Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

snare triggers from PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snare triggers from PA

I have a 14" piccolo snare I built with the center bar / electrical box / cone piezo / rim trigger. I am using a td-8 and AD2. the snare will trigger from vibrations from the PA or rubbing the Magnum head. I have adjusted sensitivity, cross talk, scan time, blah, etc, I have the head cranked up tight. I'm not sure if I should raise the cone, although it seemed perfect on install at 1/8" above rim, lower it or put in one of my intriggs and loose positional sensing. Of course I would rather just have this drum work. I do have a 13" tom buit exactly the same way that I can plug in and it works flawlessly so it makes me think its something with the piezo.
    E-kit: Roland td-8 VexPressions, DIY drums of various manufacturers custom wrap bum wrap, Krylon flat black hoops, Gen16's triggered, Addictive drums, QSC K-12, Roland SPD, jeredsystem bass drum lights. A-kit: Mapex Orion Classics, purple burl, gold plated lugs, Sabian Cymbals.

Hi Robcod. did you try with the Threshold option? the pad might be too hot.

Also from the td8 manual, page 171
    "Trigger indicators light on their Own
    Is a monitor speaker or the like sounding at a high
    volume nearby a pad?

Either move the speaker, or change the angle of the
    pad. Also verify the mounting of the pads and that
    the stand is stable in order to eliminate excess
    vibrations.
    The vibration of the speaker can sometimes be
    detected by the pad as a trigger signal."

greetings, Ignacio.

TD-25KV Kit + TD-8 Module + SPD6

Comment

thanks, I know its too hot but I want to avoid raising the threshold too much. I'm just going to switch snares out for now.
      E-kit: Roland td-8 VexPressions, DIY drums of various manufacturers custom wrap bum wrap, Krylon flat black hoops, Gen16's triggered, Addictive drums, QSC K-12, Roland SPD, jeredsystem bass drum lights. A-kit: Mapex Orion Classics, purple burl, gold plated lugs, Sabian Cymbals.

Comment

you could add a trimer to the piezo (or make a box with the trimmer) and go through it before the module that could let you test if by "cooling" the pad (without toucheng the brain settings) you can avoid the extra triggering.
        TD-25KV Kit + TD-8 Module + SPD6

Comment

Originally posted by robcod View Post
          thanks, I know its too hot but I want to avoid raising the threshold too much. I'm just going to switch snares out for now.

Why's that then? Trigger parameters are there to be used, Threshold is exactly the parameter that will combat the problem you've described. Textbook threshold is that it should be as HIGH as possible, not as LOW as possible. If it's rejecting your lowest level intended hits, then it's TOO high, but find that setting and then knock it back one and you'll be as right as rain.

Comment

the problem with the threshold is that now that I am triggering AD I don't want to loose all the great ghost notes and such that I get. Also with the adjustment it is hard to get a cross stick. Low / High I was talking number on my roland module. too hot is too hot and the threshold does not seem to fix how hot this particular drum is without the sacrifice of ghost notes. Every other pad I have, tru trac, 13" tom, pd8 r, all work fine and can be adjusted to suit.. I like the look of this particular snare and would like to use it I was fishing for something to try other than doing a rebuild several times to try heights of piezo or different piezo. The thing about DIY is just when it all works well I tweak something to work great and then have to go down the line and fix the next thing. I can relate it to painting the walls of a room and then noticing the ceiling now looks bad.

Comment

I' ve had issues with hart magnum heads and irratic triggering.seemed fine on 8"10" and 12" toms but on my snare (worse with higher tension and larger drum size)the head would resonate.loud instruments ,and even after struck with the stick the extra ringing of the head would cause erroneous triggering. I raised threshold,which stopped the issue , but lost the light nuances that you need for your snare. The fix for me was to switch to a roland 2 ply head.
              Practice Kit-TD30 module.6 pc STARCLASSIC B/B DIY conversion.pearl tru trac bass drum trigger,cy15,2 x cy14,cy 12c,2 x cy8.vh12 hats.cake pan conversion.
              Gigging kit same td 30 module .5 pc STARCLASSIC PERFORMER cake pan conversion DIY.Pearl tru trac bass trigger.Zildjian gen 16 480 cymbal pack.direct source pickups.cy15,cy14 x 2,cy12

Comment

Working...
              X