Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding a trigger to a porch board pedal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a trigger to a porch board pedal.

Hello. I have one of those porch board simulation pedals that acoustic guitarists tap their foot on in order to provide a simple beat. It provides an audio signal to the board via 1/4"
    The sound is of limited usefulness, so I'm wondering if there is a simple adapter that would take in the audio pulse, and output on a midi channel so that I can use the pedal to trigger kick samples from my Alesis drum machine?
    I can't seem to find anything that will do this.
    It seems I would have to go with something like an Alesis Trigger IO.
    (seems like overkill since I only need one midi channel), but if I do, could I attach some kind of simple trigger element to my stomp pedal (Shadow Stompin' Bass), that will connect to the Trigger IO or similar, and then midi to the drum machine?
    Or is there a simpler way to do this?
    I want to avoid an actual midi kick pedal as it does not work for me while playing guitar. I need something that feels like you are just tapping your foot.

A simple piezo stuck under a piece of wood, plastic or whatever you want, wired to a 1/4 jack and then plugged into an Alesis IO or similar, would do the job.
    Megadrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY 2 & 3-zone cymbals, DIY hall-effect 3-zone hi-hat, El Cheapo buttkicker, DIY trigger beaters on DIY longboard/direct drive modded pedals. DIY IEMs. Some kit pics/history.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything simpler/cheaper/smaller then Alesis IO?
      What is the simplest solution if all I want to do is trigger a kick sample from my Alesis sr-18 (which has no trigger inputs)?

Comment

^-- as he said. Then even cheaper would be an Alesis PercPad. Then you could use the sounds in that and/or MIDI to your drum machine as you feel fit.
        *** MIDI IN: good. Cable snake: bad ***
        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

The smallest/cheapest option I can think of is this: http://microdrum.altervista.org/blog/products-page/ (the "nanodrum"; scroll down), but I don't know if you want to get into something like that, though the guy apparently sells the board already assembled. It's basically a board that takes sensor inputs and converts them to midi. It has midi and usb-midi out. Maybe someone else can suggest a more "turnkey" option.
          Megadrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY 2 & 3-zone cymbals, DIY hall-effect 3-zone hi-hat, El Cheapo buttkicker, DIY trigger beaters on DIY longboard/direct drive modded pedals. DIY IEMs. Some kit pics/history.

Comment

Missed electrodrummer's post. Yeah, that percpad thing would be a good, cheap (if not small) candidate.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. The Alesis Percpad is interesting. I like the idea of sounds and trigger input in one box. The problem is the limited soundset. Since it's intended to add to an acoustic kit, all the kicks are electronic sounds. I just need some basic acoustic samples.
              Also, I could connect it to my SR-18, but I read somewhere that the percpad does not transmit velocity data via midi. Don't know if it's true or not - seems odd that it would have velocity sensitive pads, but not transmit velocity info.
              Also, when I mount a simple piezo on my foot pedal, will that be velocity sensitive?

Comment

Yes, piezos are velocity sensitive.

Comment

Excellent, thanks. I'm now thinking about skipping the SR-18, and instead getting a Kat KTMP1.
                  A piezo on my pedal into the Kat should do the trick and be as simple as it gets I guess.

Comment

Changed my mind to an Alesis Sample Rack. If I rig my pedal with a piezo from Quartz, will I need 35mm or 27mm?
                    Quartz lists 27mm for the Alesis Trigger IO, but no mention of the Sample Rack.

Comment

I'm sure both will work fine. Generally, if you're going to stick it on a thicker material - go with a larger sensor.
                      electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

You can use the small piezo from a musical postcard and it will work. What I mean is that any piezo (15 - 50 mm) you can find in your nearest electronics store is going to be fine.

Comment

Ok, attached is a pic of the pedal I wish to add a piezo to. Options are simply stick it to the wooden case, stick it to the underside of the rubber pad, or mount it lower inside the pedal with a foam cone contacting the underside of the rubber pad.
                          I have no experience, but I suspect that it might not be sensitive enough to just stick it to the wooden case, as the rubber pad probably absorbs most of the foot tap energy.
                          Also, there may or may not be enough room inside for the foam cone option. (pedal is glued together and I need to get a heat gun to take it apart)

Finally - what is the possibility that just the audio output of this thing will trigger my Alesis Samplerack? And can I damage the Samplerack by trying it?
                          Thanks in advance.

Comment

If the foam is exposed underneath inside the wooden case, I'd stick it directly to the foam. In any event, you can do some testing (get a few piezos just in case), trying out different locations using double-sided tape that isn't too strong. When you find a good spot, use a stronger adhesive. Oh, and no need for cones, they're for using under mesh heads. And no, I very much doubt you'd damage the samplerack.

Comment

Excellent. Will do.

Comment

Working...
                              X