Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The start of a new conversion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The start of a new conversion!

IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0895.JPG Picked up this sweet taye go-kit .looking forward to getting to work on my next conversion.I'll keep you posted over the next few weeks.
    8" 10" 12" shallow toms .13x3 snare and 18" bass drum.may try to pick up a couple more toms, we'll see.
    For now , here's the kit.
    Last edited by Drum; 03-12-15, 06:14 PM.
    Practice Kit-TD30 module.6 pc STARCLASSIC B/B DIY conversion.pearl tru trac bass drum trigger,cy15,2 x cy14,cy 12c,2 x cy8.vh12 hats.cake pan conversion.
    Gigging kit same td 30 module .5 pc STARCLASSIC PERFORMER cake pan conversion DIY.Pearl tru trac bass trigger.Zildjian gen 16 480 cymbal pack.direct source pickups.cy15,cy14 x 2,cy12

Definatley going to incorporate the pass through the bass drum connections for the toms to keep the cableing on the floor.( jobecky style)

Any other suggestions welcome!!
    Practice Kit-TD30 module.6 pc STARCLASSIC B/B DIY conversion.pearl tru trac bass drum trigger,cy15,2 x cy14,cy 12c,2 x cy8.vh12 hats.cake pan conversion.
    Gigging kit same td 30 module .5 pc STARCLASSIC PERFORMER cake pan conversion DIY.Pearl tru trac bass trigger.Zildjian gen 16 480 cymbal pack.direct source pickups.cy15,cy14 x 2,cy12

Comment

Sweet! I''ve wanted to do a conversion of a go-kit, but it's a bit expensive and there aint no retailers for it here in Sweden :/
      I'm definitely considering doing the same with the cable management on my Ludwig Breakeats conversion kit. Gonna have to drill up the vent hole on the bassdrum a bit first though. I wish there was a way to get more toms to a Breakbeats kit, I'd have to re-finish the whole kit and find matching hardware for the new tom or change all of that aswell if I want a 2nd tom since the kit only comes with one tomtom and one floortom :/

Comment

Yeah hard to get the other toms,I Plan on buying another full kit at some point.to get a second 10 and a 2nd 12" tom so I can have a similar set up as the td30kv. I would then use one of the 8" for an aux snare drum and likely sell the left over pieces. I picked this set up used for $400 canadian. I' m sure another one wil come up eventually , I'm in no hurry.

Rather than having the cables coming out a big hole in the top of the bass drum, I'll put TRS jacks at the bottom of the bass drum for each Tom, and a TRS Jack for each tom on top of the bass drum and use a short patch cable to link each tom to the bass.

You should get a second breakbeats kit to match and part out the pieces you don't need😉

Comment

Nice! If you can't find another inexpensive deal on another Taye kit then pick up a a junior kit or another cheap kit for the shells(you should be able to get a 13"/14"/16" out of it), Chop them down if you need too, stain them to match and buy some matching lugs. Can't wait to see the final product.
          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

It's almost like Christmas!! Please keep us up to date with pics, it's gonna be awesome!!
            K ;-)
            My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
            E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
            A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
            A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Wel the ball is rolling quicker than I thought.

My previous conversions were DiY cake pan conversions.they work very well and gig with them frequently.
              I wanted to try something different this time .

I just got off the phone with Ryan at Pintech- very helpful and knowledgable.i've never tested their products but after the conversation ,I have very high hopes,very impressed!

I have purchased their conversion system complete with head and rim silencer for each of the toms and the snare.should be here in a week or so.

I will be sticking to the pearl epro for the kick because it feels soo good.

I'll fully document the process/ installation as it progresses. And a complete review of the heads and triggering will follow.

I'm really stoked!
              New gear is always awsome!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing its progress.

Comment

Started cleaning up the shells today and found that the 10" Tom had many dings in the lacquer finish.scratches can be buffed but these are actual dings in the lacquer to to point that the color of the lacquer has changed.

I took out my heat gun and slowly warmed up the 2 areas of concern ,as the lacquer warms you can see the dings changing color.not wanting to burn the finish I took it slow. You can slowly see the finish start to lose its shine when it gets hot, but it returns as it cools. Eventually the ding disappears. The dent in the wood is still there,to a much lesser degree but the flaw in the finish completely disappears. Waxed with some auto motive car wax after ward , the result is stunning.
                  WARNING : attempt at your own risk, take it very slow and you should be ok.
                  The pics show the results before and after of each are.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Got the bass drum done tonight.gunna wait on the tom pass through connections until after the kit is complete. Pearl true track and gibraltar riser installed
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

The vent hole in the kick is at the bottom of the drum, the riser gives good clearance for the tru trac in put under the drum.these pictures show the connector under the drum and the clearance between the pedal and the riser/ hoop.the riser is very secure and since this is a permanent installation I used lock tite on all the riser screws and fasteners.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 3 photos.
                      Last edited by Drum; 03-17-15, 09:28 PM.

Comment

following your work.. good stuff! I love that drum kit
                        I dig that heat gun repair to the finish. got to remember that.

I am also doing a conversion and will do a similar bass drum trigger ...and.. the same drum riser, and some sort of clean cable install... and.. hmmmmm not that I am copying you , you know ;-)
                        ..keeping an eye on you :-)
                        TD-20 (non expanded), acoustic look DIY a to e conversion - some cake pan/ some crossbar method. DIY cymbals, VH-12 :-)
                        Psalm 150
                        had the best times with this band https://www.facebook.com/SaintHooliganMusic
                        YouTube video postings: https://www.youtube.com/user/racer52online/videos
                        Vdrums Photo Albums: http://www.vdrums.com/member/26923-racer52/media

Comment

Originally posted by racer52 View Post
                          I've seen a few references to ironing dents with a damp cloth and hot iron. Seen Youtube videos of them just "popping out".
                          . digitalDrummer
                          Review index

Comment

That bottom-mounted connector for the tru-trac is simple yet genius! I would never have thought of that! x)
                            Looking really good so far, mate!

Comment

Originally posted by racer52 View Post

I am also doing a conversion and will do a similar bass drum trigger ...and.. the same drum riser, and some sort of clean cable install... and.. hmmmmm not that I am copying you , you know ;-)
                              ..keeping an eye on you :-)
                              That's what contributing is all about! Copy away! All 4 of my builds are exactly that , copies of ideas from the great contributors here.I'm sure that most are.Everyone has there own take or new ideas with every build and sharing betters everyone.

thanks for the great comments!

I now find myself polishing cymbal stands for hours as I wait for parts to arrive! Lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X