Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY dual trigger platform for A to E conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY dual trigger platform for A to E conversion

Hi all, Finally i managed to finish my DIY A-E dual trigger platform.

It is very solid but also very light. It's made out of CNC milled two 3mm plywood layers with 20mm of XPS(used for house building) in between.
    In the XPS i milled some grooves for wire routing and for the brackets.
    To ensure rigity i made for all sizes of shells a platform.
    This goes from 10" to 22". Pricewise...under 30 euros per platform for 10" to 16".
    The brackets are CNCmilled ou of 1.5mm aluminum.
    The advantage is that you can use your lug screws to fix the platform and as the brackets are adjustable,
    it will fit for any non conform shell(if not exactly 12" or whatever) and by turning the brackets you can adapt in height so that the trigger cone just passes 2mm above the Edge.
    Like this i have perfect trigger results. The 35mm head piezo is mounted on an aluminum plate which is fixed on a 5mm foam cushion.
    The 35mm rim piezo is mounted on the lower plywood where the brackets are fixed on.
    Actually i have the platform on my converted A set with 12" and 13" 6 lug, cut in half toms and a 14" steal snare wirh 10 lugs.
    Bassdrum still needs to be tested...
    With Dmitris tips for pads settings he gave in the Megadrum forum, i managed to get perfect(for me) trigger results with Megadrum.
    It will also work with other modules

Take a look at my pictures and feel free to comment.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by Chrescht; 03-02-15, 02:10 PM.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Looking great. I currently use a simple crossbar design, but have been thinking about something like you made, because I think it will give a more reproducible rim response. I notice a higher sensitivity of the rim if I hit it near the location where the crossbar is mounted to the shell. Your approach would eliminate that.

For my base drum I made something similar then you did, but only for the lower side. I mainly did it because it gave me room to find the best location to mount my trigger.
      DSC_0575.JPG
      Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Hi Viper,

Thanks.

Looks great what you made for your bassdrum
        So the piezo is off-center?

Greetings

Chrescht

Comment

Originally posted by Chrescht View Post
          So the piezo is off-center?
          Chrescht
          Yep. The impact of the beater, can be quite hard on your piezo, if you strike it directly. Several sources on this forum can confirm this. Actually I only equipped my snare wit a center-mounted piezo for positional sensing. All my toms are side mounted, to avoid the dreadful hot spot.
          Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

If someone needs a platform for his conversion, just let me know.

Chrescht

Comment

Nice clean design Chrescht! And your's too Viper!
              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
              http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Thanks fulrmr

Comment

I've been slammed at work, but I have cut crossbars. I think that's worth redoing the snare based on this. And probably the bass drum simply because I have an even number of lugs but a single crossbar would run at a diagonal and look odd.
                  Yamaha DTX-502, KP65 kick, TP100 snare, RHH130 hats, TP65 toms, PCY130S crash. PCY150S ride

Comment

How Much would a platform cost for a 12" drum.?
                    TD-6 Vexed... TD-12 vexed .... hard at work on an A to E conversion and pretty sure that will never end till i do.....lol

Comment

10" 6 lugs costs 20 Euros.
                      Platform, brackets, head and rim Piezos and wires included.(No Foamcones and no Jack/XLR included)
                      Every inch more costs 1 Euro more. Up to 16".
                      For 8 Lugs add 1 Euro and for 10 Lugs add 2 Euros.

For Basssrum, 20" 6 lugs with off centered Piezo costs 40 Euros.
                      Platform and brackets included.
                      Up to 23".
                      For 8 Lugs add 1 Euro and for 10 Lugs add 2 Euros.
                      Schipping costs not included

Comment

Working...
                      X