ps.> Interestingly, the thickest PVC type pond liners I could find in a quick browse, were all 0.5mm at most. Search for EPDMs show 1mm available but not PVC ...
                    Last edited by pumpal; 11-29-15, 03:46 AM.
                    ATV aD5
                    Tama MetroJam mkII A2E

Comment

No problem, if you have any questions about the build itself just fire away.

Comment

Just a small update.

I built 2 more dual zone (bow and edge + choke) crash cymbals and covered them with 5D carbon fibre vinyl. I also added a strip of rubber around the edges (car door trim) to make them more silent. I made the 3 zone hi hat a year ago using a similar design and it's still working fine minus a 2 cm section of the edge where the copper seems to have failed, but the newer cymbals should be more durable as the design flaw that caused it has been changed. Otherwise they all work great: 360 triggering, very sensitive edges and bells, and with the latest design very easy and cheap to repair in the event of failure.

The whole set (3 zone hi hat and ride + 2 dual zone crashes) cost me less than €50, so all in all I'm pretty happy with the results. I use Addictive Drums so I couldn't really see the point of making the crashes with 3 zones (it only offers 1 + choke) and I never really used the crash bells on my acoustic drum, so I just decided to keep them simple.

My only complaint is that they make a bit of a tapping noise (the crash edges are pretty silent), but it's at a level I can live with.

Anyway, here's a pic of them all set up on the kit. The small pizza slice is what I used to use as a crash. It's just single zone and doesn't look up to much, but I made that about 10 years ago out of a piece of plywood, some swimming aid foam, some sheet rubber and a piezo crudely glued to the bottom; it's virtually silent and works really well. Now it's an effects cymbal.
                        kit_pic.jpg
                        Last edited by ignotus; 02-11-16, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Ignotus, this is an awesome design and it's really well thought of. Thank you for sharing and answering questions. I copied your design, but I'm having a hard time with megadrum settings. Would you mind posting a screenshot of your settings?
                          Megadrum Module, DIY AtoE kit similar to the Vdrumtips method, Currently working on AtoE Acoustic cymbals

Comment

Here are the settings for my ride cymbal:
                            ride_settings.png

Comment

Thank you a bunch ignotus. That answered a number of questions for me. I had a lot of issues with this build using Pintech practice cymbals. I've bought 3 sets and not a single one is the same shape as the next. They either have different size bells or warpage around the edges. I wouldn't recommend them for this build. Unfortunately, the brand you used isn't available in the U.S.
                              Megadrum Module, DIY AtoE kit similar to the Vdrumtips method, Currently working on AtoE Acoustic cymbals

Comment

That's a shame, yes I've read about how those pintech cymbals often resemble a Pringle. The stagg cymbals I use are very consistent in shape and are dirt cheap. Hope you were able to make something workable out of them anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X