Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A2E conversion : Should I saw my toms so they are less noisy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2E conversion : Should I saw my toms so they are less noisy ?

Hi all !

I'm new here and I first want to tell you how much I've been inspired by all your contributions (especially racer52 work and videos. Thank you sir !).
    I've quit drumming 15 years ago and didn't feel like building my own edrum before I started digging the web and found all your shared ideas ans process !

I have a simple question before I saw my toms in two pieces.
    I just bought this kit for 170 for an A2E conversion and I'd like to keep it in shape (8", 10", 14", 22").
    But I live in a flat, so I wonder if cutting the toms will really reduce the sound.

Can anyone tell me what would be quiter / louder :
    - tom with mesh and bottom head + clothes inside
    - tom with mesh and bottom textile head + clothes inside
    - tom with mesh and NO bottom head
    - half-tom with mesh and NO bottom head

If the sound doesn't really change, I'd like to keep the toms full height. However if a half tom if far less loud, I'd cut them.

Thanks in advance for your answers !
    CharlesLouis
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

As long as you take out the bottom head, or use mesh both top and bottom, they will be pretty much the same. Not quieter using half toms.

We usually cut the toms in half so we have more pads, one tom yielding 2 drums, and making it more portable too. Otherwise, no reason to cut the toms in half.
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Hi perceval, and thank you for the quick reply !
      This is pretty much what I thought, but wanted to be really sure before any further move (sawing, sanding, or rodhoid).
      I can safely chose with this in mind now. I think I'll go for a fabric bottom head and fill the tom with foam or dampening stuffs if it can reduce the noise a bit more.

Best

Comment

Real drums do have some resonance in their shells, so damping those shells with stuff inside (foam or fabric) will reduce their acoustic noise. A mesh head on the bottom will lead to even less noise vs. the stock mylar resonant head. Even with foam and whatnot in the drum, the mylar will vibrate and make a sound. The cheapest heads I have found are the Pearl mesh heads. You may be able to find used Tama mesh heads on eBay that may be cheaper. In any case, these heads are super thin and very cheap. They will work great as a resonant head, but I don't recommend them for batter heads.

I don't recommend cutting down the drums. You can always convert them back to acoustic and sell them for basically what you bought them for. Best to keep that re-sale value if you have no requirement for additional drums.
        I think my work is done here.

Comment

those pretty drums - don't cut em :-)

see above tips from tommy_d and perceval
          as an additional note.. the drop in cake pan method makes more noise than the 'open interiors' of the cross bar method, or the angle bracket near the edge method.

great forum here, I added to my knowledge from hanging out here.

and... we love pictures
          TD-20 (non expanded), acoustic look DIY a to e conversion - some cake pan/ some crossbar method. DIY cymbals, VH-12 :-)
          Psalm 150
          had the best times with this band https://www.facebook.com/SaintHooliganMusic
          YouTube video postings: https://www.youtube.com/user/racer52online/videos
          Vdrums Photo Albums: http://www.vdrums.com/member/26923-racer52/media

Comment

Originally posted by racer52 View Post
            those pretty drums - don't cut em :-)

see above tips from tommy_d and perceval
            as an additional note.. the drop in cake pan method makes more noise than the 'open interiors' of the cross bar method, or the angle bracket near the edge method.

great forum here, I added to my knowledge from hanging out here.

and... we love pictures
            The pans will resonate, but, simply putting a little soft foam in the bottom of the pans kills off the tone.
            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

The pans will resonate, but, simply putting a little soft foam in the bottom of the pans kills off the tone.
              Plastic dip works well to limit the pan from resonating as well,also looks good
              I agree,don't cut them.unless you want more toms.they are beautiful drums!
              Practice Kit-TD30 module.6 pc STARCLASSIC B/B DIY conversion.pearl tru trac bass drum trigger,cy15,2 x cy14,cy 12c,2 x cy8.vh12 hats.cake pan conversion.
              Gigging kit same td 30 module .5 pc STARCLASSIC PERFORMER cake pan conversion DIY.Pearl tru trac bass trigger.Zildjian gen 16 480 cymbal pack.direct source pickups.cy15,cy14 x 2,cy12

Comment

I drilled holes in my pans and used rubber grommets in a pattern so it looked nice and we're completely silent.
                www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

I was having trouble with the resonating toms bleeding thru my headphones. I placed a foam pad or T-shirt on the res heads and loosened them almost completely. Problem solved. Each size drum still has it's own respective pitch but I wouldn't call it resonating. I'm using single ply mesh too.
                  TD-30 module, PDP A2E (22, 16, 14, 12, 10), Quartz triggers,
                  VH11 hi-hat, PD125 (snare), Roland cymbals, Peavey KB4 monitor, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
                  Axis A21 Sabres, Axis A Longboards

Comment

Hi Tommy_D , perceval , racer52, Drum, bud7h4, KnipeDrums !!
                    Wohoho ! I'm so impressed and happy to read all of your messages and get your feedbacks.
                    You guys are active !

I'm not really used to forums, so unless I have mail notifications I don't check often + I've been travelling for work and paused my drum researches for few days.
                    This explain why I read your messages and answer only now.

All of these are good news to me and I now can go buy Rodhoid.
                    I've started cleaning the shells and chromes with traditional whiting to make them shine.

Many thanks to all of you and see you on another thread as I might have many questions to come !
                    Have a nice day,

CharlesLouis

Comment

Working...
                    X